Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gay Footballers

Comments

• Options
    What's 'intersex' when it's at home?
  • Options

When your gender doesn't conform to normal brackets. You may have several sexual organs of both genders, or no defined sex organs at all etc.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

When your gender doesn't conform to normal brackets. You may have several sexual organs of both genders, or no defined sex organs at all etc.
    Cheers for the eds update, Sam
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Interesting that a lot of posters are commenting on the abuse that opposition fans would/might give a gay Charlton player.

I know we, as a set of supporters, might assume that we are perhaps more forward thinking and enlightened than those at many other clubs but is that truly and always the case? It's far, far better than in the past and as a club we have led the way on many occasions but we have all heard supporters make racist remarks, perhaps even chants/songs. Even within the last few years if we are honest.

It's an assumption I know but those that are happy to sing offensive songs about Kevin Lisbie or in praise of Stephen Lawrence's killers are hardly likely create a welcoming environment for a gay player of our own OR the opposition's. This might be a relatively small and hopefully declining section of our support but it's still there, even at a club like ours. Many more supporters are still prepared to right off pejorative chants about Brighton fans being homosexual as 'banter' too.

I truly believe that CAFC, of all clubs, would support and provide a positive environment for a gay player but let's not kid ourself that we wouldn't have our own 8%'ers and this would only be an issue with opposition fans.

Please tell me this isn't true. The bit about Stephen Lawrence - can't get bold to work
    Not really a discussion we should reopen on this thread but here's a link @Arsenetatters

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24746019
  • Options
    Lot of labels out there aren't there?

I
  • Options

Interesting that a lot of posters are commenting on the abuse that opposition fans would/might give a gay Charlton player.

I know we, as a set of supporters, might assume that we are perhaps more forward thinking and enlightened than those at many other clubs but is that truly and always the case? It's far, far better than in the past and as a club we have led the way on many occasions but we have all heard supporters make racist remarks, perhaps even chants/songs. Even within the last few years if we are honest.

It's an assumption I know but those that are happy to sing offensive songs about Kevin Lisbie or in praise of Stephen Lawrence's killers are hardly likely create a welcoming environment for a gay player of our own OR the opposition's. This might be a relatively small and hopefully declining section of our support but it's still there, even at a club like ours. Many more supporters are still prepared to right off pejorative chants about Brighton fans being homosexual as 'banter' too.

I truly believe that CAFC, of all clubs, would support and provide a positive environment for a gay player but let's not kid ourself that we wouldn't have our own 8%'ers and this would only be an issue with opposition fans.

Please tell me this isn't true. The bit about Stephen Lawrence - can't get bold to work
    Not really a discussion we should reopen on this thread but here's a link @Arsenetatters

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24746019
    Bloody hell. Not seen this.
  • Options
    I am gay.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I am gay.

You think you are - you're just experimenting.

Either way, no problem i'll still meet you for a beer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016

Couple coming out with a sport that is infamous for its historically casually homophobic attitude, and you're in a VERY difficult position. To say "oh but it won't matter to me/couldn't care less" - sure, fair enough and good on ya, but that kind of demonstrates a massive ignorance of the discrimination and hate the LGBTQ+ community face on a daily basis.
    Why do you feel it demonstrates any kind of ignorance, intolerance or hate that I don't care about anyone in this world's sexual orientation?

People no matter their orientation shouldnt have to come out. That's it.
  • Options
    I think there is a good point in there. You don't come out as being straight and you shouldn't need to come out as being gay. You should just be what you are. But we don't live in that world.....yet. As long as society is as homophobicas it is, things won't change.
  • Options
    With the current management, hetero metro or mono sexuals would make very little difference to our bunch of Robins...
  • Options

With the current management, hetero metro or mono sexuals would make very little difference to our bunch of Robins...

What about those who are intersex?

#smudge4manager
  • Options

What about those who are intersex?

#smudge4manager
    I think that should be - What about those who are intersex(?)?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Agree with the 92% ;) who cares in this day? each to their own as long as they aren't holding hands on the pitch and it doesn't affect their performance.

On another note i'm sure i heard a rumour that Darren Ambrose was Gay when he played for us, even though he has wife / children not sure where i heard it either.

It's probably less likely a footballer or even football fans are gay as generally they don't like football, this isn't being stereotypical just common knowledge but as someone else says there would still be 1/100 ratio or whatever, it doesn't really matter they shouldn't have to come out.
  • Options

I am gay.

You think you are - you're just experimenting.

Either way, no problem i'll still meet you for a beer.
    Thank you.

As an aside, from personal experience I know that it is a misconception that all gays do penetration.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

Couple coming out with a sport that is infamous for its historically casually homophobic attitude, and you're in a VERY difficult position. To say "oh but it won't matter to me/couldn't care less" - sure, fair enough and good on ya, but that kind of demonstrates a massive ignorance of the discrimination and hate the LGBTQ+ community face on a daily basis.
    Why do you feel it demonstrates any kind of ignorance, intolerance or hate that I don't care about anyone in this world's sexual orientation?

People no matter their orientation shouldnt have to come out. That's it.

--------------------------------

I'm not sure how well I can put this, and whether I can do so in brevity.

It is the slight, but subtle and incredibly important different between "it doesn't matter - because sexuality doesn't matter to me"; and "it absolutely DOES matter that you pioneer - because sexuality doesn't matter to me, but other people don't see it as normal/other people are homophobic".

I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's more proactive acceptance that would be best, rather than... passive acceptance?

I say that, because there is still such a taboo surrounding homosexuality, that an environment needs to be created where people would actually feel safe to come out.
  • Options
    People's sexuality is of no consequence as it does not change what you are as a person.
  • Options

People's sexuality is of no consequence as it does not change what you are as a person.

Ark at Ian Mckellen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bizarre.
  • Options
    I was at a party when I was 19 or so when my girlfriend ran up to me saying to come quickly as our unhappy friend Simon had something important to tell us.
    'I think I may be bisexual,' he told us.
    Cue hugs and 'You're so brave' all round.
    Apart from me.
    'No, you're not,' I said,
    'You're 100% homosexual.'
    It was not well received.
    Twenty years later, a 100% homosexual Simon was the owner of a vineyard in Italy and sat on a veranda watching over young Italian men working among the vines, their shirtless torsos glistening in the sun.
    It was La Dolce Vita alright, and he'd never been happier.
  • Options
    Handled a bit indelicately imo :P
  • Options

SDAddick said:

As the only person on Charlton life to have cone out as I did last year as an intersex (?) I don't understand homophobia and how it can cause such massive offence.
    If you are a gay bloke, you like having blokes put there willy up your bum.. It must smell of poo. That's what you like. Its your favourite thing, its what you think about and dream of.

Despite doing that, you then upset about being called a cissy? That really blows my mind, surely if you can handle the first thing, you should be able to handle anything. I'll never be able to understandthe mechanics of homophobia. why people get offended when you question their right to live their life and love who they love despite the fact that it has nothing to do with you because of lazy prejudice because I am incapable of basic human empathy.

Today there will be a big protest against KM and RD. They both pursue a Life that they love. KM was was even on national radio taking about how much she liked it. It has nothing to do with you. You say nothing against this and may even support the protest.
    If they offend you so much then go support another team or find something better to do with your e

You are an example of lazy prejudice you hypocrite.
    I don't like flagging people, particularly without being able to give a reason, but words just fail me.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

I was at a party when I was 19 or so when my girlfriend ran up to me saying to come quickly as our unhappy friend Simon had something important to tell us.
    Apart from me.
    Twenty years later, a 100% homosexual Simon was the owner of a vineyard in Italy and sat on a veranda watching over young Italian men working among the vines, their shirtless torsos glistening in the sun.

Do you reckon if you'd have said 'No, you're not, you're 100% heterosexual' he'd be sat on the veranda watching over young Italian treakles working and a Mrs in the kitchen?

; )
  • Options

Redskin said:

Apart from me.

Do you reckon if you'd have said 'No, you're not, you're 100% heterosexual' he'd be sat on the veranda watching over young Italian treakles working and a Mrs in the kitchen?

; )
    Ha! Not a chance, Rob: he's 100% organic gay man.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!