Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sid O'Linn RIP

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Where's the badge? And RIP...
  • cafc-west said:

Where's the badge? And RIP...

No badges then. Nothing on the shirt between 1947 and about 1965

Apologies for the wrong way round picture. Can Admin sort it?
  • RIP and God bless, Sid
  • He always played with the collar of his shirt turned up. Stuart Leary, Eddie Firmani and Sid O'Linn what a forward line!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2016
    Don't think I actually saw him play, though he was very much a name mentioned around the place at the time I started going in late 1957.
    Haven't got Colin Cameron's Valiant 500 to hand, so can someone please tell me when he finally stopped playing for us.
    Cheers.
    Oh and of course RIP Sid.....RIP.
  • He always played with the collar of his shirt turned up. Stuart Leary, Eddie Firmani and Sid O'Linn what a forward line!

RIP

Without wishing to hijack Sid's thread , here is also the CL thread re Stuart Leary..

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/64539/stuart-leary-thoughts-and-memories
  • edited December 2016
    Sid, is there any way you can come back and haunt Roland?
  • Saw him play many times - part of the South African contingent - mobile - hell of a shot - crowd got on his back from time to time - a committed / determined player by nature and by all accounts a thoroughly pleasant / modest person. Also played County Cricket for Kent.

RIP
  • RIP Sid
    Sid was a good player a little overshadowed by Stuart Leary and Eddie Firmani, we had some many good South African players at that time they came over to England as young men, and Jimmy Seed turned them into top class players, Sid was a test player for South Africa at cricket after he left Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Other Sarf Effrikens over the years I can remember other than those already mentioned....John Hewie......Cliff Durrant....Brian Tocknell.....there are a few others but I just can't remember their names right now.....Mark Fish of course but that's a bit too recent.
  • RIP Sid - sad news
  • RobRob
    edited December 2016

Don't think I actually saw him play, though he was very much a name mentioned around the place at the time I started going in late 1957.
    Haven't got Colin Cameron's Valiant 500 to hand, so can someone please tell me when he finally stopped playing for us.
    Cheers.

It looks like his last appearance was in the 56/57 season. Made 13 appearances that year. None the following year. RIP Sid.
  • edited December 2016
    Probably the first South African to play for us. Certainly before Hewie, Leary and Firmani.
    RIP Sid
  • Probably the first South African to play for us. Certainly before Hewie, Leary and Firmani.
    RIP Sid

Yes indeed, a good observation, I'd not thought of that.....quite an honour considering some of those that followed.
  • Rob said:

Cheers.

It looks like his last appearance was in the 56/57 season. Made 13 appearances that year. None the following year. RIP Sid.
    Thanks Rob.
  • Probably the first South African to play for us. Certainly before Hewie, Leary and Firmani.
    RIP Sid

Came over with Dudley Forbes and both signed December 1947.
  • RIP - sad news