Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many Lifers work in IT?

I work for ITRM who are an IT services company who offer support and maintenance of all Hardware and software. We also build and design websites, Intranets, and extranets. I'm not a techy, but Sales and Business Development

Just interested....

Comments

• Options
    IT section for a government dept, mainly BI with a bit of DBA
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeps

IT Security (Firewalls, Anti-Spam, Penetration Testing - (stop sniggering at the back)) AV & all that gumph.

Love it.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]IT section for a government dept, mainly BI with a bit of DBA
    Used to be a DBA - strictly SQL Server, no Oracle. Did a bit of BI with Business Objects & Cognos. Good money but I was bored shitless after 18 months of it
  • Options
    ICT Manager for a trade association in the city, v.boring as I am not a geek, but decent money.
  • Options
    IT support for a law firm.

Hate it!
  • Options
    IT manager for a financial trade association.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Hillsy's Up[/cite]I work for ITRM who are an IT services company who offer support and maintenance of all Hardware and software. We also build and design websites, Intranets, and extranets. I'm not a techy, but Sales and Business Development

Just interested....

We also have a recruitment section who supply to the IT industry, from Telecoms, ISP services, to .Net and Oracle.
  • Options
    Kigelia want to swap? on second thoughts..
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Hillsy's Up[/cite]How many Lifers work innit?
    I is well up with work at asdas innit boy! safe man wikid out!
  • Options
    Medders isnt there lots of loaded crumpet at law firms?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Medders isnt there lots of loaded crumpet at law firms?

NO
  • Options
    wrong law firm perhaps?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Hillsy's Up[/cite]How many Lifers work innit?
    I is well up with work at asdas innit boy! safe man wikid out!

Very good Salad...
  • Options
    .... and the serious answer, yes, mainframe stuff.
  • Options
    IT work is for social drop outs

FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Kigelia want to swap? on second thoughts..

Nope. I love small company IT. I get to do everything, including replacing fuses on fan heaters and being asked how the microwave works. The assumption is that if it has a plug on it then I must know who it works or how to fix it.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm not sure which comes first actually...

;)

Mind you 'civil servants' are surely worse?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]wrong law firm perhaps?

I think your right :(

I've been trying to leave for ages.
  • Options
    "IT is for those not clever enough to be estate agents"

That's what I get most of the time :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I'm not sure which comes first actually...

;)

Mind you 'civil servants' are surely worse?

What about Civil Servants in IT?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Medders isnt there lots of loaded crumpet at law firms?

Oh yes, and we're just getting into the season when they wear next to nothing. Lovely.

We had a former Playboy girl here too, until a couple of months ago. She was a lawyer believe it or not! Very, very nice.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]what made you get into security?
    I love it.

Always been a hax0r at heart, so it was a natural progression. My networking is pretty good, I had a solid background in Windows, AD and LAN/WAN, ALways had a natural aptitude for Firewalls and Proxies so it was a natural progression.

After being a DBA, I pissed around as a Senior Sys Admin for a while but that was even duller.
  • Options
    Mainly IP telephony now but also still some TDM stuff.
  • Options
    Used to be a programmer, now work right on the edge of our IT dept in BI - very similar to Alex Wright.
  • Options
    IT Support aswell for an insurance firm, hate it too!
  • Options
    Most IT people I speak to over the phone have a smug superior attitude that needs to be kicked out of them if you ask me. Just personal experience of course..... :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]"IT is for those not clever enough to be estate agents"

That's what I get most of the time :)
    LOL - yeah, thats a good one.

I used to get uptight about the fact that people who didn't understand what I did would just belittle it all the time. Now I just look at my payslip...
  • Options
    I recruit ITstaff.

Does that count or just make me a failed Estate Agent? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]

Oh yes, and we're just getting into the season when they wear next to nothing. Lovely.

We had a former Playboy girl here too, until a couple of months ago. She was a lawyer believe it or not! Very, very nice.

I get stuck with the 58 year old receptionist, this is so blatantly unfair.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Most IT people I speak to over the phone have a smug superior attitude that needs to be kicked out of them if you ask me. Just personal experience of course..... :-)
    Sadly thats because most IT Support people you speak to over the phone basically know nothing about IT. There are some good IT people working in support, but the majority of them are this generation's answer to web designers - fuck all talent, loads of attitude.