Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Other clubs protests.

I see there is a protest planned today at Blackburn...

telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/28/despairing-blackburn-rovers-fans-step-up-protest-against-absent/

...reading this (and we get a mention in dispatches too) there are an awful lot of similarities with our situation it seems; lack of fan engagement, falling attendances, poor team performance, lack of squad depth, racking up debt, manager churn, absentee owner, divisions in supporters and an aggressive approach from the club to any planned dissent. They have even been buying plastic chickens and whistles in preparation for today's protest and I can't imagine what they plan on doing with those...

For as long as I've been going to matches fans have always kicked off a little at on the field performance but with us, Blackburn, Blackpool, Coventry, Leeds, Newcastle and Orient supporters and probably others I've forgotten all in open dispute with their club owners there is definitely a groundswell of discontent and concern.

If any normal industry were as disfunctional as football appears to be those in charge would be called to account but one has to wonder what those at the FA are doing while the supporters are attempting to preserve their clubs and what it will take for them to get involved?

Comments

• I don't think they'll ever do anything.
  • Sadly, I think Covered End is right. Perhaps the only thing that might force the footballing authorities to take serious remedial action would be if fans of all those clubs listed took joint action to get matches called off. Somehow though, I can't see that happening.
  • Stig said:

Sadly, I think Covered End is right. Perhaps the only thing that might force the footballing authorities to take serious remedial action would be if fans of all those clubs listed took joint action to get matches called off. Somehow though, I can't see that happening.

Sadly I tend to agree with you both but I think that there is some scope for more joint protesting to highlight the issue. 3 or 4 matches delayed or abandoned over a weekend would get some sort of response from the FA albeit I suspect very short term platitudes. What a sorry state football has got itself in.
  • 2 things strike me from that article.

1. Venky's have been in charge now for SIX years with no real reason as to why they're there or what their plans are. Six years?! Imagine another 3 more years of RD!

2. One of the Blackburn owners has the worst fitting suits i've ever seen.
  • Too many on the gravy train in positions of power to rock the boat too much and reform the game.

If all disillusioned fans cancelled their SKY and BT subscriptions and stopped attending games en masse for a couple of weeks then there would be revolution and mass reform overnight. Same as if all commuters collectively boycotted paying for train tickets for a month then things would change damn quickly.

Unfortunately it is not easily achievable.
  • 2 things strike me from that article.

1. Venky's have been in charge now for SIX years with no real reason as to why they're there or what their plans are. Six years?! Imagine another 3 more years of RD!

2. One of the Blackburn owners has the worst fitting suits i've ever seen.

• Joint fan protests outside the FA Headquarters might be a way forward to draw attention to this growing problem. It seems all too easy for those inside to ignore their responsibilities and just enjoy the trappings of their positions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't think you can lump Newcastle in there. Newcastle have had loads of investment from Ashley.
  • Chizz said:

Stig said:

Sadly, I think Covered End is right. Perhaps the only thing that might force the footballing authorities to take serious remedial action would be if fans of all those clubs listed took joint action to get matches called off. Somehow though, I can't see that happening.

Is that what we're trying to do? "Force the footballing authorities to take some serious remeidal action"? If that's the case, count me out.

The reason I am protesting has nothing to do with the "football authorities" - they will continue to run football as badly as ever long, long into the future.

The purpose of my protesting - the *sole* purpose - is to rid Charlton Athletic of the appalling owner and all of his appointees. No more, no less.

I don't really care how "football" is managed, as long as corruption is minimised to the greatest possible extent. I do care about my football club (sorry Katrien, whatever you think and whatever you say, it's still *my* football club).

I care who owns it. I care how they look after it. I care what they plan for it in the future. But most of all, I care about the state they are going to leave it in when they go. And be absolutely sure, they *will* go.

The vast, wholesale, uniform opposition to RD and KM will influence how soon Charlton gets sold. The longer the protests continue; the louder they are; the wider the coverage, the sooner these people will see the futility of holding on.

Be in no doubt, the protests and protestors are winning. The football club famous for surging up the divisions in the 30s, for repeated Wembley appearances in the 40s, for massive crowds in the 50s, for a slow decline in the 60s, for Derek Hales and Colin Powell in the 70s, for the exile in the 80s, for the home-coming in the 90s, for the Premiership years in the 00s and the League One win in the 10s is now famous - across the world - for the tragic consequences of a failed experiment and the rise - again - of a passionate, vociferous, intelligent opposition to the unconscious incompetence of deluded owners. RD and KM have made their mark on our club, as effectively and permanently as The Glikstens, Sam Bartram, Keith Peacock, Alan Curbishley or Chris Powell. Their legacy is permanent, but their tenure isn't.

The protests can work. And they will work.
    Well, your views here are not too far removed from mine, but it would as well to be mindful of the bigger picture and not just dismiss it as not our concern.
    There is no guarantee that what has happened to Charlton under this ownership would not be repeated in some way or made worse by subsequent owners.
    I certainly don't subscribe to the view that the fear of such an outcome justifies sticking with the devil we know.
    But I do think that sooner or later the authorities need to be made to address the cavalier destruction of more than one famous football club
    There's a distinction between what is happening at Charlton (where a group of like-minded supporters are protesting against one owner, with the single aim of having him become no longer the owner) to protesting "against how football is run" (which is a nebulous, unlear, indistinct aim).

I will go a bit further. I see no problem with a rich, foreign business owner taking ownership of a football club and running it in order to maximise its potential on the pitch. That is different from a rich, foreign business owner taking owner of a football club and running it into the ground, saddling it with debt and trying - and failing - to make "profit" on the sale of players.

The problem is, there is no way of the "authorities" (whoever they are) determining which of these two groups a potential owner falls into. You can't tell how bad your owner is until they show you. By then it's too late to do anything other than make it clear they're not wlecome, their tenure is short and there is nothing they can do other than sell up.

What test would you have applied to a multi-millionaire, successful businessman, who owns several professional football clubs in Europe and who wanted to buy a club in England, in late 2013?
  • I think all owners (and not just representatives of the owner) should be made to attend at least 50% of games each season.

The SMT of each club must also offer up a transparent plan for each forth coming season which is made public. Even if it says 'we are not able to invest enough to make a sustained push for promotion. Avoiding relegation is our aim' or similar. It might seem unambitious but at least it is honest.
  • ChiAddick said:

Don't think you can lump Newcastle in there. Newcastle have had loads of investment from Ashley.

I'm not disagreeing but at what cost? He tried to rebrand the stadium, I imagine he's probably lining his pockets like he does with the Rangers club shop, amongst other things. Plus the footballing side is dire, a club that size in the Championship is embarrassing.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Stig said:

Is that what we're trying to do? "Force the footballing authorities to take some serious remeidal action"? If that's the case, count me out.

The reason I am protesting has nothing to do with the "football authorities" - they will continue to run football as badly as ever long, long into the future.

The purpose of my protesting - the *sole* purpose - is to rid Charlton Athletic of the appalling owner and all of his appointees. No more, no less.

I don't really care how "football" is managed, as long as corruption is minimised to the greatest possible extent. I do care about my football club (sorry Katrien, whatever you think and whatever you say, it's still *my* football club).

I care who owns it. I care how they look after it. I care what they plan for it in the future. But most of all, I care about the state they are going to leave it in when they go. And be absolutely sure, they *will* go.

The vast, wholesale, uniform opposition to RD and KM will influence how soon Charlton gets sold. The longer the protests continue; the louder they are; the wider the coverage, the sooner these people will see the futility of holding on.

Be in no doubt, the protests and protestors are winning. The football club famous for surging up the divisions in the 30s, for repeated Wembley appearances in the 40s, for massive crowds in the 50s, for a slow decline in the 60s, for Derek Hales and Colin Powell in the 70s, for the exile in the 80s, for the home-coming in the 90s, for the Premiership years in the 00s and the League One win in the 10s is now famous - across the world - for the tragic consequences of a failed experiment and the rise - again - of a passionate, vociferous, intelligent opposition to the unconscious incompetence of deluded owners. RD and KM have made their mark on our club, as effectively and permanently as The Glikstens, Sam Bartram, Keith Peacock, Alan Curbishley or Chris Powell. Their legacy is permanent, but their tenure isn't.

The protests can work. And they will work.
    Well, your views here are not too far removed from mine, but it would as well to be mindful of the bigger picture and not just dismiss it as not our concern.
    There is no guarantee that what has happened to Charlton under this ownership would not be repeated in some way or made worse by subsequent owners.
    I certainly don't subscribe to the view that the fear of such an outcome justifies sticking with the devil we know.
    But I do think that sooner or later the authorities need to be made to address the cavalier destruction of more than one famous football club
    There's a distinction between what is happening at Charlton (where a group of like-minded supporters are protesting against one owner, with the single aim of having him become no longer the owner) to protesting "against how football is run" (which is a nebulous, unlear, indistinct aim).

I will go a bit further. I see no problem with a rich, foreign business owner taking ownership of a football club and running it in order to maximise its potential on the pitch. That is different from a rich, foreign business owner taking owner of a football club and running it into the ground, saddling it with debt and trying - and failing - to make "profit" on the sale of players.

The problem is, there is no way of the "authorities" (whoever they are) determining which of these two groups a potential owner falls into. You can't tell how bad your owner is until they show you. By then it's too late to do anything other than make it clear they're not wlecome, their tenure is short and there is nothing they can do other than sell up.

What test would you have applied to a multi-millionaire, successful businessman, who owns several professional football clubs in Europe and who wanted to buy a club in England, in late 2013?
    Well, yes, I have no surefire solution to offer the authorities, just a desire that they at least be more mindful of the damage being done to the clubs under their stewardship, and acknowledging that there is an issue to be addressed.
    It may be that the solution will emerge empirically from the fans themselves rather than from the authorities.
    If Duchatelet departs it may be perceived that CARD has won; other clubs supporters may gain strength from this - or maybe joint enterprises like Charlton/Coventry will escalate to incorporate many clubs on a much larger scale and impact.
    Maybe it will eventually display a force that says to potential owners, do it the right way or else.
    A peoples revolution no less.
  • rikofold said:

Chizz said:

Stig said:

Thing is, without effective governance at the top of the game there's nothing to stop Roland Duchatelets stepping into any club at any time. Including ours.

I agree that our protests need to focus on our club right now, but there is a growing movement that at some point will need some proper organisation.
    What question would you have asked Roland Duchatelet prior to his takeover to determine whether he'd have been a "good" owner? The point is, how would you ever know what a disaster he - or someone like him - would be, until he'd taken over and started to demonstrate his incompetence?

In late 2013, his CV was stellar, he was filthy rich, owned successful companies and was the major shareholder in several, highly-regarded football clubs. In short, he would have sailed through any vetting processs that "the football authorities" might have applied.

It not the fault of "the football authorites" that the inadequate buffoon took charge of Charlton. But it will be our fault if he remains too long.
  • It's such a damning indictment of the current state of the game that we often forget about Venky's in the "mental owners" sweepstakes.
  • Chizz said:

rikofold said:

Chizz said:

Stig said:

Thing is, without effective governance at the top of the game there's nothing to stop Roland Duchatelets stepping into any club at any time. Including ours.

I agree that our protests need to focus on our club right now, but there is a growing movement that at some point will need some proper organisation.
    What question would you have asked Roland Duchatelet prior to his takeover to determine whether he'd have been a "good" owner? The point is, how would you ever know what a disaster he - or someone like him - would be, until he'd taken over and started to demonstrate his incompetence?

In late 2013, his CV was stellar, he was filthy rich, owned successful companies and was the major shareholder in several, highly-regarded football clubs. In short, he would have sailed through any vetting processs that "the football authorities" might have applied.

It not the fault of "the football authorites" that the inadequate buffoon took charge of Charlton. But it will be our fault if he remains too long.
    Standard liege fans would have said differently...
  • Chizz said:

rikofold said:

Chizz said:

Stig said:

Standard liege fans would have said differently...
    The signs were there... we were all (well a lot of us) optimistic when he came in as he actually had money which the previous bunch didn't. But with research the signs were there. Liege fans protests etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blackburn currently protesting.