Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UCI World Road Championships (Cycling)

Is the final day of the Road World Championships today... Mens race (final event) is currently under way... Few notes for those who might not yet be watching

(1) Belgium are in complete control after an echelon
(2) Sadly though both Mark Cavendish (who also has Adam Blythe with him) and Peter Sagan made the gap which isn't ideal for the Belgians
(3) None of the Germans made the break and are at the front of the chasing group with no one putting in any effort - It's such poetic justice this point because the Germans refused to help us @ London 2012 in this same scenario and now they're being made to do all the work.

The biggest note is that it's being held in Qatar (the event is usually in September yet has been delayed until October because of the heat... Yet it's so soulless out there, they're into the final stage of the race (a number of laps around the main area) with still 110km to complete yet no one is there to watch and cheer on the riders, it's a complete ghost town and because of this

(1) The World Cup in 2022 is going to be easily the worst one ever
(2) In 2019 the Road World Championships will be held in Yorkshire and this is a huge chance to show how good England are at hosting events (Regardless of the size of the event) compared to the rest of the World

Comments

• Pathetic decision by the UCI to give them the worlds. Problem is there's no money in cycling, so I understand they have to go where the cash is - but this should tell them it needs to be limited to the stupid tour of Qatar and Abu Dhabi, at the beginning and of the year when no-one gives a shit.

Germans have climbed off which means the chase group is done for (but has been since they missed the split anyway) - massive, massive effort from Degenkolb to try and get them back on, but he's paid a heavy price, he looked absolutely fucked when he was sat down.

Fancy bling Matthews as an outside bet here - but the smart money is on Boonen/Van Avermaet or Nizzolo/Viviani because of the number of teammates they have. In a bunch sprint though, Cav has a real chance
  • I see it potentially being a bunch sprint but in regards to Cavendish it completely depends on how fit he's feeling.

Apparently he was unwell the other week and missed about 5-days as was stuck in bed... Cant see either the Belgians or Italians letting it go to a bunch because of Cav and his reputation though
  • Yeah - I think the Belgians will try and drag GVA free with about 6/7km to go - if they take Sagan with them and get a split it'll be curtains for Cav
  • Apparently Kittel was in tears after withdrawing... So sad for him, especially after these comments:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/oct/14/marcel-kittel-cyclists-severe-asthma-paralympics
  • Yeah - I think the Belgians will try and drag GVA free with about 6/7km to go - if they take Sagan with them and get a split it'll be curtains for Cav

As the commentators have said though... Even if it does go to a bunch sprint there is no certainty that Cav will win because the Sprinters left have all beaten each other this year

If they do as you say though I hope one of Cav / Blythe is at least shadowing Boonen so if they go, one of them can try to go with them

Although dont know much about the latter as a Sprinter?
  • Kittel is a tool. Loves himself, but can't beat Cav in a straight sprint - can only win if he takes a Giant/Etixx cab to 100m from the line. Even today, after the split, he tries to lean on Degenkolb the entire way to drag him back
  • I can't see this group staying together. Most will know they have no chance in a sprint with Cavendish. Terpestra or Van Avermart may try a long one.
  • Side note... this'll be a great feather for Cav if he wins... First man (I read) to hold a Rainbow Jersey from the Track and Road in a single year potentially
  • Matty Haymen - winner of the Paris-Roubaix - is a dark horse with nothing to lose.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Matty Haymen - winner of the Paris-Roubaix - is a dark horse with nothing to lose.

Now THAT would be a story. He'd have to go long with Sagan and GVA and catch them napping, but can't see that happening cos the group isn't big enough for then to start dancing with each other and fuck up any chase
  • Sponsored links:

• Massive gap
  • Congrats Sagan... Best all rounder in the World!!
  • Holy fucking shit!! Sagan! What an absolute beast if a rider!
  • Arghhhh... Bloody Aussie got in Cav's way!!... Fine margins but well done from Cav to instantly congratulate Sagan!!