Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The nature of the pro-regime mindset?

Comments

• Options

As you get old you experience all types of strange behaviours. There will be all sorts of reasons, some just like being different - it makes them feel important, some have agendas against certain personalities, and some feel that the only way is to support the team. Before the war, there were many people who wanted peace with Germany despite what was happening. You just have to accept it, and realise that with the numbers involved, there will always be a small number. I think it is best to ignore them. Situations sometimes need Winston Churchills over Neville Chamberlains.

Like Gallipoli ?
    No not like Gallipoli that was a different war.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

1StevieG said:

Anyone that thinks the CEO of a football club can get away with statements like not caring about the clubs history, calling fans customers, watching the premier league stars of the future, improving our status with each new coach and treating the clubs loyal staff with utter contempt probably aren't proper Charlton and will believe in any old chuff fed to them and is beyond help. Fair enough, they are entitled to believe what they like but when you belong to a forum run by the wife of a club secretary who tells you everything is going to be alright without going into any details because she is in the know is a rat following a tune blown by the pied piper.

The thing about those statements are that she had no reason to make them and they were insulting. If she doesn't care about the clubs history, fine, don't say it to a reporter though - unles syou are stupid. As Charlton fans, we accept that talented players will be sold at some point, but teh way she put it was very damaging and alongside insulting remarks about supporters. If teh owner cannot understand this level of incompetence, you should know all you need to know about his judgement or lack of it. This has allowed stupid ideas to take precidence over sensible ones. If he sacked Meire and explained what lessons he had learned, maybe there would be a way forwards for him, but the fact he doesn't and won't says it all for me.
    Exactly. It is like she is quite happy to dig that hole instead showing a bit of humility. If she had come out and apologized for those comments I would have had a bit more respect. I was quite enthusiastic when she first started but ever since then it has been a downward spiral to piss off the 'customer' base. What little atmosphere we had at the ground has now been replaced with apathy. Even when we had twats like Pardew running us into the ground at least the fans would be as one in letting him know we wanted him out. Now it is an us and them situation which I don't think I have ever witnessed at this club. Sorry if i am digressing from the main point of this OP.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    cafctom said:

Without wishing to come across as ageist, I have found that the vast majority of those who complain about protests on matchdays (not including the attention seekers with vendettas) are elder supporters. Those who maybe don't follow things on Twitter, Charlton Life etc and therefore don't care too much about the politics outside of the 90 mins.

Fair enough I say, but I won't cease protesting inside or outside the ground for anyone who claims it is ruining their experience. I want to have a club to support for decades and decades, just like they have.

This is the most common reason.

Virtually every fan on here, that have generally supported RD and have been willing to have a genuine discussion, as to why there are protests, have in the end understood.

Some fans I've spoken to at Charlton, have been amazed when I tell them what's been going on.

The majority of the anti protest brigade are either too nice & timid to protest. The sort that would apologise if you trod on their toes.

Or they are ignorant to most of what's been going on, maybe because they are not internet savvy or simply don't have the time & energy to devote to all this crap.

Or they are of retirement age and as said elsewhere, many people of that age are less inclined to protest & boycott & I dare say when I'm in my 70's, I could well feel the same.

Finally, some people just want to go to the game & can't be bothered about anything else.

I'm not criticising any of the above, we are what we are & when the Belgians are gone, I pray we have decent owners and we get back to being a united group again. I believe we will.
  • Options
    Some don't want all the politics.
    Quite sad really all this I've mates who've been going 30 years + probably doing an average of 10 away games a season ,season ticket holders in all these years and what because some don't want to get involved with the protests they are less of a supporter.
  • Options
    The most common answer I've heard from the pro Rd lobby is that he has spent millions on players & on the training ground so we should be thankful. As Fannny pointed out, a lot of these people don't read VOTV or come on here and don't realise the truth of the matter.
  • Options

I'd be interested to hear any regime supporters thoughts after the Belgians have gone.

I get that some fans just want to watch football and spend that time with friends and family. But there are genuinely people who are supportive of them - I really really don't understand that.

You can count the amount of good things the Belgians have done on the fingers of one foot.

You can count the number of good things they've done on this foot.
    I used to work with a man who had a foot like that. He actually lost a bit more, back to the in step.
    We used to call him 18 inches as he had a foot and a half.

That's is a true story he had a metal coil (about 1.5 ton) fall on it. Factory humour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Finally, some people just want to go to the game & can't be bothered about anything else.

Which is odder because what Duchatalet has done to the club has massively impacted on the football being played, so it does affect what those people watch. Surely they would be happier with a competitive Championship side? Or are they going to keep watching even if we slip into League 2? Perhaps they are just happy getting out the house on a Saturday?
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Perhaps they are just happy getting out the house on a Saturday?
    I know I am :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    clb74 said:

Quite sad really all this I've mates who've been going 30 years + probably doing an average of 10 away games a season ,season ticket holders in all these years and what because some don't want to get involved with the protests they are less of a supporter.

My dad just wants to watch Charlton play football with his 90 yr old dad. He doesn't read football websites, or twitter/facebook. He buys a programme, has read the free CARD programmes and has listened to me explaining why there are protests.

What did frustrate him on Saturday during the game was people walking up and down the aisles in front of them, looking around looking into the directors box, not watching the game and blocking the views of those who wanted to watch the actual game. Then when we scored, there were people who didn't even clap let alone stand, but some did turn around to those cheering the goals criticising them for supporting the regime. When fans watching the game asked the walking around people to mind out of the way they were abused for not caring and letting others do their dirty work.

That's put my dad's understanding of the protests right back to where it was last season as he now thinks some fans want Charlton to lose games and he can't comprehend it.

• Options
    edited October 2016

clb74 said:

My dad just wants to watch Charlton play football with his 90 yr old dad. He doesn't read football websites, or twitter/facebook. He buys a programme, has read the free CARD programmes and has listened to me explaining why there are protests.

What did frustrate him on Saturday during the game was people walking up and down the aisles in front of them, looking around looking into the directors box, not watching the game and blocking the views of those who wanted to watch the actual game. Then when we scored, there were people who didn't even clap let alone stand, but some did turn around to those cheering the goals criticising them for supporting the regime. When fans watching the game asked the walking around people to mind out of the way they were abused for not caring and letting others do their dirty work.

That's put my dad's understanding of the protests right back to where it was last season as he now thinks some fans want Charlton to lose games and he can't comprehend it.

What happened to "support the team, not the regime"?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

clb74 said:

What happened to "support the team, not the regime"?
    sadly in some cases it got superseeded by - 'join in the hype and slag everyone off that isn't doing as you do'
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I hope it is the case that people are getting carried away with the protests, as opposed to those looking for a rumble. As I'm boycotting home games I would not know first hand. I hope when I cheer our team on the road there will be no one who has bought an away ticket simply to boo our own team and to attack fans who want to cheer the team on.
  • Options
    I dunno, I saw a fair bit of 'defend the regime, sit in silence for 90 minutes looking pissed off'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

Without wishing to come across as ageist, I have found that the vast majority of those who complain about protests on matchdays (not including the attention seekers with vendettas) are elder supporters. Those who maybe don't follow things on Twitter, Charlton Life etc and therefore don't care too much about the politics outside of the 90 mins.

Fair enough I say, but I won't cease protesting inside or outside the ground for anyone who claims it is ruining their experience. I want to have a club to support for decades and decades, just like they have.

Virtually every fan on here, that have generally supported RD and have been willing to have a genuine discussion, as to why there are protests, have in the end understood.

Some fans I've spoken to at Charlton, have been amazed when I tell them what's been going on.

The majority of the anti protest brigade are either too nice & timid to protest. The sort that would apologise if you trod on their toes.

Or they are ignorant to most of what's been going on, maybe because they are not internet savvy or simply don't have the time & energy to devote to all this crap.

Or they are of retirement age and as said elsewhere, many people of that age are less inclined to protest & boycott & I dare say when I'm in my 70's, I could well feel the same.

I'm not criticising any of the above, we are what we are & when the Belgians are gone, I pray we have decent owners and we get back to being a united group again. I believe we will.
    They seem to find plenty of time to write "froth-at-the-mouth" letters to the Mail and Express about foreigners and young people today though... :wink:
  • Options

cafctom said:

They seem to find plenty of time to write "froth-at-the-mouth" letters to the Mail and Express about foreigners and young people today though... :wink:
    Yes & I know what you're saying is tongue in cheek, but it's no physical effort to write, but it is to be up and down out of your seat, waving your arms & chanting. More protestors in life tend to be of student age rather than of retirement age.
  • Options
    Let me explain my own situation...

I am a season ticket holder, who happens to have a terminally ill granddaughter.

I haven't been to a few games now, because Skye has been in GOSH having more unpleasant procedures. She had her fourth (1st) birthday on the 29th of February this year. She will not see her second.

If you think that me wanting to JUST watch a game of football in these circumstances, and you think my priorities are wrong, I can tell you, in no uncertain terms, whose priorities I think are wrong...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Nothing I could say would bring any comfort in an awful situation like that. My grandson saw plenty of GOSH with a life threatening condition that was fortunately treated but has lifelong consequences.

It certainly makes you focus on what's important. What's happening at Charlton is obviously important to many but anybody just wanting to watch a game of football is entitled to that without criticism surely?

• Options
    To use an extreme example, the Twitter account known as 'Do One Card' who seems to be just a very angry and disturbed person but also a passionate Charlton fan is not pro-regime but I think he has reached the end of his tether with protesters in the ground who are disrupting those who want to go and cheer Charlton regardless of the owner.

You could argue until you are blue in the face that the only way to get RD and his minions out of the club is to make as much disruption inside the ground and out but it is understandable that a lot of other fans are going to get irritated.

Maybe a code of conduct for official CARD action inside the ground during the game needs to be put together in order to avoid alienating fans who do not wish to join in protests? I'm 110% behind making Katy and the rest of the circus as uncomfortable as possible during games but surely it is possible to do this and and not annoy the rest of the fans?
  • Options
    I'm not strictly pro or anti regime or protests, but groundlessly mark down Wolf City on the player marks thread and I'll cut you (on the internet)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Is anybody actually "pro regime" ? I think there is a decent number of fans who just want to watch football and don't really care about all the other stuff, that's why they come into conflict with CARD whom they see as disrupting their match day experience, but I'm not sure I've met anyone (in real life, not on Internet forums) who is actually "pro-regime" as such.

I'd guess there are plenty of 'fans' that ARE pro-regime....only most of them support Palace.
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear that @East_Stand_Loopy
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Fiiish said:

To use an extreme example, the Twitter account known as 'Do One Card' who seems to be just a very angry and disturbed person but also a passionate Charlton fan is not pro-regime but I think he has reached the end of his tether with protesters in the ground who are disrupting those who want to go and cheer Charlton regardless of the owner.

You could argue until you are blue in the face that the only way to get RD and his minions out of the club is to make as much disruption inside the ground and out but it is understandable that a lot of other fans are going to get irritated.

Maybe a code of conduct for official CARD action inside the ground during the game needs to be put together in order to avoid alienating fans who do not wish to join in protests? I'm 110% behind making Katy and the rest of the circus as uncomfortable as possible during games but surely it is possible to do this and and not annoy the rest of the fans?

They should be grateful. The win record when we protest speaks for itself, especially compared to when we don't protest! Echo Henry's statement to East Stand loopy.
  • Options
    My Dad who is in his mid-eighties just wants to watch the match, however he DOES understand & respects why I protest, why I wear Black & White & why I sing anti regime songs etc #justsaying