Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leonard Cohen

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Oh man. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP to a great songwriter and a great voice.

my dad had a stereo from the mid 80s. great piece of kit. anyway, a mate of mine always said Cohen's music was slit your wrist depressing so he had a good giggle when I told him that stereo finally gave up the ghost whilst it was playing Leonard Cohen's so long Marianna. which happens to be one of my favourite tracks by the late great man.
  • Options
    I saw him at the O2 in 2008 and it was one of the most moving evenings of my life. He communicated warmth and sincerity at such a level that the whole audience felt as if they were undergoing a religious experience.
  • Options
    So many great songs, haven't played any Leonard for a year or two. Will play some tonight with a nice whiskey as accompaniment :smile: Famous Blue Raincoat is one of many faves for me

RIP Mr Cohen
  • Options
    Complete National Treasure here in Canada and one of the greatest songsmiths of my lifetime, I absolutely love his stuff.

One of the most "covered" musicians of all time and rightly so.

I'm sure he's already sitting up there in that Tower of Song alongside Hank Williams.
  • Options
    RIP, loved his work
  • Options
    The skylight is like skin
    For a drum I'll never mend.
    And all the rain falls down, Amen,
    On the works of last year's man.

Great man, amazing lyricist. RIP L Cohen.
  • Options
    For those who haven't seen it it's on BBC catch up... bird on a wire. Film focusing on Cohen's 72 tour of Europe. Though at the end he acts a bit of a tart due to him not feeling the "vibe" at a gig (having said that I would find it hard performing songs that are on the most part very emotionally personal to an audience of strangers in a foreign country at the end of a long tour) but the film shows how much he's just a nice very cool bloke, complex at times but extremely likeable and funny. Well worth a watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP. A big hero. Wish I had met him on Hydra.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Cafcspud said:

https://youtu.be/cZI6EdnvH-8

I don't Know how to embed a YouTube video. This is a video for So Long Marriane tho, my favourite.

So Long Leonard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZI6EdnvH-8
  • Options
    When I think how much pleasure I've taken from playing guitar and singing (mostly to myself) for 45 years or so, it all started with this man's songs - I owe him a huge debt.
  • Options
    Earlier this year at a concert in a local folk club Judy Collins told how she was first introduced to Cohen by a mutual friend who had known Cohen at McGill University. The friend had told Judy of Cohen's work and said she must meet him.
    When they met, Cohen said something like this to Collins - "well I can't sing, can't play the guitar and I'm not sure my songs are up to much". Collins with emotion and some awe in her voice said "he then proceeded to play Suzanne".

"Suzanne" went on to be a huge song for Cohen and the following year Collins invited him to come with her to a big charity concert to perform the song. It was the first time he'd played in front of such a large crowd and half-way through the song he walked off the stage unable to continue. The crowd went "nuts" shouting for him to come back. Collins went to talk with him backstage and persuaded him to go back on and perform the song with her.

The rest, as they say, is history.

As you can imagine we've had lots of stories and obits in the Canadian press this weekend, the one I enjoyed most is about his local community in Montreal. Cohen lived there for much of his life and was well known in the neighbourhood for frequenting a local park where he could sometimes be seen sitting on a bench watching the world go by. When news of his death broke, dozens of local people walked unbidden and quietly out to their park with candles, flowers and cassette tapes of his music, spontaneously coming together to mourn the passing of one of the most cherished members of their community.