Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TWITTER! No comments. Just post your favourite tweets.

Comments

• Options
    The joke is that the SL and VAR are detested more than anything, including racism. Clearly a joke because no one in their right mind would agree to maintain racism, much less put their name to a vote for it on social media, with any degree of seriousness.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    The joke is that the SL and VAR are detested more than anything, including racism. Clearly a joke because no one in their right mind would agree to maintain racism, much less put their name to a vote for it on social media, with any degree of seriousness.
    Well, if it’s a joke, fair enough. But saying it’s “clearly” a joke is just not true. The reason I reacted the way I did was because those polling numbers, despite indicating that 1 in 5 people are either ignorant, thoughtless, stupid or racists, are disappointing or concerning numbers, but not unbelievable numbers.
    After an actual election where 74 million people voted for Donald Trump, I think you can forgive someone for thinking ‘only’ 1 in 5 people voting to keep racism isn’t that unbelievable.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Notice they deleted the racist option from the poll now. What a brainless tweet. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Well, if it’s a joke, fair enough. But saying it’s “clearly” a joke is just not true. The reason I reacted the way I did was because those polling numbers, despite indicating that 1 in 5 people are either ignorant, thoughtless, stupid or racists, are disappointing or concerning numbers, but not unbelievable numbers.
    After an actual election where 74 million people voted for Donald Trump, I think you can forgive someone for thinking ‘only’ 1 in 5 people voting to keep racism isn’t that unbelievable.
    What was the sample size? It could have been a hundred people or less; so extrapolating to a nation of tens of millions isn't very bright....plus, what's that stuff that woke people always tell us about making generalisations about people?

Still maybe you're right; I mean 10,292,354 people voted for the racist Jew hater Jeremy Corbyn at the last General Election, so maybe you do have a point.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    What was the sample size? It could have been a hundred people or less; so extrapolating to a nation of tens of millions isn't very bright....plus, what's that stuff that woke people always tell us about making generalisations about people?

Still maybe you're right; I mean 10,292,354 people voted for the racist Jew hater Jeremy Corbyn at the last General Election, so maybe you do have a point.

You’ve misunderstood my point. 
    I’m not saying 74million people are racists. I’m saying that, when you consider Trumps track record (on many issues), it’s astonishing that so many people voted for him and is almost unbelievable.
    In the case of the poll, the idea that 1 in 5 people wouldn’t pick “racism” as the priority to eliminate over the alternatives is also astonishing, but sadly believable.  
    They’re not directly interchangeable, but they both illustrate that sometimes the opinions of many people is a little unfathomable.
    By the way, the sample size was 3,127. As it says at the bottom of the tweet.

I’m sure you’re very bright yourself @bigstemarra - I’ve met you at a shirt sponsorship night a few years ago and you were good intelligent company and conversation - so I’m a little disappointed that you’ve chosen to suggest that my thoughts on this were blanket generalisations and ‘not very bright’. But there you go. Maybe I’ve missed a point or misunderstood something. Or maybe it seemed I was equating the two scenarios.
    Maybe I should’ve just avoided references to politics. I should know better.
    Maybe you’re right, actually. Maybe I’m just not very bright. 😳

• Options
    Twitter! No comments. Just post your favourite tweets.
    Havent you just commented though...? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Twitter! No comments. Just post your favourite tweets.
    Fair point. 😳
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

You’ve misunderstood my point. 
    I’m not saying 74million people are racists. I’m saying that, when you consider Trumps track record (on many issues), it’s astonishing that so many people voted for him and is almost unbelievable.
    In the case of the poll, the idea that 1 in 5 people wouldn’t pick “racism” as the priority to eliminate over the alternatives is also astonishing, but sadly believable.  
    They’re not directly interchangeable, but they both illustrate that sometimes the opinions of many people is a little unfathomable.
    By the way, the sample size was 3,127. As it says at the bottom of the tweet.

I’m sure you’re very bright yourself @bigstemarra - I’ve met you at a shirt sponsorship night a few years ago and you were good intelligent company and conversation - so I’m a little disappointed that you’ve chosen to suggest that my thoughts on this were blanket generalisations and ‘not very bright’. But there you go. Maybe I’ve missed a point or misunderstood something. Or maybe it seemed I was equating the two scenarios.
    Maybe I should’ve just avoided references to politics. I should know better.
    Maybe you’re right, actually. Maybe I’m just not very bright. 😳

Apologies, I thought that yours was the standard 'everyone who voted for Trump is racist' line, which I have seen numerous times and reflects a distinct lack of brightness; not least because it's usually trolled out by those who consider themselves above making sweeping statements due to their superior virtue and intelligence.

A poll like that is designed to be humorous by its very nature as it invites a flippant response due to its absurd and deliberate equation of football with something orders of magnitude more serious.  If I'd responded, I would have chosen either of the two flippant responses myself as the whole thing is meant to be a joke.

I remember meeting you now (I was not aware that it was you, obviously) and recall good company, humour and intelligent conversation, so my above points would not be aimed at the likes of your good self, as you are most certainly not 'not very bright'; quite the opposite, in fact.  Sorry!

Right, I'll get off this thread now.... :/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That reaction from the bloke looks like it was part of the scene captured by the homeowner
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!