Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    19 year old Carl Leaburn .. ((:>) .. I don't remember these but thanks for the memories .. If you know what I mean ... nice to see a CAFC team getting stuck in and showing true (Steve) Gritt
  • Options
    Remember that well.

Peter Evans!
  • Options
    Me and a pal went up the next year for this competition, can't remember how we did though
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Me and a pal went up the next year for this competition, can't remember how we did though

Beat Man Utd but lost to Luton
  • Options
    What a fantastic memory. This had gone out of my brain until I saw this video. As soon as I saw it started, I thought Liverpool go 3 up and we win 5-3. But, of course, it was 6-3. I remember being so impressed at the time. Did you pay Bruce to let in 6?
  • Options
    Taped Sportsnight and watched the video back a lot during my younger years! Liverpool 6-3, West ham 6-2 and then Forest 2-1 in the final!

Wasn't it played over two nights and we had some qualifiers the night before?

So happy my Dad let me stay up late that night!

Can you imagine top league footballers today heading up to Manchester during the season to play in a six a side tournament?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    3-0 down, 6-3 up
    we knocked Liverpool out the cup
    Was a short-lived chant at the next home game
  • Options
    Remember watching these in my house whilst wallpapering with help from my dad and brother helping. At 3-0 down we all started to get on with the DIY, 3-1 and I sat down to watch, 3-2 and my brother down tools and at 3-3 my dad called it a day. There was no more wallpapering done for the night.

Micky Bennett got player of the tournament, sadly on the Saturday he done his knee at Sellout park.
  • Options

Remember watching these in my house whilst wallpapering with help from my dad and brother helping. At 3-0 down we all started to get on with the DIY, 3-1 and I sat down to watch, 3-2 and my brother down tools and at 3-3 my dad called it a day. There was no more wallpapering done for the night.

Micky Bennett got player of the tournament, sadly on the Saturday he done his knee at Sellout park.

I seem to remember it was against QPR, we lost 1-0 and Trevor Francis Scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't it a 1-1 draw? We equalised really late on because of the delay in the match due to Bennett's injury. Piledriver from Gritty iirc.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Wasn't it a 1-1 draw? We equalised really late on because of the delay in the match due to Bennett's injury. Piledriver from Gritty iirc.

Correct
  • Options
    Remember these Soccer Six games well. Those were the days, eh? And lots of people really hated Leaburn, as I recall..
  • Options
    Remember it well - was rare to have bragging rights at school
  • Options
    Remember it vaguely but fondly as a kid. Why did they stop?

Did sky do a version recently?
  • Options

Think it was the only year, that it was played. We are reigning champions.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Think it was the only year, that it was played. We are reigning champions.
    It had been played for numerous years before. We then won it, it got cancelled the next year, them it got played again in 1990 and were were invited back despite no longer being in the top flight. We beat Man Utd and lost to Luton
  • Options
    They used to have London 5 aside at wembley arena, pretty sure that we did quite well one year (may have won it?) Remember going must be 68 or 69 pretty sure we didn't do very well that year :neutral: Remember in the interval they had a basketball game for guys in wheelchairs
  • Options
    Loved that old tournament.
  • Options

Remember that well.

Peter Evans!

Who could forget the great Peter Evans and the impact he had on that side.

Sorry, please remind me - what did Peter Evans do?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do - they're my videos!!
  • Options

Remember that well.

Peter Evans!

In a school match mid early eighties he was playing for Addey & Stanhope, he called me a "damn white peppermint raas" when I tipped his free kick over the bar
  • Options
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/95-Miscellaneous

The above article mentions us and also the fact the tournament had been around for years. I had no idea, I thought it was only held twice, when we won it and a year or two later when we were invited back to defend it.

"We won it one time...we won it one tiiiime. In Manchester's G-Mex, we won it one time."
  • Options
    I recall that as a curiosity to be proud of, on TV at about the same time C4 was broadcasting kabaddi.
  • Options
    Can you imagine clubs allowing their players to take part in that these days???!!!!
  • Options
    If memory serves me well it was the '91 tournament in Manchester I went to.

I took the opportunity to bellow "we're going back to The Valley", not many people joined in!
  • Options

Remember that well.

Peter Evans!

Played in the tournement.

It was merely a comment in terms of forgotten players.

Sorry if you were hoping for something more.
  • Options
    I wrote this for Reddit a while back:

The Soccer Sixes was an indoor 6-a-side tournament that started off in 1981. At the start it was just the Midlands-based teams taking part, but after the European football ban for English clubs in 1985, and with the tournament getting a rebrand, clubs started to take it more seriously. Birmingham City, Arsenal and Spurs all won it, and in 1988 the tournament peaked, with all 21 of the top flight clubs entering a team (plus Man City from Div 2) at the NEC arena in Birmingham.

And by then most clubs were putting their first teams out, or at least a mixture of fringe players and starters (Liverpool fielded Grobbelaar, Marsh and Molby, while Forest went mostly full strength two years running, albeit with Cloughie watching from home with a glass of wine).

There were some brilliant memories from the tournaments - Coventry's David Speedie bizarrely played in goal for the night and Forest's Stuart Pearce took it typically seriously with many a crunching tackle - but for Charlton fans the tournament meant an awful lot more than most.

Although we've won the second and third tier titles and a play-off final, the 1988 Soccer Sixes trophy is the only cup competition Charlton have won in my lifetime. And the £50k prize money was crucial to us - it was the equivalent of three games' gate receipts!
  • Options
    Charlton played Man U at Old Trafford on the Saturday before this tournament losing 3-0 a certain Ralph Milne scored for Man U that day..Have a photo of the team that won the soccer 6 with all the autographs of the players hanging on my wall.Lennie played very well his subs over both days that was his key to winning the games.Still have the tapes from all the matches somewhere.