Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LES REED: Southampton Youth Development

2»

Comments

• Options
    Always the scapegoat.
  • Options
    Kins gave a speech at the Play-Off Final dinner giving huge credit to Les for the work that he did and couldn't speak highly enough of him. He also let slip that Reed was heading off to the England set-up, which was meant to be a secret, but he had had a good few Guinness by then!!! :wink:
  • Options
    Let's see how well they do now Hughes has got rid of the albatross round his neck.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    His 'discoveries' and development of them has made the Saints millions. Everyone in football management and scouting is vulnerable to the whims and wind of change. Les should get another role .. UNLESS his mode of working is considered nowadays to be old hat and outmoded .. we will see ..
    belated thanks again to Les Reed for all he did for our club working with Lord Llewellyn. I'll forgive him his disastrous spell in management, that was not really a role which suited him
  • Options

Les should never have been appointed manager. It tainted his legacy from 1995-1998. Such bad luck that he followed Dowie just as RM's Midas touch turned to ashes.
  • Options
    Would love to see him back here in some capacity. A real football man with huge experience
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

How Hughes continues to steal a very good living is way beyond me.

Nasty bit of work too
  • Options
    Never trust a man with a perm, that’s all I’m saying...
  • Options

I have just contacted the lovely lady at CACT who is organising the 9 Dec Anniversary Dinner to get in touch with Les asap to come as my guest. It might make him feel properly respected and honoured, at least by us.

this is a really nice gesture .. as we all know, Reed was a vital part of our success in the late 1990s
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

bobmunro said:

Nasty bit of work too
    This I can confirm.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I blame the people who keep giving him jobs : - )
  • Options

I have just contacted the lovely lady at CACT who is organising the 9 Dec Anniversary Dinner to get in touch with Les asap to come as my guest. It might make him feel properly respected and honoured, at least by us.

Was he not asked in the first place? Poor show if not.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I blame the people who keep giving him jobs : - )
    So do I.

Doh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

One of the Moyes/McClaren/Pardew types who can fail in about 4 jobs in a row and still get work. Why clubs wouldn't rather take a risk on a younger manager doing well than someone proven not to be up to it, I have no idea.

Hughes has only ever done well at Blackburn, was average with Wales, Fulham and the first couple of years at Stoke and failed at City, QPR, the later years at Stoke and now is poor at the Saints.
  • Options
    Southampton probably backed the wrong horse. Hughes will take them down, if not this season next.
  • Options
    They sell their best players. No matter how good your Academy, you will eventually go down if every year you sell your best player.
  • Options

They sell their best players. No matter how good your Academy, you will eventually go down if every year you sell your best player.

They've spent a decent amount on replacements though, just badly. Nearly £50m on Long, Carillo and Gabbiadini for a start.
  • Options

They've spent a decent amount on replacements though, just badly. Nearly £50m on Long, Carillo and Gabbiadini for a start.
    I think their time in this stint in the Premier League is due to end. Narrowly avoided going down last year. Think their time could come by 2020. Could have another long stint out the Prem I reckon.
  • Options

Southampton probably backed the wrong horse. Hughes will take them down, if not this season next.

He will probably be sacked before then.
  • Options
    Pringle said:

Always the scapegoat.

Morgan Fox?

In all seriousness, this seems a daft descision.