Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russell Slade - leading football data collection action (p2)

13»

Comments

• Options
    The Lawyer leading the action with Russell Slade? one Chris Farnell..
  • Options
    Slade and Farnell, now there's a dream team...
  • Options
    Players not happy with 20 grand a week want to take more money out of the beautiful game. 
  • Options
    Players not happy with 20 grand a week want to take more money out of the beautiful game. 
    No, this is more about lower league players that are on nowhere near that amount of money per week 
  • Options
    Parasites
  • Options
    Hoping this will bring an end to data-driven football and we can concentrate on just getting the ball in the other team’s net. Not sure why people have a problem with this.
  • Options
    wow this could be big
  • Options
    Wasn't Farnell struck off ? :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Won't go anywhere.

I think Slade's just upset that his 90's management style has been left behind.
  • Options
    We've done a quick take on this for the Dossiers website. 

Unashamedly cynical...
  • Options
    Taking Farnell out of the equation, they kind of have a point. Obviously anyone can collect data on a match, player etc., but if you're then flogging that data maybe the players deserve a cut too? Just like image rights and that sort of thing. I really don't know how it works though or how legitimate this action is.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Taking Farnell out of the equation, they kind of have a point. Obviously anyone can collect data on a match, player etc., but if you're then flogging that data maybe the players deserve a cut too? Just like image rights and that sort of thing. I really don't know how it works though or how legitimate this action is.
    But where does it stop? 

Do you have to pay a player a royalty for noting down on the back of your programmes who started and who was sub? 
  • Options
    If a theatre critic mentions a performer in a paid for newspaper, ought the performer get a cut?
    How about football journalists?
  • Options
    Yeah, i totally get the last two posts. But the difference here is that someone is gathering data not just for fun (charltonlife stats) but to sell on. I guess the question is who owns the data. The players, the clubs, the efl, the fa or maybe its just out there and can't be owned by anyone? There is no real answer, so this will probably go nowhere!
  • Options
    Doesn’t the data statistics belong to those who take the trouble to collect and collate, not the footballers?
    If I were paid to stand at the Tigers Head traffic lights and tell Nissan how many Toyotas drove past within an hour, I wouldn’t be liable to reward the Toyota drivers for driving past.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Not yet - but we live in hope!

Edit - but I found this link on the Rochdale fans' forum, and it appears that Sean McHugh, who was Southall's chief finance officer at CAFC, no longer has a certificate to practise as a chartered accountant.  
    https://find.icaew.com/members/sutton/shaun-mchugh/Z1kvl0Q

I wonder what that's all about?
    A practising certificate is needed to carry out audit work or offer accounting services to the general public, but if you're a chartered accountant working outside of practice then you don't need one. Not having one doesn't mean you're not a chartered accountant, and certainly not that you've broken the rules.
    Nothing to see here, sadly.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Hoping this will bring an end to data-driven football and we can concentrate on just getting the ball in the other team’s net. Not sure why people have a problem with this.
    This is such bovine nonsense. How do you think Brentford have turned themselves into a viable Premiership team? 
  • Options
    Ignoring the footballing aspect, this is going to be a really interesting test of GDPR interpretation. I would argue that most of the data, such as height, which Russel Slade points to as an example of Personal Data is publicly available on sites such as Wikipedia and therefore using that data could be considered legitimate use.

Charlton has the data of our players publicly available on our site:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/team/player/5950fc82e1e06/profile

I'm not sure that data scraping companies are doing much wrong here to be honest, even though I would question the ethics of selling such data.