Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TWITTER! No comments. Just post your favourite tweets.

Comments

• Options

Fiiish said:

Well no because Smurfs and oompa loompas are fictional creatures whereas blackface has historically been used to mock people of colour and is generally considered a social taboo, even if the wearer has no intention of being derogatory.

Would it be acceptable for example if a white actor used blackface to portray MLK or Obama in a film?

Well that would not happen, would it? I like to think that a black actor would be cast in those roles, totally different scenario.
    My question is why is it considered a taboo to go to a fancy dress party as a black character? I could understand if he went as a slave or some other stereotypical character, but the fact is that the Harlem Globetrotters were all black, him wearing black makeup completes the image and it is in no way meant as any insult. Would you go to a Fancy dress party as the Incredible Hulk in just a pair of torn trousers?

Here's no. 1 off the Google. Plenty more

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/dont-get-whats-wrong-with-blackface-heres-why-its-so-offensive
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Well no because Smurfs and oompa loompas are fictional creatures whereas blackface has historically been used to mock people of colour and is generally considered a social taboo, even if the wearer has no intention of being derogatory.

Would it be acceptable for example if a white actor used blackface to portray MLK or Obama in a film?

You mean like when Leigh Francis was Mel B or Craig David on Bo Selectra
    He wore a mask as opposed to "blacking up". And I'm also aware other white comedians have worn make up in recent times to portray people of colour such as Little Britain with little if any controversy. But Matt Lucas did comment earlier this year that he regrets doing it and would never repeat it.

There isn't anything inherently wrong about choosing to dress as someone who doesn't match your ethnicity, although I'm sure there are plenty of people who would argue you should never try to impersonate a celebrity who is a different ethnicity. But specifically the context is blackface and the history of it being used to demean and humiliate an entire ethnicity. He didn't need to colour his skin to portray a Globetrotter, the outfit alone makes it pretty clear.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Fiiish said:

Well that would not happen, would it? I like to think that a black actor would be cast in those roles, totally different scenario.
    My question is why is it considered a taboo to go to a fancy dress party as a black character? I could understand if he went as a slave or some other stereotypical character, but the fact is that the Harlem Globetrotters were all black, him wearing black makeup completes the image and it is in no way meant as any insult. Would you go to a Fancy dress party as the Incredible Hulk in just a pair of torn trousers?

Here's no. 1 off the Google. Plenty more

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/dont-get-whats-wrong-with-blackface-heres-why-its-so-offensive
    I don't want to hijack this great thread so I will make one last observation. There is a clear distinction between the Black & White Minstrels and what Griezman did and anyone who can't see that is being very naive... and as for the Google article, just because some people have views as to why blackface is a taboo does it mean they are correct?
    When I saw the pic of Griezman I didn't see any form of insult or Racism, I saw a tribute to the utterly brilliant Harlem Globetrotters, the make up completed the image.
    I am white but I can make the distinction, if he was dressed as a B&W minstrel i could see the point because those characters lampooned black people and of course are now seen as what they were, racist and insulting.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Please stop comparing non-white people to fictional creatures.

I am making a point, not a comparison. If you went to a party as Hulk you would paint yourself green to complete the image. He painted himself black to complete the image and i am 100% sure that he did not do it to offend anyone.. that is my point.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Please stop comparing non-white people to fictional creatures.

I am making a point, not a comparison. If you went to a party as Hulk you would paint yourself green to complete the image. He painted himself black to complete the image and i am 100% sure that he did not do it to offend anyone.. that is my point.
    It can be both a comparison and a point. Your point was dressing up as a black man was equivalent (ie a comparison) to dressing up as a fictional creature in terms of colouring your skin, which ignores the history of blackface and that people still find it hurtful and offensive. I'm sure he did not intend to cause offence but judging by the fact there was a backlash and he deleted the photo, clearly he did cause offence, for example:

I also saw pointed out that rather than doing blackface, if he wanted to portray a Harlem Globetrotter why didn't he even get a Harlem Globetrotter jersey?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Was it acceptable when Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence “whited up” for various film roles?
    Genuine question, not whataboutery
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

It’s either wrong or it’s right whatever your skin colour.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
  • Options
    Even more amazing is he did this whilst moonlighting for his day job with Dexy’s Midnight Runners.
  • Options
    Well I was very offended by Lenny Henry in true identity , however that was because the movie was shit not because he whited up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    . Okay didn't realise there was a new page
  • Options
    edited December 2017
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Fiiish said:

How about RDJ playing a white man, playing a black man?

Or the flip - the wayans in white chicks?
    I don't think a crap film absolves a century-old taboo on blackface.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Nothing to see here.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!