Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chinese state owned construction firm signs £2.5b deal to build modular homes in UK

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2016

For my property portfolio I can't wait to be able to ring up and ask for two number 6, one number 24 and egg fried rice...

Why would someone flag this??? Pathetic really!
  • Options

I think they are 40% cheaper to build. Obviously land costs are the same.

Doesn't mean a reduction in price to the consumer though...
  • Options
    Will these properties be mortgageable in 20 - 30 years time?
  • Options
    Did they call them prefabs when I was young?
  • Options
    This stance towards timber framed housing is very dated.

People used to love concrete houses - "must be solid etc" - before they found them damp and susceptible towards concrete cancer.

Those old fashioned oak beamed houses do ok eh? Plus bricks aren't very environmentally friendly and most of 'brick' built houses are made using breeze blocks for the structure.

That said, if these houses are pre-made in China, i'd want to see their FSC certification, their CE rating, BSS cert etc.

I wouldn't use Chinese timber to put a roof on my shed let alone build a house out of it.
  • Options
    Apologies in advance for this, I am aware I am being prejudiced here, but if you have ever bought anything from a Chinese shop, you would not want to live in a house made there.
  • Options
    Great.
  • Options

Nothing wrong with timber houses at all. Have great insulation properties and if constructed well using quality materials you can build equally sound houses as brick. Look at Scandinavia and North America and Canada.

What these look like are cheap timber framed plywood skins with decent enough insulation. Will they still be habitable in 100 years ? I can't see it. I certainly wouldn't want to pay money for one.

Cheap affordable ? Homes for the plebs.

As you say, nothing wrong with them. We do have some very old oak framed ones in this country too. But we all know these are not going to be top end or anything close.
    More like mass produced crud like post war prefabs, loved by those who didn't live in them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not liking this...
  • Options
    Plenty of post war prefabs still about - I know Lewisham Homes have some in Catford/Bellingham.

Not only do the existing residents love them, but there is a waiting to list of people who really want to live in them
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Plenty of post war prefabs still about - I know Lewisham Homes have some in Catford/Bellingham.

Not only do the existing residents love them, but there is a waiting to list of people who really want to live in them

I don't think they are mortgageable though, might be wrong
  • Options
    Thinking of going back on there to flag @Cabes post
  • Options
    Disapointed is an understatement
  • Options
    Here from the "whose rack" thread.

Nothing to say, just wanted a break...
  • Options

Addickted said:

Great leader and King of Admin - this is one of those very rare occasions when you are wrong.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

Great leader and King of Admin - this is one of those very rare occasions when you are wrong.
    Oh okay, cheers Robert

• Options

Greenie said:

For my property portfolio I can't wait to be able to ring up and ask for two number 6, one number 24 and egg fried rice...

Because I am Chinese and think this is not acceptable. Just lazy racial sterotyping in my view. Is that ok enough?
    No not really mate. Its obviously a joke FFS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016

Addickted said:

Very different climates in Scandinavia and Canada to ours.

Pacific coast of Canada in British Columbia has a very mild and wet climate.

Timber houses are still very common. The timber houses constructed in both Canada and Scandinavia use top end timber. I fully expect the construction of these units will be done like most other new constructs in the UK using cheapest materials possible and made to look good but with no thought for longevity.

I wouldn't buy one. Don't think you'll see many Tory politicians moving into one either.

It's a smoke and mirrors cheapest possible attempt to help solve the housing crisis. In the short term it will help I'm sure but God knows what state these properties will be in after fifty years

50 years is pushing it quite a bit. I worked on The Millenium Village for 4 years as a window fitter and was told by an architect that the life span for these buildings was 25 years.
    Well if that's even remotely accurate then these buildings will be worthless in terms of a property investment and will not be mortgageable. If the builds are showing big problems in thirty years time who in there right mind would offer a mortgage that ends in another 25 years ? What's more who would burden themselves with them ?

I still maintain its a godsend and cheap option godsend for the politicians to resolve the housing crisis. By the time the poor quality time bomb explodes they will be long out of office and comfortable in their brick built piles.

The three little pigs story springs to mind.

• Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Because I am Chinese and think this is not acceptable. Just lazy racial sterotyping in my view. Is that ok enough?
    No not really mate. Its obviously a joke FFS.
    Maybe you and I just don't have the same sense of humour there then. Let's just draw a line here then shall we.
  • Options
    I say get Paddy, Seth and Jessie involved too
  • Options
    The article says "Chinese state-owned construction firm signs £2.5bn deal to build modular homes with UK housing association." So I presume these properties are for rent and not to buy.
  • Options
    And Adam Chicksen, and Zheng Zhi
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Good shout.

Seth, Paddy, Jessie and GreenWithEnvy [vs] LTGTR, Greenie,

There's a bit of potential here for a decent 5-aside match too..
  • Options
    It is fairly obvious that these are cheap houses for the poor. As harsh as that sounds the poor need to live somewhere and they would rather live in a cheap house than have nowhere to live.

Assuming that these properties will not, literally, fall down I can see the waiting list to buy them exceeding supply for decades. Even if they are not going to be acceptable to all the High Street lenders there will be something in place to ensure that first time buyers will be able to get mortgages on them.

The most crucial element of the demand for them will be the location. If they built them within an hours train to London they would be able to make a big impact in the housing shortage in the South East.

What's not to like?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Leuth said:

Good shout.

Seth, Paddy, Jessie and GreenWithEnvy [vs] LTGTR, Greenie,

There's a bit of potential here for a decent 5-aside match too..
    By LTGTR you mean let the good times roll?

You'd have to ask him for a brief truce re: his ongoing beef with Irving. That one is now spanning quite a few threads
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The problem with house building is that it HA developments are almost entirely off the back of new build for sale. A new development project will have 15-20% affordable tucked away at the back of an estate, which in the South will be £500k+ houses. We need to have whole estates built specifically for rental. Whether they are flat-packed or built by Chinese is irrelevant.