Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    Neil Banfield will be his assistant. Wasn't he our academy manager at one point?
  • Options
    Neil Banfield will be his assistant. Wasn't he our academy manager at one point?
    Yes, he was.

Has worked under Beale recently, not sure if they met at Charlton?
  • Options
    edited May 10
    Not managerial,  but being reported that Steve Kavanagh has left his post of CEO at Millwall along with head of recruitment.
  • Options
    Regarding West Ham, I truly can't believe some of their fans mindsets in where they 'belong' in the footballing pyramid. 

There's a bloke at my work (lovely chap) that genuinely believes they should have been up there competing with the likes of old ManU and challenging top4 consistently. Doesn't think where they sit now is good enough and thinks the conference run wasn't all that. Bloody mental. 

I think they've had a bad appointment here West Ham, and think they'll regret letting Moyes go. I genuinely wouldn't have West Ham even in my top15 clubs in England in terms of stature, probably around the top20 somewhere. If anything I think they've over achieved this and last season.
  • Options
    Regarding West Ham, I truly can't believe some of their fans mindsets in where they 'belong' in the footballing pyramid. 

There's a bloke at my work (lovely chap) that genuinely believes they should have been up there competing with the likes of old ManU and challenging top4 consistently. Doesn't think where they sit now is good enough and thinks the conference run wasn't all that. Bloody mental. 

I think they've had a bad appointment here West Ham, and think they'll regret letting Moyes go. I genuinely wouldn't have West Ham even in my top15 clubs in England in terms of stature, probably around the top20 somewhere. If anything I think they've over achieved this and last season.
    West Ham currently get the second highest attendances in the country after Man U. I fully appreciate that if other clubs had higher capacities that would change but no way are there 15 bigger clubs.

The big 6, Newcastle, Everton, Leeds and Sunderland are the only clubs i can think of who would pull 64k crowds in the PL.

They should definitely do better than they did last season (finished 6 points off relegation) but i think where they are now (9th) is about right. 
  • Options
    André Breitenreiter... Yup THAT André Breitenreiter has left Huddersfield after only being appointed their Manager in February
  • Options
    André Breitenreiter... Yup THAT André Breitenreiter has left Huddersfield after only being appointed their Manager in February
    He's blamed the squad and blamed the pre-season under Warnock  :D
  • Options
    Swindon have made an approach for Barnet's Dean Brennan, but it seems he wants to stay there.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    West Ham United used to be an OK club with a distinctive identity and location.
    Now they are a joke in a stolen stadium with an extremely nasty board member who governs us via the House of Lords.
    And yes, their acquisition of the Olympic/Taxpayers stadium is something political. 
    Leave them alone they won the world cup in 1966
  • Options
    edited May 12

West Ham currently get the second highest attendances in the country after Man U. I fully appreciate that if other clubs had higher capacities that would change but no way are there 15 bigger clubs.

The big 6, Newcastle, Everton, Leeds and Sunderland are the only clubs i can think of who would pull 64k crowds in the PL.

They should definitely do better than they did last season (finished 6 points off relegation) but i think where they are now (9th) is about right. 
    I'd say 'big 6', Villa, Newcastle, Everton, Leeds, Sunderland, Wolves, Derby, Nottingham Forest, and Leicester, I would certainly say are bigger. I would maybe add West Brom as well to the mix.

They do have a lot of fans, and they do well ticket sales wise, but they haven't really won much generally speaking, and never won the top flight. 

I could see why someone would have them in their top15 biggest clubs, but just not for me personally. I think they've overachieved, and their fans should be happy with what they've done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'd say 'big 6', Villa, Newcastle, Everton, Leeds, Sunderland, Wolves, Derby, Nottingham Forest, and Leicester, I would certainly say are bigger. I would maybe add West Brom as well to the mix.

They do have a lot of fans, and they do well ticket sales wise, but they haven't really won much generally speaking, and never won the top flight. 

I could see why someone would have them in their top15 biggest clubs, but just not for me personally. I think they've overachieved, and their fans should be happy with what they've done.
    No way are Derby, Forest, Wolves, Leicester and West brom bigger clubs than West Ham.

Villa i'd probably have on par with West Ham but they weren't even selling out Villa Park (42k) a few years ago when they were struggling, which was why i kept them off my original list.

Also the fact that West Ham haven't won much but still get 60k crowds surely enhances the point that they're a big club.
  • Options

This has got to be a joke post 
    Only Everton and Leeds are bigger than West Ham on your list 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Newcastle on a par

derby!!!!! Why not add mk dons to the list
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Newcastle on a par

derby!!!!! Why not add mk dons to the list
    Oops, I didn’t see Newcastle on there. 
    Would say they are bigger but those others ….
  • Options

Huddersfield Town have appointed former Barnsley and Swansea City boss Michael Duff as their new head coach on a three-year contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cll44zpnz1do

• Options
    Decent manager at this level. Was the wrong fit for Swansea who are used to a passing game, but a decent fit for Huddersfield.
  • Options
    edited May 13
    Good appointment by Huddersfield. I wanted Duff here when Holden went.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Aston Villa are miles bigger than West Ham. 7 times champions of England and once of Europe. Most of those titles were admittedly a long time ago but surely outside of east London that isn’t a matter for serious debate
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Aston Villa are miles bigger than West Ham. 7 times champions of England and once of Europe. Most of those titles were admittedly a long time ago but surely outside of east London that isn’t a matter for serious debate
    6 of those 7 titles were before the first world war so don't hold much weight in a modern day discussion. 

A few years ago when Villa were struggling in the bottom half and battling relegation they weren't even selling out Villa Park which holds 20k less than the crowds West ham get. To say they are 'miles bigger' simply isn't true.
  • Options
    Growing up in the 60s I remember hearing that Villa had most FA Cup wins, 7.

Now 60 years later they still have 7 FA Cup wins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Former Leeds boss Jesse Marsch has been appointed as Canada's new head coach.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c0deerjkmj2o
  • Options
    Canada Marsching on together then?
  • Options
    Hibs manager sacked.
  • Options

No way are Derby, Forest, Wolves, Leicester and West brom bigger clubs than West Ham.

Villa i'd probably have on par with West Ham but they weren't even selling out Villa Park (42k) a few years ago when they were struggling, which was why i kept them off my original list.

Also the fact that West Ham haven't won much but still get 60k crowds surely enhances the point that they're a big club.
    Of course this is just my view, however farfetched it may seem.

I think without doubt Leeds, Everton, Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle are bigger clubs. Based on a mixture of fan base and honours.

I have Leicester ahead due to their recent success. I think once they come up again they'll be ahead of West Ham. West Brom historically have more honours and quite a fair sized fanbase so I view them as a bigger club. I'd say those are the only two where I might be looking into honours too much. 

Forest, Derby and Wolves all the middle ground, again, feel they've all just won more and have quite big fan bases. 

I'm not disputing that West Ham have a lot of fans, in that regard, they're a big club. When I look at them historically, I just don't think they've done much, that's all. 

My main point is, when there is a fair amount of clubs with more history than West Ham, and previous history of actually competing for titles, I find it bonkers a West Ham fan I know truly believes they should be on the same playing field as the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal etc
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

No it's not a joke and just how I view West Ham. Like I said, I can see why people would say it, but if you look at their history compared to most of the clubs I've mentioned, there's no contest. 

If we are talking who has the most people attend games/fans, then there is no argument, as the stats are there for me to look at. If we are talking history, honours and longevity in English football, combined with followings, I think there's an argument to be made that West Ham are behind a number of clubs in the pecking order
  • Options
    Good appointment by Huddersfield. I wanted Duff here when Holden went.
    Eh? We got a duff appointment after he left 🤔
  • Options
    edited May 14
    Discussing what teams are bigger always amuses me as it will always be open to disagreement. What makes one bigger than another? Worldwide Interest & Media exposure, Riches, Fans attending, history of success. All of which are subject to change over time, so there is no definitive answer. Isn't it individuals perceptions based on experiences in their lifetimes? And don't get me started on who's the best team on the planet. Compared to where, Mars?
  • Options
    After an unsuccessful managerial career so far, Matt Taylor (the West Ham one not our defender) has become manager at NL Wealdstone.
  • Options
    With parachute payments running down, maybe they want a different type of manager next season?