Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38252537

Good BBC article ahead of today's match, their first ever league meeting!

It's extraordinary really, how the two clubs find themselves at the same level, having gone through completely different paths since the original Wimbledon moved to/was stolen by Milton Keynes.

Comments

• Options
    neither are the wimbledon that won the fa cup
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

I hope the real Dons smash em and give them a real hard time. What were they singing last week, "AFC we're coming for you"? Of all the fans in the league, they are the cringiest bunch of muppets, even more than the Nigels.

Yes, and AFC w**k w**k w**k

Hopefully the real dons smash the fake ones
  • Options

Who actually supports MK Dons? I have never understood.

Surely Wimbledon fans would support AFC Wimbledon.

Who could support MK Dons with enough passion to sing anti AFC Wimbledon songs? Did people who live in Milton Keynes just start supporting them instead of Man Utd / Liverpool etc?

I found that weird as well. Someone growing up in MK and supporting their local team I can understand, but hating AFC seems odd, it's almost as if they need someone to hate, and with AFC hating them decided to adopt them
  • Options

Who could support MK Dons with enough passion to sing anti AFC Wimbledon songs? Did people who live in Milton Keynes just start supporting them instead of Man Utd / Liverpool etc?

I found that weird as well. Someone growing up in MK and supporting their local team I can understand, but hating AFC seems odd, it's almost as if they need someone to hate, and with AFC hating them decided to adopt them

There was a bit of a shouting confrontation between a few Charlton and MK fans at Charlton train station after a game a few seasons ago. One of the MK, a bloke about 40, for some bizarre reason shouted out that he used to be a Spurs fan (don't know if he drove a cab). So yes it is highly likely that some fans who didn't originally have a local team, or moved to MK, changed allegiance.
    I've got a mate who's a big MK fan. She's born and raised in MK and never had anything to do with Wimbledon, but I've never thought to ask her if she supported anyone else first as she would have been in her 20's when franchise FC started up.
  • Options

Read the BBC article - it has a reasonably balanced view from fans of both sides, including one who moved from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes!
  • Options
    I've always assumed their support was made up of parents taking along their kids who've been born and grown up in MK, and then the rest made up of locals who maybe followed a premier league side, but never went so now go to MK because there's football of a decent level on their doorstep.
  • Options
    I know someone who used to follow Wimbledon and then ended up following MK Dons. However it's quite strange as he doesn't seem to have a real interest in the rivalry - he literally just decided to carry on supporting the "same" club when they were relocated
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    cafc-west said:

Read the BBC article - it has a reasonably balanced view from fans of both sides, including one who moved from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes!
    Its as the AFC fan says in this article.

What they have the issue with (and what I've never liked) is the fact that MK Dons took their place in the Football League when really BOTH teams should have begun at the same Non-League level.

i.e. You've got Darlington 1883 who when they renamed began in the bottom Leagues same with Hereford FC so why not MK Dons!!
  • Options

sorry, cant let that pass without a comment. Just because MKDons were pressured to give up the Cup itself, THEY were the team that won it in 1988. Just because they have moved grounds in between times doesn't change a thing. Since 1988 a whole host of clubs have moved grounds, inc Arsenal, Man City, Derby, Leicester, 'Boro, Reading, Swansea , Cardiff, Stoke........

The only difference is the distance they moved. Most of the above moved a couple of miles or so MK Dons move over 100 miles. The only problem was that they should have been told to keep their name if they wanted to keep their place in the League,

To me, MK Dons ARE, and WILL always be Wimbledon.
    Wimbledon won the fa cup, MK dons are a different entity entirely and took Wimbledon's league place.

This. Just because they were the same players doesn't make them the same club.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

sorry, cant let that pass without a comment. Just because MKDons were pressured to give up the Cup itself, THEY were the team that won it in 1988. Just because they have moved grounds in between times doesn't change a thing. Since 1988 a whole host of clubs have moved grounds, inc Arsenal, Man City, Derby, Leicester, 'Boro, Reading, Swansea , Cardiff, Stoke........

The only difference is the distance they moved. Most of the above moved a couple of miles or so MK Dons move over 100 miles. The only problem was that they should have been told to keep their name if they wanted to keep their place in the League,

Actually a laughable comment. Are you really a football fan?

If some one bought Charlton, moved them a 100 miles away. Changed the name, changed the kit, changed the badge, changed the whole fan base, would you still class them as Charlton?
    And then a Phoenix club pops up in the borough of Greenwich, called AFC Charlton Athletic. Had the original fan base, the original red kit, the original badge, who would you class as the original Charlton out of those two?

I'd class neither as the original Charlton. One would have moved and changed its name and the other is an entirely new Club. Any honours won, like the FA Cup, which incidentally wouldn't be an issue in your case, smiley winky thing, would stand in the history books under the name of the defunct club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm 100% against the way MKD was created...but I've got no problems with people who support their local club instead of just watching the PL from their armchairs

MK had a football team before the franchise pitched up, but the locals weren't arsed about non league
  • Options

If some one bought Charlton, moved them a 100 miles away. Changed the name, changed the kit, changed the badge, changed the whole fan base, would you still class them as Charlton?
    And then a Phoenix club pops up in the borough of Greenwich, called AFC Charlton Athletic. Had the original fan base, the original red kit, the original badge, who would you class as the original Charlton out of those two?

Millwall fan in talking sense shocker.
    God, I liked his sensible blog. I feel I need to go to confession or something.
  • Options

I'd class neither as the original Charlton. One would have moved and changed its name and the other is an entirely new Club. Any honours won, like the FA Cup, which incidentally wouldn't be an issue in your case, smiley winky thing, would stand in the history books under the name of the defunct club.
    On paper, 'officially ' of course they wouldn't be the same club. But the fans would be the same so the heart of the club would be the same.

• Options

Millwall fan in talking sense shocker.
    I always was the black sheep of my Millwall supporting family. Bring shame to them by talking sense and stuff and eating with a knife and fork etc lol
    Don't forget the correct spelling as well....
  • Options

I'm 100% against the way MKD was created...but I've got no problems with people who support their local club instead of just watching the PL from their armchairs

MK had a football team before the franchise pitched up, but the locals weren't arsed about non league
    Many of their fans are too young to have been aware of the non league club

And it's not as if Man U or Arsenal relocated to MK, MKD have been a 3rd tier team for the majority of their existence. Anyone who L1 football deserves a bit of respect...
  • Options
    So, are Arsenal actually Arsenal ?

On 1 December 1886, munitions workers in Woolwich, now South East London, formed Arsenal as Dial Square, with David Danskin as their first captain.[9] Named after the heart of the Royal Arsenal complex, they took the name of the whole complex a month later.[10][11] Royal Arsenal F.C.'s first home was Plumstead Common,[11] though they spent most of their time in South East London playing on the other side of Plumstead, at the Manor Ground. Royal Arsenal won Arsenal's first trophies in 1890 and 1891, and these were the only football association trophies Arsenal won during their time in South East London.[12][13]

Royal Arsenal renamed themselves for a second time upon becoming a limited liability company in 1893. They registered their new name, Woolwich Arsenal, with The Football League when the club ascended later that year.[14][15] Woolwich Arsenal was the first southern member of The Football League, starting out in the Second Division and winning promotion to the First Division in 1904. Falling attendances, due to financial difficulties among the munitions workers and the arrival of more accessible football clubs elsewhere in the city, led the club close to bankruptcy by 1910.[16][17] Businessmen Henry Norris and William Hall took the club over, and sought to move them elsewhere.

In 1913, soon after relegation back to the Second Division, Woolwich Arsenal moved to the new Arsenal Stadium in Highbury, North London. This saw their third change of name: the following year, they reduced Woolwich Arsenal to simply The Arsenal.[18][19] In 1919, The Football League voted to promote The Arsenal, instead of relegated local rivals Tottenham Hotspur, into the newly enlarged First Division, despite only listing the club sixth in the Second Division's last pre-war season of 1914–15. Some books have speculated that the club won this election to division one by dubious means.[20] Later that year, The Arsenal started dropping "The" in official documents, gradually shifting its name for the final time towards Arsenal, as it is generally known today.[21
  • Options
    edited December 2016

So, are Arsenal actually Arsenal ?

On 1 December 1886, munitions workers in Woolwich, now South East London, formed Arsenal as Dial Square, with David Danskin as their first captain.[9] Named after the heart of the Royal Arsenal complex, they took the name of the whole complex a month later.[10][11] Royal Arsenal F.C.'s first home was Plumstead Common,[11] though they spent most of their time in South East London playing on the other side of Plumstead, at the Manor Ground. Royal Arsenal won Arsenal's first trophies in 1890 and 1891, and these were the only football association trophies Arsenal won during their time in South East London.[12][13]

Royal Arsenal renamed themselves for a second time upon becoming a limited liability company in 1893. They registered their new name, Woolwich Arsenal, with The Football League when the club ascended later that year.[14][15] Woolwich Arsenal was the first southern member of The Football League, starting out in the Second Division and winning promotion to the First Division in 1904. Falling attendances, due to financial difficulties among the munitions workers and the arrival of more accessible football clubs elsewhere in the city, led the club close to bankruptcy by 1910.[16][17] Businessmen Henry Norris and William Hall took the club over, and sought to move them elsewhere.

In 1913, soon after relegation back to the Second Division, Woolwich Arsenal moved to the new Arsenal Stadium in Highbury, North London. This saw their third change of name: the following year, they reduced Woolwich Arsenal to simply The Arsenal.[18][19] In 1919, The Football League voted to promote The Arsenal, instead of relegated local rivals Tottenham Hotspur, into the newly enlarged First Division, despite only listing the club sixth in the Second Division's last pre-war season of 1914–15. Some books have speculated that the club won this election to division one by dubious means.[20] Later that year, The Arsenal started dropping "The" in official documents, gradually shifting its name for the final time towards Arsenal, as it is generally known today.[21

Yes. They stayed in the same city and just changed their name. Plus it was still relatively early days of the leagues and things were being changed, that's not the case anymore. Plus the war happened.
    Of course them bribing their way into the 1st division is a different subject but they weren't technically a new club put into a league at the expense of already existing teams.