Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Victory for non-Franchise Football

MK Dons crash out of the play off's tonight at the 'national hockey stadium', just a shame they aren't a few divisions lower than league two - what the FA and the Football League have let them do to Wimbledon and all their fans is disgusting

Comments

• Options
    The "national hockey stadium"(chunders)what a joke? Not a proper footy team as far as i'm concerned, good ridance to mk dons.i wouldn't go there if we had a fixture against them out of principle.
  • Options
    glad they lost. move into their new stadium next year, here's hoping they fail miserably.
  • Options
    was listening to talksport yesterday morning and they said that much like shrewsbury the week before MK Dons will be playing their last game at theor stadium before moving. How dare they compare the two .

So happy to see them stay down maybe if they start struggling financially the league can give afc wimbledon their plave back.
  • Options
    Excellent. Stuff the Franchise.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I totally agree but remember Arsenal was the first Franchise FC in the modern area and Charlton was the second when we moved to Catford. Indeed the league rules were brought in to stop the club changing it's name to Catford. Which is why they have had to include "dons" in their name, I believe.

And as an aside, if we had not moved to Catford, I may never have been an Addick fan, as my family come from Catford and my grandfather started supporting them during this period.
  • Options
    sorry bing but I don't see how you can compare a team with a long history playing at the same ground being taken halfway up the country to two teams that had only fairly recently started moving a few miles across the same city.
  • Options
    To think that the club were going to play a "friendly" with them.

Their new ground looks good, pity its not for a real club with real history. Amongst all true supporters MK Dons must be one of the most hated.
  • Options
    I don't see why you can't compare Arsenal to them. Great result last night. :-)

Also Forrest lost to Yeovil, massive upset after Forrest were 2-0 after their away leg. It wasn't that long ago that Yeovil were in the same league as Bromley!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I totally agree but remember Arsenal was the first Franchise FC in the modern area and Charlton was the second when we moved to Catford. Indeed the league rules were brought in to stop the club changing it's name to Catford.

Christ, Catford Athletic......where was our ground, Binger, the Dog Track?

Just imagine the exile days: we could have had 'The Dog Track Party' instead of 'The Valley Party' when we were fighting the local elections.
  • Options
    It was The Mount - which you can still see if you take a trip to Mountsfield Park, since the bowl of the ground remains. The compromise was that the merged team took our name, but wore the blue (?) colours of Catford Southend.

Of course, without Arsenal moving from Plumstead to Highbury in 1913, we probably wouldn't have become a senior team that summer. Which is a bit of a weird thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for that, Inspector. Now you mention it, playing at The Mount does ring a bell - I should have remembered reading it before.

Interesting bit you put in about the Arsenal moving........if they'd stayed put, all of us could naturely have been Arsenal
    supporters! Funny old game.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]sorry bing but I don't see how you can compare a team with a long history playing at the same ground being taken halfway up the country to two teams that had only fairly recently started moving a few miles across the same city.

I wasn't really trying to compare the two, merely pointing out that they weren't the first franchise to move.

Going back to the Arsenal situation though, remember this was in 1913 and transport was not as it is today. Being a working class game and money tight, it must have been very tough on the locals of Woolwich to have had their club moved to an alien part of London. It does, perhaps, explain why the vacuum created by their move led to the emergence of the Addicks.

If you take our abortive move to Catford, as I understand it, it was thought to enable us to tap into a reserve of potential support in that area because the support base in Woolwich could not sustain us, some of which was due to the continuing attachment to Arsenal even after they had departed the area.