Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old music at the Valley

2»

Comments

• A bit scuffed up but still plays.
  • One of my first memories of music at the Valley was from the mid 60s (when song lyrics really meant something). It was Manfred Mann's, 'Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do'.
  • One of my first memories of music at the Valley was from the mid 60s (when song lyrics really meant something). It was Manfred Mann's, 'Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do'.

Do what Roland's done to Charlton do to me
  • Nowadays anything by Morrissey would be more appropriate
  • Did this tune ever get played

3 Blokes from F Block and featuring "The Herberts" - Proud to be an Addick

Ultravox "Loves great adventure".
  • May be the song wasn't played - but Middle of the Road - oh Tweedle dee oh Tweedle rum - We are the Charlton and we never run -1971
  • Atrocity Exhibition by Joy Division equally appropriate. There is a song by The Saw Doctors called Catriona Tells Lies as well with very appropriate lyrics, just needs one slight adjustment in the title. And the Squeeze one was the worst thing they have ever done!
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Wasn't it brought out for the '98 playoff final ?

In hindsight it was a terrible, terrible song.

That's right I brought it...will have to play it latter...a reminder of better times.
    Bought it, you bought it - you're from Hastings not Yorkshire for goodness sake.
  • Crowded House - 'Weather With You' - seemed to get played a lot in '91.
  • ELP's "Fanfare for the Common Man" got played a lot around 1992-93
  • edited November 2016
    The only music, apart from Red Red Robins of course, I remember from the late sixties when I first went was the Silexene advert!
  • Gah, this thread has just made me remember the Gladiator music, but worse than that the pitch announcer going "we have FIVE minutes left"

Radiohead - no surprises
  • I'm extremely nostalgic about the Republica, Bryan Adams and Robbie Williams songs. They got played when I first started going to Charlton in late 90s / Prem days when I was a teenager so brings back loads of great memories.

Was always excited walking down to the ground and that music enhanced that feeling. So if it was you @BDL then you have my everlasting thanks.
  • edited November 2016
    Pretty sure they used to play Apache by the Shadows in the early 60s.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIs1k8yuPU
  • I remember the midweek home game against Cambridge in 1978, we were 3-0 down at half time and the first song to be played was Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive". Ended 2-3.
  • colthe3rd said:

Nowadays anything by Morrissey would be more appropriate

Radiohead - no surprises
    Radiohead - exit music for a film would be suitably depressing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit better

Not a Squeeze classic. I saw them on Blackheath a couple of months ago, they omitted that track from their set. No surprise there.
  • Oggy Red said:

Jim Reeves, "I hear the sound ... der der der ..... der der der ..... of distant drums".

Crikey, that must have been 50 years ago.

Bob Stokoe was the manager and Eddie Firmani up front.

I remember them playing "Theme from the Legions last patrol" by Ken Thorne and his orchestra a lot around that time.
    Oh and "Things we said today" by the Beatles, which was actually a 'B' side.
    Do you youngsters know what a b side was?
    "Records supplied by The Music Shop, Thomas Street, Woolwich" it said in the match programme .Remember that Oggy?
    Used to buy a lot of my records there, and Boots in Hare Street (or their smaller store in Powis Street)
  • Always remember when we got tonked by Leeds at home and I thought, f*ck it and played Always look on the Bright side... to see the Covered End doing a Conga.
  • I remember Clive Richardson playing a classic rockabilly track at Selhurst once - I think it was Sonny Burgess' "We wanna boogie", I was gobsmacked!
  • That Shadows tune is a classic
  • I swear in the mid 70's the only LP they had was Abbas Greatest Hits. Every game from about 2:15. It's what inspired me to start drinking before the game.