Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

****Confirmed: Russell Slade Sacked****

Comments

• Options
    barstool said:

i have heard a big rumour that Gary Caldwell is in the frame.

Did a decent job with Wigan and unlucky to be sacked. The next job after your first sacking is always crucial, get it wrong and you might not get a third chance...
  • Options
    Good interview by Rick
  • Options
    Slades last opponents, swindon are 3 down at hone to Eastleigh
  • Options

Slades last opponents, swindon are 3 down at hone to Eastleigh

Sums him up perfectly
  • Options

Cambridge said:

99% rose tinted glasses again. This is another example of getting annoyed with CAFC fans. They hated the football served up. They hated the formations. They hated the subs. They hated negative tactics. They hated everything about the football. Then Slade gets sacked and it's a shame, he was a safe pair of hands, he deserved time. Utter BS. We want to learn - then we should do the same!!!! Slade was wrong. Why wait??? He was right to go. Why wait for relegation and then sack him???

@cambridge When you say "they" are you including yourself as you too are a Charlton? There isn't one view for all fans.

SOME fans wanted him sacked.

SOME fans didn't

MANY fans felt and still feel it doesn't matter as it is the regime not the manager/coach who is the underlying problem.

Not ALL, just SOME, not even 99%. You undermine your point by claiming that 99% of fans said anything similar to what you claim.

The problem, in my personal opinion, isn't about sacking Slade. He wasn't doing well and if they are going to make a change then this is a logical time with the transfer window about to open.

The problem is that only 14 days ago Slade was the herald of the new era according to Meire. Now he has been sacked.

Yet again we have no stability.

Yet again we will have plan.

Yet again the new coach/manager will have a set of players he didn't choose. Some he won't want so they will have to be sold or more likely loaned out to make room/cash for the players he does want.

Those players that joined or stayed because of Slade (Rudd/Lookman) will be more likely to not stay on now unless the new man can convince them this is a stable club that offers them a future.

I get frustrated with those who don't a) read posts properly and b) don't understand them. I didn't say 99% wanted him sacked or not. I said 99% have said they don't like the football etc.

If you say you don't like him, don't like his style, don't like his team selection and then moan he's been sacked there is a contradiction. It is a separate issue to the ownership. There should be a separation in our comments. Yes the owners are inept but sacking Slade was right! Appointing him was wrong.

But don't confuse the many issues at hand. Think about it.
  • Options
    You're a real charmer mate.
  • Options
    Cambridge said:

Cambridge said:

99% rose tinted glasses again. This is another example of getting annoyed with CAFC fans. They hated the football served up. They hated the formations. They hated the subs. They hated negative tactics. They hated everything about the football. Then Slade gets sacked and it's a shame, he was a safe pair of hands, he deserved time. Utter BS. We want to learn - then we should do the same!!!! Slade was wrong. Why wait??? He was right to go. Why wait for relegation and then sack him???

@cambridge When you say "they" are you including yourself as you too are a Charlton? There isn't one view for all fans.

SOME fans didn't

MANY fans felt and still feel it doesn't matter as it is the regime not the manager/coach who is the underlying problem.

Not ALL, just SOME, not even 99%. You undermine your point by claiming that 99% of fans said anything similar to what you claim.

The problem, in my personal opinion, isn't about sacking Slade. He wasn't doing well and if they are going to make a change then this is a logical time with the transfer window about to open.

The problem is that only 14 days ago Slade was the herald of the new era according to Meire. Now he has been sacked.

Yet again the new coach/manager will have a set of players he didn't choose. Some he won't want so they will have to be sold or more likely loaned out to make room/cash for the players he does want.

Those players that joined or stayed because of Slade (Rudd/Lookman) will be more likely to not stay on now unless the new man can convince them this is a stable club that offers them a future.

I get frustrated with those who don't a) read posts properly and b) don't understand them. I didn't say 99% wanted him sacked or not. I said 99% have said they don't like the football etc.

If you say you don't like him, don't like his style, don't like his team selection and then moan he's been sacked there is a contradiction. It is a separate issue to the ownership. There should be a separation in our comments. Yes the owners are inept but sacking Slade was right! Appointing him was wrong.

Not really. Those that are 'moaning', I would imagine, are doing so in the wider context of us generally having two to three managers per season under the Belgian Bozos. Which is a ridiculous situation, I'm sure we can all agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cambridge said:

Cambridge said:

SOME fans didn't

Think you should read the post again, as you have just done exactly what your are accusing others of.

The whole point is how do u know? Do u personally know 99% of fans?

No.

Dont claim to know what other people think. Thats about the gist of it.
  • Options
    Who on earth is going to walk into the 'Funny Farm'? Whoever takes the job must either be insane; have lived on a desert island for two years; or have a skin as thick as a rhino. Well, don't say you weren't warned.
  • Options
    Cambridge said:

Cambridge said:

SOME fans didn't

OK, I give up. You clearly just want to moan and point the finger of blame at others and make wild generalisations without any substance or evidence.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I suspect Slade's limitations would have not been so apparent had we had another midfileder with the right attributes. His problem was that he had some things he could have tried (palying Ba and Tex for instance). Fans would have seen he was trying and been more positive about him. Being so limited tactically, he needed to be sacked as we need to pick up as many points between now and the next window with what we have. But the ownership can't stick all the blame on him, had he been properly backed it may have been so different.
  • Options
    Got to admit - when I first saw that tweet I thought it was by Henry Winkler! I thought what's the fonze doing commenting on Charlton...then I looked again!
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see now if Ba and Teixeira come into the squad
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Got to admit - when I first saw that tweet I thought it was by Henry Winkler! I thought what's the fonze doing commenting on Charlton...then I looked again!
    Heeeyy!
  • Options
    Just seen on twitter huge vote saying it was wrong to sack Slade?

IMO it was the right thing to do. He wasn't good enough.

Understand he's working with players given, club promised time, club didn't announce sacking on time etc. But none of that changes that this one decision, on its own, looking at it own merits, was the correct one.

We wanted a manager capable in league 1 and got someone who can't get promoted. Wrong decision in first place. We gave him time. Decision proved wrong but sacking was correct.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amid
    Cambridge said:

Just seen on twitter huge vote saying it was wrong to sack Slade?

With (almost no) respect to Twitter, polls etc conducted on it are rarely/never a selective sample. I would suggest it is as relevant a sample as it would be to ask the Duchatalet family if Katrien Meire is doing a brilliant job.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Amid all the speculation as to who is next for the hot seat, does anyone know if the club is even interviewing or a statement been issued about who is rearranging the deckchairs/doing as Katrien tells them for the Port Vale match?
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Evans. Adkins. Good grief, we can't even get them unless they have no other options. That speaks volumes for how the club is seen inside the world of football.

To be fair, the great names weren't exactly queueing up when Curbishley left. Billy Davies, Joe Royle, Peter Taylor etc.
  • Options
    I was out for a walk around Eynsford this morning and when stopping for a cuppa in Lullingstone visitors centre, I overheard one walker say to another: 'Who knows, you might be Charlton manager by the weekend.'
    I had a double take and I didn't think he was anyone famous! Made me chuckle. But apologies if it was a Lifer I overheard, as you would be a better choice than anything Meire can come up with.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, and I apologise in advance if this has already been asked....has an interim Manager been announced or has Nugent just assumed this position? I cant see anything in CAFC's statement that refers to this which would either indicate that yet again, they have forgotten this important piece of information or that they intend(ed) to appoint someone before Saturday?

I mean, who is taking training?
  • Options
    braydex said:

Just out of interest, and I apologise in advance if this has already been asked....has an interim Manager been announced or has Nugent just assumed this position? I cant see anything in CAFC's statement that refers to this which would either indicate that yet again, they have forgotten this important piece of information or that they intend(ed) to appoint someone before Saturday?

I mean, who is taking training?

Have you got anything on today? If not, I'd just try turning up and seeing if they'll let you take training! (in short, we don't know)
  • Options
    Just caught a few minutes of Talk Sport at about 11.55 or thereabouts.

I think it was in the aftermath of Steve Evans having been appointed manager at Mansfield.

According to Jim White or one of the other pundits (Tony Cascarino and a Sports journalist) Evans had spoken to Charlton but had plumped for Mansfield. Cascarino then said that an out of work manager had spoken to him in the summer about going to Charlton and Cascarino had advised no -- not with the madness and turmoil going on with the ownership. I'm paraphasing a bit here because I was listening in the car but the words madness and turmoil were definitely used. No doubt it can be heard in full on the play-back facility!

Cascarino also advised: don't go there - if you have an indifferent start and are mid-table you could be sacked after a few months.

All par for the course really but I thing I took from this if accurate is that O'Loughlin is not necessarily in the frame as firmly that I for one had assumed after seeing him in the Directors Box at the Chesterfield game.

Whomsoever is appointed I am kind of looking forward to Meire's response if she is asked about Slade.
    Will she add him to all the other managers who have gone before during her time here as having been the right decision (every time)?