Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Editorial piece on Stuart Balmer

I was wondering what one of my favourite players was up to these days.
As quite a few of you know he is still assistant manager at Forfar; however there is a nice piece on him from March 2016.
It might take a bit of time to load up.
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7014782/Me-and-my-No2-Forfars-Gary-Bollan-on-Stuart-Balmer.html

Comments

• pettgra said:

As quite a few of you know he is still assistant manager at Forfar; however there is a nice piece on him from March 2016.
    http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7014782/Me-and-my-No2-Forfars-Gary-Bollan-on-Stuart-Balmer.html

Interesting that they are both part time, and that Balmer also works for Diageo.
  • pettgra said:

Interesting that they are both part time, and that Balmer also works for Diageo.
    With his CV you would think it is only a matter of time before he gets a managers position.....if he wants one.

• Good article, wonder what betrayal he's referring to in relation to Sweaty. Thought he was quite unfortunate the way his career with us ended - somehow lost his place to Phil Chapple if I recall correctly. Might be rose-tinted specs, but I thought he was a good enough player to compete with Youds to go alongside Rufus, Curbs just seemed to go off him all of a sudden.

Hope he'll be involved in some of the Back to The Valley events next year. He doesn't seem to appear for Supporters' Club events, etc as much as a lot of the other players from that generation, I presume because he's up in darkest Jocko land.
  • MrLargo said:

Good article, wonder what betrayal he's referring to in relation to Sweaty. Thought he was quite unfortunate the way his career with us ended - somehow lost his place to Phil Chapple if I recall correctly. Might be rose-tinted specs, but I thought he was a good enough player to compete with Youds to go alongside Rufus, Curbs just seemed to go off him all of a sudden.

Hope he'll be involved in some of the Back to The Valley events next year. He doesn't seem to appear for Supporters' Club events, etc as much as a lot of the other players from that generation, I presume because he's up in darkest Jocko land.

I was wondering about the betrayal bit as well. I remember when we beat Blackburn 1-0 and Hansen was commentating. He said I have never heard of this bloke but he never gave Shearer a kick. I bet he did!
  • pettgra said:

MrLargo said:

Good article, wonder what betrayal he's referring to in relation to Sweaty. Thought he was quite unfortunate the way his career with us ended - somehow lost his place to Phil Chapple if I recall correctly. Might be rose-tinted specs, but I thought he was a good enough player to compete with Youds to go alongside Rufus, Curbs just seemed to go off him all of a sudden.

I was wondering about the betrayal bit as well. I remember when we beat Blackburn 1-0 and Hansen was commentating. He said I have never heard of this bloke but he never gave Shearer a kick. I bet he did!
    I bet he did too. I still have, somewhere in the loft, The Sun Goals supplement match preview ahead of our opening 97/98 game away to newly-relegated Middlesbrough. Headline was:

"Balmer: I'll give Ravanelli a welcoming kick into Division 1"

You don't get hard man defenders like that anymore.
  • My Brother always referred to him as "inch perfect Balmer", I don't know if he was exactly, but I always reckoned him as a good solid player for us.
  • I remember his debut at Selhurst, he scored a cracker of a headed own goal.

Solid, dependable and committed to the cause - what a great player.
  • Good player Balmer, former a good CB partnership with Webster in 92/93 then moved to RB the following season when Chapple and McLeary came in.

I doubt the betrayal relates to anything at Charlton, probably something to do with his coaching career
  • He was also the dressing room comedian and the butt of many a joke and piss take, much loved and liked by everyone at Sparrows Lane.
    Great club man.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've got a really good signed professional photo of him at my mums house
  • edited November 2016
    Fumbluff said:

I've got a really good signed professional photo of him at my mums house

C'mon then I'll do it...what was he doing at your mums house??
    And did he get sweaty?
  • I was at a midweek away game, can't remember who but possibly Everton, and Stuart Balmer turned up and sat with the Charlton fans, he loved it
  • good old Sweaty - fond memories of a different Charlton
  • Never sat well with me that he wore no.1 for a while
  • I was at a midweek away game, can't remember who but possibly Everton, and Stuart Balmer turned up and sat with the Charlton fans, he loved it

Was the Everton game.
  • edited November 2016
    Funnily enough I bumped into him in Tesco's, Sweaty in Tesco's didn't quite have the same ring too it.
  • Cheers for posting this up, a nice read about a lovely fella. I met him on one of our pre season Dublin tours and he was excellent company.
  • One of my FA pirate players at the time. Couldn't understand why he did not play more.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016
    Always one of my favorites especially after he played on after that broken rib. There cant be many players who became so popular after having such a godawful debut. Could never understand why Phil Chapell was picked ahead of him so often.
  • One of my FA pirate players at the time. Couldn't understand why he did not play more.

Aaah, that brings back memories, playing FA pirates in the playground, jumpers for eyepatches. G'rar....
  • Loved watching Stuart and Simon Webster. Both could pass the ball, but were also able to battle when required. I could see in some matches, say against a Bassett Sheff Utd it could make sense to play Chapple but generally.... As for Mcleary and Whyte playing ahead of him at times thatt was a joke.
  • I'm friends with him on Facebook, will give him the heads up.

I remember that-Kevin Nicholls was the other player. I think they were both playing for Oldham at the time.....
  • I remember him getting pelters for stinking the place up at right-back away at Southend kicking off at noon one Boxing Day. The combination of a long list of howlers, the proximity of the addickted at the side of the pitch, their keenness to offer him 'coaching and advice', his very evident hangover resulted in him offering a few choice words back to us. Unlike another defender this season who gave us the benefit of his erudition, Sweaty's transgression was immediately forgotten/forgiven, but then most of us quite liked Stuart and Roger Johnson is a first class see you next thursday.
  • I think he was up against Ricky Otto that day, who on his day was very useful, and if not for such a colourful background would probably have made the PL.

Poor old Sweaty was a reluctant right back at best, and Ricky had him on toast that day!
  • HandG said:

I was at a midweek away game, can't remember who but possibly Everton, and Stuart Balmer turned up and sat with the Charlton fans, he loved it

I remember that-Kevin Nicholls was the other player. I think they were both playing for Oldham at the time.....
    It would have been Wigan rather than Oldham
  • edited November 2016

I think he was up against Ricky Otto that day, who on his day was very useful, and if not for such a colourful background would probably have made the PL.

Poor old Sweaty was a reluctant right back at best, and Ricky had him on toast that day!

Thanks for the compliments.

I made far more money from Armed Blagging than I did playing football. Football was just a past time - I hated it if I'm honest.

Anyway, thanks again for your kind words, I can sign a copy of one of my prison release forms for you if you like?