Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

if he does leave...

Probably had a thread or two on this and several thousand answers that I've either missed or forgot but after seeing what is happening at Chesterfield it made me think that if Roland does just pack up and leave what would happen?

I understand that he probably wouldn't leave without seeing some of his 'investment' if not all paid back to him but if he does go without selling I presume we head straight into administration if a new owner or the readies cant be found to keep us afloat? I guess we would also have a fair amount of debt mainly owed to Roland, which could put off investors. (can he just walk out on us legally? without making sure we are financially secure?)

or in theory he could just stop all funding apart from the bare essentials and let us fall from grace (even more so) just to be vindictive. though that would prove to himself that his whole experiment has completely failed which for him would be a tough one to swallow.

i'm sure this has all been covered but my god there's just so many threads (edit: which I realise I've added to). that's why recently I've tried to stick to the music thread and a couple others cos I feel on other threads I'll just end up getting in the way.

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Who knows what the old fool will do when it comes to the crunch. It's highly unlikeley that he is just going to hand the keys over to, say the Trust and walk away.

The only debt is 'friendly' debt IIRC in the form of loans from Staprix £38m? So compulsory liquidation would only happen if creditors or the Inland Revenue were not being paid and they forced the issue. In the old days a liquidator would be appointed to realise sufficient assets to pay the pressing creditors with any residue going back to the shareholders after taking out liquidation costs, which won't be cheap.

He could of course decide on a voluntary winding up but let's not forget the former Directors have charges over the land to cover their loans which are only repayable upon returning to the Premiership and they would need paying off before any land could be sold. This of course assumes that they are prepared to co-operate and there is an ACV in place which would delay any sale for six months.

Far better to not take either of these routes but to sell the business as a going concern. Whether any prospective purchaser is prepared to pay off all of the Staprix loans however, I doubt very much.

That's my take on it but I will admit to being a bit rusty on such matters these days, no doubt others like @Airman Brown will have their fingers firmly on the pulse :neutral:
  • At the risk of being called an apologist, he does fund the £5-6mil operating losses, he can't get away with not doing that. Also he can try and charge interest all he wants but it's not binding. It's very different from bank interest. He'd have to factor it into the cost of buying the club with next owner, the owner could tell him to do one and his "interest" would be lost if he's desperate to sell.
  • If he stopped funding it would prove that those who have been supportive of him were giving endorsement to someone that has never really cared about Charlton Athletic
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks for all the info.

Unless I'm reading this wrong (I'm not the sharpest for things like this) As I can see it apart from selling the club to another owner his other options are not really viable due to the extra hassle and expense that they will cause. Plus he might not be able to do them anyway.

But as red chaser said he's unlikely to just hand over the keys but in theory he could, right? He would have to forget about any money owed to him and cut his loses. But he could just walk away..

Now obviously you would think a new owner then would be easy to find but if one doesn't show up to fund the club reasonably quickly we could find ourselves in serious trouble.

Also apart from our running costs he could just keep us going on an even tighter budget (hard to believe) and run the club to the ground to get at us, If he was so inclined. Though we would kick up an even bigger fuss about it but I guess apart from us doing something serious he would get away with it. To play god with a football team. This maybe isn't what he would do, well not intentionally anyway but there's nothing stopping others as far as I know.
  • I'm getting very drunk first.
  • edited November 2016
    Typo in the title - should read "WHEN" not "If"
  • Our best option ( although I wouldn't wish it on anyone even him) is for roly to start singing with choir invisible