Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

chris iwalumo

Comments

• Options
    With all due respect to the fella, is it really showing ambition as a club to buy a striker such as Chris Iwulemo , in of which should we gain promotion, he will not really figure in the first team nad we would have to go out band buy a new striker, is it not worth investing in the future with a good up and coming striker such as Sharp or Scunny, or Eastwood, or even both who can learn to play togethor, both would be a massive threat to any defence in that league, build up a good inderstanding in of which could flourish in Premiership. Even if we didnt gain promotion their value could rise as did Baby Bents due to his age adn goal scoring ratio. One thing we have to learn from last season is that you shouldnt rely on one forward and that we need to strikers who can consistantly hit the back of the net, we would love to have two strikers that can hit 20 a season each, but we should focusing our attentions on getting two strikers in which one will hit atleast 15 - 18 and the other chipping in with atleast 10.
  • Options
    All of the above is true from WhenIwasalittle boy, however, he is on a freebie and on pretty miniscule wages too.

So, Pards and Parky obviously feel he can do an OK job in the CCC as a squad striker. He is obviously not going to be the big summer signing but could be useful.
  • Options
    Chill we are keeping Dazza.
  • Options
    if we get iwelumo, i would not by any stretch see him as our only striking acquisition this summer... with jfh gone, both bents and lisbie likely to follow suit, i would expect 3 forwards to come in, iwelumo will not be our main man, he will be a part of a group and i think he's worth a punt.
  • Options
    I don't think Sharp and Eastwood would work together. Sharp had a target man in Keogh who went to Wolves and then Beckford alongside him. Him and Eastwood would be too similar and there'd be no height up front.
  • Options
    ok he's free, low wages, can score and we assume provide, fills a void we have had for some years. Entirely agree though he will need a 20 man a season player next to him.
  • Options
    Would u need a big target man up front if we had balls being played thourh the middle by Reid, if we start to play with a target man you will get nothing out of that league, look at all of the sucessful teams who have been promoted or are in the play offs, none of which really knock the ball long, Phillips and Kamara, ran Wolves to centre halfs ragged last night, if we play quick football on the floor, you will murder teams in that league, if you play long ball , you will not get anywhere
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]if we get iwelumo, i would not by any stretch see him as our only striking acquisition this summer... with jfh gone, both bents and lisbie likely to follow suit, i would expect 3 forwards to come in, iwelumo will not be our main man, he will be a part of a group and i think he's worth a punt.

that sounds about right to me.

People seriously need to reel in their expectations as well. He scored 18 goals in the league we will be playing in. On paper, that is a useful addition for a free transfer.
  • Options
    Yes AFKA it is useful, that's for sure, but he is a freebie so won't take any of the Darren Bent proceeds up. I would be very surprised if we don't have one of the current CCC top-scorers at The Valley next season. These poor bastards have 1 million quid in TV money, we have 11 million plus the Bent/Young proceeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "People seriously need to reel in their expectations "................. so what is AFKA expectations of next season.......would you be happy to end up in the play offs? mid table?

Why should we People seriously need to reel in their expectations ???? Are we not a club who has just been int he premiership for the last seven seasons are now looking to bounce back or sheall we just become a Leciester, Coventry
  • Options
    AFKA, don't you think that we should be expecting to go up?

I certainly think we should, we have more money then all of the clubs in that division, a proven manager, a big ground which will be close to capacity every week.

I think we have every right to have high expectations.
  • Options
    Coupled with the fact the fans have responded to the boards of renewing their season tickets, by some 17,000. Never get a job in promotions AFKA
  • Options
    we should be expecting to go up but with the right kind of player, realistically we should be looking to blend youth, what we have that is adequate, the standouts in the championship and the fallouts in the premiership - that is our level, that is what we can work with - Get real everyone.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I would like to see us bring in Billy Sharp.

Another target man would be Marlon King but would need big money for him, 2-3 million.

We already have Dickson.

I think Reading proved you don't have to spend big (30k on Doyle) to find someone who can score goals in the CCC. I would be happy to sign a player like Iwelumo if we have brought in some young strikers who will gain experience and hopefully be ready for the premiership. Iwelumo, Dickson, Sharp and Akinbiyi (only joking but he does score alot of goals in CCC)
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Yes These poor bastards have 1 million quid in TV money, we have 11 million plus the Bent/Young proceeds.

Ormiston / WSS / Wheniwas, its not easy reading but people have to understand now we won't have anything like what people expect to spend.

With the reduction in our income, i estimate our wage bill will have to more than halve. That will mean taking something like 15m off the wage bill.

Everyone knows we overspent last season in the hope of staying up. We spent over £11m in the Summer, and then a further £3m in the window. We spent this with the knowledge that if the worst happens we have one saleable asset in demand that we could offset some of this spending against. Well the worst has happened and now we will have to live with the consequences.

I'm pretty sure the majority of incoming players will be free transfers and loans from other clubs. In terms of actually spending money on players, i don't expect us to spend any more than between 5-7m tops, with the likilhood being less.

Its not what people want to want to read but we need to all come to terms with it.
  • Options
    and i think AFKA meant player expectations not postion expectations, we can no longer afford to look at players snobbishly with our premiership midtable glasses on, we need players who will do us a service THIS YEAR first and foremost and iwelumo might just be one.
  • Options
    I see what you mean AFKA, I was not having a pop, mate.

No, what I mean is that even by our current impoverished standards we will still be financially very strong in the CCC. If Bent and Young fetch a combined 15 million (minus ITFC's cut) then we will be lucky to spend 7 million of that but the point is that those other clubs in the CCC who are getting only 1 million quid each in TV money will find it really, really tough to turn down hard cash bids for 1.5 million for their better players. These guys are in the same boat we used to be in and their bank manager will go feckin crazy if he hears they are turning down asset sales of 1.5 million when they owe the bank 7 million.

It's dog eat dog and at the moment, despite our relatively poor financial state, we are still a bigger dog than most of this division.
  • Options
    I tend to think we might have £4m max to spend on players, so the likes of Iwalumo would be good signings in the short term.

Look what Pards did at West Ham, brought the likes of Reo Coker, Mullins, Harewood, Walker and McNauff, then added older heads like Malky McKay, Chris Powell and Teddy Sheringham.

I get the feeling he's doing that again. Some people expect Sharp and Eastwood, I'll be happier with Scott Sinclair and Jamie Cureton, as they'll get us out of that divison.

and yes, I would take the play offs.
  • Options
    In my view we won't spend anything without selling.

And if we don't sell Bent we would have to sell others just to stay afloat I would have thought.

So Big Bent sale might mean we have 3-4 million to spend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko if you are happy to take the play offs, who in your opinion are the teams in which willl finish above us. We should be positative from the first game of the season, intimadate teams with good attacking football as Sunderland and Birmingham have, and as did Reading in the previous season
  • Options
    I think we can expect to go back up if we get some good bargains in and get rid of the dead wood desperate times and all that.

But it will not be 100% certainty that some people think.

Money is tight the DB sale if he goes will only, IMO repair the financial damage done last season so we may not have much of that to spend so we must try to get money for any other player that leaves as that will be are transfer fund.
  • Options
    The Challenge next season will be from:

Play Off Losers
    Wolverhampton
    Southampton
    Sheffield Weds
    Watford
    Stoke

think Preston will struggle without Nugent and Shef Utd with a new manager.

We have to back ourselves to at least make the playoff's faced with that.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Rothko if you are happy to take the play offs, who in your opinion are the teams in which willl finish above us. We should be positative from the first game of the season, intimadate teams with good attacking football as Sunderland and Birmingham have, and as did Reading in the previous season[/quote]

Tell you what, I saw the West Brom game this morning and they looked well useful, more than good enough to beat our current crop of shite. Wolves looked poor though and I did not really think much of Saints or Derby. WBA looked the best side of them all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Rothko if you are happy to take the play offs, who in your opinion are the teams in which willl finish above us. We should be positative from the first game of the season, intimadate teams with good attacking football as Sunderland and Birmingham have, and as did Reading in the previous season

I'll love to go up automatically, but I wouldn't complain about the play offs either. and others have listed the competition
  • Options
    OA and Rothko seem very keen to quote me, the ccc will not be as half as strong as it was last.

Our main threats will come from a good young Wolves team, Southampton, and a very good Sheff Wed team.

Derby will not be as good as they were last season should they stay down, as i think it will be very hard to motivate them if the get so near i.e up the top all season, get to Wembley and then fail. also i think Billy Davies could be gone to Sheff U or even Man City if they fail to go up.

WBA will not be that strop, the likes of Gera,Curtis Davies,Kamara will certainly leave as well as an ageing team,with all due respect to Perry and Kevin Phillips who played well alst night, but will they be able to handle another long hard season ion the ccc.
  • Options
    Look at David Whyte in his first year with us, rumors were that Chelsea were bidding 2.5 million for him but we held onto him. Of course, the next year he was crap and ended up leaving on a free.

There was a reason for that....

At 28 Iwalemo isn't a long term signing, but if we keep Darren Bent he can play as a target man for him and he's cheap - no transfer fee and wages at a reported £6k a week shouldn't break the bank. We need a striker and a dozen or so goals (assuming a few injuries and that maybe he won't be a regular starter) would be a good return.

We have already lost JFH, Marcus Bent doesn't look interested and rumours are that Lisbie is off, if Darren Bent goes to that leaves us currently with one striker at the club - Dickson who is yet to play any higher than Ryman league football. This guy can fill a hole and be a good squad player if and when we sign one or two other strikers.
  • Options
    There was a reason for that....

++++++++++++++++++++++

Go on then BFR, you can whisper if you prefer.

I am guessing from what I read in Curbs book that there were some personal issues involved?
  • Options
    Officially he had a lot of hernia problems, and you really shouldn't sniff at hernia problems.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Officially he had a lot of hernia problems, and you really shouldn't sniff at hernia problems.
    lol