Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Checkatrade trophy - what's the point?

Has there ever been a more pointless tournament? The attendances are shocking and the inclusion of premier league academy sides is perhaps one of the most pointless ideas going.
Has the tournament got any future in this format?

Comments

• They have said it is a one year trial. I honestly reckon they will scrap the whole tournament next year, and that would be wrong.

The changes that I would implement;

Kick out B teams.

Make it optional until the semi final as to where you play your home matches. I.e, Charlton playing home matches at Welling.

Allow teams to opt out in return for paying a fine.
  • After the first set of matches, I heard someone on Radio 5 talking up the value of the Checkatrade. They claimed that there would be a huge % increase in the number of people watching the first round games. Fortunately, the interviewer pointed out that each club was playing 3 games and more teams were taking part, so there would be about 4 times the number of games and that an increase was a certainty. His reply: "But, this is a significant increase that any competition in the world would welcome". Eh?
  • They have said it is a one year trial. I honestly reckon they will scrap the whole tournament next year, and that would be wrong.

The changes that I would implement;

Kick out B teams.

Make it optional until the semi final as to where you play your home matches. I.e, Charlton playing home matches at Welling.

Allow teams to opt out in return for paying a fine.

Agree with this. A year's trial has proved more than enough. Zero enthusiasm from fans and even players, it seems.
  • Agree with SW_A, except for opt out. I would go back to letting top conference teams play in it, and go back to knock out, of course.
  • Something will have to change that's for sure.

Maybe piggyback the FA cup in some way that those clubs that get knocked out in the round before the big clubs join in, go forward into this cup. Could offer a realistic chance for non league clubs to go on and win something/earn a decent amount and also for the rest to be quite close to a visit to Wembley.
  • Just listening to Talksport, with Durham lambasting the whole concept. Prem teams using the format to get injured Prem players some match time, how is this helping to develop emerging young British talent? Many lower league teams playing their reserves, because they seem to understand how pointless this format is. Won't last. What would the crowd be at Wembley for Middlesbro' U23's vs Stoke U23's be? Joke! Under the old format 40000 to 60000 people used to turn up to Wembley. A chance for Lower league teams to get to Wembley has been taken away. Poor decision by the chairmen.
  • In amongst all the nonsense on the trump thread, this is probably the lowest of the low in terms of what I have read on here today. If anything we should be pushing the EFL to de-regionalise it next year. @hoof_it_up_to_benty should be banned for this.
  • There isn't one.
  • Most clubs official twitter accounts continually take the piss out of it. Laughable competition.
  • The EFL seem to go from one bad idea to the next...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016
  • In our group the last 2 fixtures were played on different days. It's almost like they knew potential match fixing wouldn't be an issue as club's wouldn't give a shit about qualifying.
  • Swap the B teams for Conference teams and keep the format (i.e. Group Stages to begin with).

Rather than a bonus point for hanging on to a draw and so getting to pens, create bonus points for the most attacking teams... Bloody learn to create rules that encourage attacking football rather than defend / defend
  • In our group the last 2 fixtures were played on different days. It's almost like they knew potential match fixing wouldn't be an issue as club's wouldn't give a shit about qualifying.

You can say that again!
  • Group stages are dull in the Champions League, so heaven knows why they think it's a good idea in the Football League Trophy.

Chuck out the U23 teams, invite some Conference teams to take their place, make it a single-match knock-out contest and regionalise the early rounds so you get some derbies. Even if it does mean Charlton being away at Bromley, Maidstone or Woking.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37936600

Several of the U21 teams have been drawn against each other! I wonder how many Swansea fans will travel to see their U21s play Norwich U21s...
  • I was rather hoping that in the next round they go into leagues of eight and have to play each other home and away kicking off at 3am in the morning.

Several of the U21 teams have been drawn against each other! I wonder how many Swansea fans will travel to see their U21s play Norwich U21s...

Norwich U21's won three out of three and scored 15 goals, could be the game of the round?

That's class from Rochdale, bet the FA fine them...

The headline is almost beyond parody!
  • Sponsored links:

• So we'd have got Coventry away or Reading U21s at home... Thank god we're out!!
  • So we'd have got Coventry away or Reading U21s at home... Thank god we're out!!

Cov away, I wonder what the attendance would be if a boycott was called.
  • The point is it gives our younger players a chance
  • you do know we HAVE to play at least 6 of the players who have made most appearances in the league ?
  • We have to go to Wembley for the FA cup final instead.