Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 23 tonight (Friday 11/11)

U23S | Good luck to @jasoneuell's youngsters who take on @Boro in the @premierleague Cup this evening (7pm). #cafc

U23S starting XI | Mitov; Ba, Yao, Bowry, Edwards; Charles-Cook, Dijksteel, Lapslie; Ahearne-Grant, Kennedy, Hackett-Fairchild. #cafc

Subs | Prall, Assiana, Millar, Yamfam. #cafc

U23S | Just over an hour gone & still 0-0 against @Boro at Bootham Crescent. We're told the Addicks hit the woodwork before half time. #cafc

U23S | Full-time at Bootham Crescent and Bryn Morris' late strike has earned @Boro the points in the Premier League Cup. #cafc

Comments

• Options
    A SOLITARY goal and an excellent goalkeeping performance were the foundations as Boro’s U23s got their first points on the board in the Premier League Cup. Writes GORDON COX from Bootham Crescent.
    Determination was coursing through the veins of the Boro players if the opening exchanges were any guide as two players found themselves in the book in the opening 12 minutes.

Plenty of energy was on show from both sides, Charlton managed by ex-Boro player Jason Euell, but neither side found it easy to create a clear chance.

That is until the 23rd minute when Karlan Ahearne-Grant was sent clear through the middle and was denied by very smart goalkeeping Aynsley Pears.

That lead to three corners in quick succession for the visitors, followed a few minutes later by two more.

A young Boro side, including a smattering of U18s for the first time, coped well enough and had appeals for a penalty turned down when Callum Cooke fell under challenge.

An excellent delivery from Ben Liddle sent Joao Morelli away just right of centre, but a low shot from the Brazilian was well saved by Dimitar Mitov.

Pears was back in action again a minute later as Charlton broke quickly, tipping over a powerful shot from Regan Charles-Cook.

He was seen to good effect again a few minutes later, diving away to his left to push away a low drive from Reeco Hackett-Fairchild.

The final act of the first half almost brought a goal as Charlton struck the bar with a free-kick from the D.

The visitors started the second half in a positive fashion, penning Boro back in their own half.

Paul Jenkins’ side coped with what was thrown at them and grew into the half, though it took more smart handling from Pears to hold onto a deflected shot that made life difficult.

Chances still proved elusive, until the game exploded into a flurry of activity in the closing minutes.

With 82 played Ahearne-Grant drilled a free-kick into a defensive wall just inside the area. Referee Andrew Miller adjudged handball and pointed to the spot.

Ahearne-Grant took the penalty and Pears, watched by proud dad, Boro legend Stephen, produced a superb save diving away to his left.

A minute later Boro were in front as they swept forward, Charlton failed to clear and Bryn Morris tucked home the loose ball from close range.

Boro were forced into a change deep in injury time when Cooke limped off and was replaced by Junior Mondal, but there was still time for more action.

Fittingly it was Pears who was involved, diving away to his left to turn away a close-range shot from Hackett-Fairchild.

Scorer Morris 84

Middlesbrough: Pears; Hegarty (Morris 75), McGhee, Elsdon, Kitching, Wheatley, Liddle, Johnson, McAloon, Cooke (Capt.) (Mondal 90+3), Morelli. Subs: Fryer (gk); McGoldrick, Maloney.

Charlton Athletic: Mitov; Ba, Edwards (Yamfam 90+1), Dijksteel, Yao, Bowry, Charles-Cook, Lapslie, Ahearne-Grant, Kennedy (Capt.), Hackett-Fairchild. Subs: Prall (gk); Assiana, Millar.

Referee Andrew Miller

Bookings
    Boro Wheatley 2, foul; Johnson 12, foul
    Athletic Edwards 61, foul.

Conditions Cold and dry

• Options

Played at York Citys ground bet Middlesbrough fans love that......Saying that YORK IS A GREAT CITY.

If you ever get a free Saturday well worth a visit.

Nice little ground Bootham Crescent. Used to go there regularly in the late 60's when York played their home matches on Saturday evenings. Always remember an FA cup second replay (when they had such things on a neutral ground) between Boro and Hull. Biggest match in York for years. It should have been at the massives place in Sheffield but was moved due to snow.
  • Options

Played at York Citys ground bet Middlesbrough fans love that......Saying that YORK IS A GREAT CITY.

If you ever get a free Saturday well worth a visit.

Why was it played there?

And playing at the same time as an England match is a bit odd too.
  • Options
    Bit of a trek for Middlesbrough fans isn't it! How far is York from Middlesbrough? I used to visit Scarborough no holidays and it could about an hour and 15 minutes on train from York itself! Boro to York has to be at least 3 hours or am I being stupid
  • Options
    I wonder if aynsley pears is the son of former Middlesbrough keeper Stephen pears. A pair of pears.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

I wonder if aynsley pears is the son of former Middlesbrough keeper Stephen pears. A pair of pears.

Yes, it said he is in the report.

How many pens has KAG missed this season?

• Options
    markmc68 said:

I was thinking that also!
  • Options
    Has Thomas gone or injured? Woking supporter rated him and he looked League class to me.
  • Options
    No Aribo? Set to play tomorrow?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    uie2 said:

Bit of a trek for Middlesbrough fans isn't it! How far is York from Middlesbrough? I used to visit Scarborough no holidays and it could about an hour and 15 minutes on train from York itself! Boro to York has to be at least 3 hours or am I being stupid

About an hour by train / car
  • Options
    KAG has a truly awful record with penalties lately.
  • Options

Has Thomas gone or injured? Woking supporter rated him and he looked League class to me.

He's on loan at Woking again.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He's on loan at Woking again.
    Thanks. I'd have thought he could have pushed for a higher level, but I suppose that would have to have happened by end of window.
  • Options
    There was no Barnes, Umerah, Hanlan or Aribo in the Under 23 side. I think Solly and Novak are carrying injuries.
  • Options
    Slade obviously doesn't fancy Charles Cook as a player which is extremely disappointing.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

An hour by train.

We change there when we play the smoggies.
  • Options

Slade obviously doesn't fancy Charles Cook as a player which is extremely disappointing.

Charles-cook just needs to be patient until January, the new manager might like him
  • Options

Or just sees Aribo ahead of him at the moment.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Or just sees Aribo ahead of him at the moment.
    I agree but for me cook has been the stand out performer the last two years and the heartbeat of the under 21/23 team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Neither Aribo nor RCC are involved today