Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are we playing so badly?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Huge lack of confidence on yesterday's evidence. We lost just about every 50/50. Slade's job to correct that but instead he now seems to have fallen out with Holmes - one of few who is confident. I'm judging on Holmes body language when subbed and Slade's post match comments. I just can't take to Slade -false, full of platitudes, stubborn and arrogant. Reminds me of someone else in the SMT.
  • Options
    Slade is no genius, but not fair to blame him.
    RD has done nothing to develop the club. KM has insulted fans and the club.
    They have taken the spirit from the club. Fans are naturally apathetic. Players are professional, if the club has no spirit why would they.
    CARD have a responsibility to get KM and RD out. No protest should be disregarded, if it is effective.
    But I will not be there, after 50 years, I hate RD and KM so much I cannot attend.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    The playing side of things is down to Slade. The buck stops with him. On paper he has the players to be be able to compete within the play off places at least. He just doesn't have the tactical nous to lmake that happen. I'd be amazed if we mustered a top 10 finish with him in charge. I just hope we don't have a full 3 years of him. Another 3 games is 3 too many.

No desire, no plan b. Most of all, No hope.
  • Options
    Shooters and Ricky we can see what's happening why are others so blind
  • Options

Slade is no genius, but not fair to blame him.
    RD has done nothing to develop the club. KM has insulted fans and the club.
    They have taken the spirit from the club. Fans are naturally apathetic. Players are professional, if the club has no spirit why would they.
    CARD have a responsibility to get KM and RD out. No protest should be disregarded, if it is effective.
    But I will not be there, after 50 years, I hate RD and KM so much I cannot attend.

Not fair to blame him ?

He's got one of the best squads in the league and we are abject.
    The central midfield lacks pace and creativity. It is this years flaw. Slade should do a lot better putting together an effective formation and method of play to manage the flaw much much better.

Its ok on paper, having a reasoanble strike force, goalkeeper and defence if the middle of the park is completely neglected. I am not defending Slade, who's team selections and set up have been abject but you can't put everything onto Slade. That squad is unfinished and that is for the most part at Meire & Duchatelet's door.

Additionally, IMO, no one argues with Meire and gets away with it.
  • Options

Shooters and Ricky we can see what's happening why are others so blind

Apologists.
  • Options
    I read the thread title as "..playing so baldly'.
    Assumed it was another attack on Russ.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I read the thread title as "..playing so baldly'.
    Assumed it was another attack on Russ.

Shocking.
  • Options
    Usually I'm a nut about the football.I'd love this sort of thread. But right now I find myself not really caring about why our side are playing so badly. For me it's all a symptom of the wider issues of the club.

Fuck the apathy it's even got to me.

:(

Roland out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Konsa in midfield, anyone ?
  • Options
    As someone said earlier, what strikes me is the lack of any consistency. So many various centre back combinations and we have only just got to October. Goals go in and it is "all change at the back", we are going to concede at this level, it's football, it happens. But let a clear preferred centre back pairing work on getting better.

Also if we were creative and had a good attacking game plan, we would put pressure on the opposition so we don't have to sit back.

Long ball to the big man is lazy out dated football. It is even worse when you over load a midfield with ball winners to attempt to absorb pressure and it is horrific when those ball winners don't have energy to do so.

I feel for the strikers, it is down to them to magic up some game winning 'freestyle football' to get any success as it doesn't look like they get any direction from the management.

Slade is the issue, this squad is good enough to be top 6.
  • Options
    It's CARD / the protestors fault. Our poor players have been completely put off by the huge protests to date. Time to start curtailing them, maybe boycott some games and let the remaining fans like Ms Parkes inspire them with the fantastic atmosphere that they will no doubt create.
  • Options
    why? .. the manager has not managed to get the team playing with any confidence or belief .. he's far too scared of losing to take calculated chances on winning .. #clueless
  • Options

Dont see Konsa as a CM but I would definitely move Holmes there and bring Botaka into the side. The Bolton game was one of our best performances of the season with Holmes playing as the creative CM we are currently missing. Its about the only game this season I can remember anyone playing a forward through ball through to Ajose.

Rudd
    Solly Pearce Bauer Fox
    Botaka Crofts Holmes Lookman
    Ajose Magennis

This side is capable of addressing our inability to score more than 1 goal a game.

The team that you have just posted here is without doubt good enough to challenge for the top six, the fact that Slade can't see it sums him up perfectly.
    Get rid soon as
  • Options
    I think Slade has to hold his hands up to this one. He has told us he had control over transfers, he has told us what a good working relationship he has with KM. He fought for Crofts. He missed a trick on the entire CM. He took the job and gave the regime the English manager
  • Options
    A toxic atmosphere at the club and a piss poor manager which is all caused by the owner and his female puppet
  • Options
    Slade is 100% to blame this season.

He picks the team to play (according to himself).

He chooses the training and tactics prior to games.
  • Options
    Wtf are you all on? Everything's fine, just those pesky fans whipping up a frenzy for no reason. Especially those CARD bastards who just want the club to fail.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saturday was my first chance to see the side in action and there were so many basic things not being done it's hard to know where to start. It's not down to a lack of pace, Rochdale weren't quick, and the stuff we weren't doing wasn't because of a lack of pace.

There was a lack of closing down, a lack of players doing the most basic aspects of their job. Twice the ball went into orbit and no Charlton play could be bothered to job 5-10 yards to put any pressure on the Rochdale player under the ball. My mate said too many time the back 4 hoofed the ball, that's because no midfielders came short to collect and there was no movement up front to allow a longer pass. This is all very very basic stuff. There's nobody in the team leading on the pitch. If I had shown a similar lack of effort for CIFC or my sunday leagues sides there would have been at least 2 players on at me to do my job, I didn't see any Charlton player talking to another.

I don't like blaming the manager when the hierarchy above is so clearly poor, but these are basic things that should be covered in training every day. Close the man on the ball down, don't let the ball bounce, give them man on the ball options. Every player at every level should know these things, so why are we not even trying to do them?

Somebody above said Magennis is a decent striker for this level. Are you kidding me? Lazy, slow, about as fit as I was at my peak (so about 1.5-2 stone more than a professional footballer should be). Got caught offside at the far post when he could see every single defender in a line in front of him. Luckily I missed the penalty, but there's simply no excuse for missing the target, especially by that much!

We need to find some horrible bastard to play in midfield, who's going to give his teammates a kick up the arse when they aren't doing their jobs and is going to let the opposition know he actually there.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Somebody above said Magennis is a decent striker for this level. Are you kidding me? Lazy, slow, about as fit as I was at my peak (so about 1.5-2 stone more than a professional footballer should be). Got caught offside at the far post when he could see every single defender in a line in front of him. Luckily I missed the penalty, but there's simply no excuse for missing the target, especially by that much!

This is complete and utter nonsense. He's really very quick for such a big man. And he works tirelessly in the most thankless and futile role in the team.

And he didn't take the penalty, but despite being both lazy and slow he managed to get to the rebound before anyone else - unfortunately the keeper was able to close him down.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Leuth said:

This is complete and utter nonsense. He's really very quick for such a big man. And he works tirelessly in the most thankless and futile role in the team.

And he didn't take the penalty, but despite being both lazy and slow he managed to get to the rebound before anyone else - unfortunately the keeper was able to close him down.

I agree (sorry, Andy). I saw him live for NI against the Czechs the other week (several Lifers also watched on TV). He came on on 60 mins asa direct replacement for Kyle Lafferty and immediately showed Lafferty up. Won everything in the air, knocked down to green shirts (Lafferty failed miserably in that area) and this and his strong running really bothered the Czechs. He was within an ace of getting on the end of a cross within 5 minutes. My Czech buddy agreed with my assessment, and naively assumed we would go on to piss the division if we had players like Magennis.

Well trust me the Czech Republic defence is a bit better than Rochdale's. So the key difference is both the quality and spirit of Josh's teammates in Prague, especially Steven Davies, who was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Now the thing is, for NI, Davies played the same role that Jordan Cousins did for us. For my money, Cousins was the key player missing on Saturday. We have not signed a like for like replacement at all. None of the current squad can do that job. Why we have not signed such a player is a matter of conjecture, but that is my starting point.
  • Options
    If I'm honest I missed the penalty (late out after lunch) so going by what seems an inaccurate description, but the rest of the game I only saw him break into more than a job a couple of times and he seemed generally disinterested in harassing the centre-back, challenging for a lot of 50/50s and simply poor all game.
  • Options

If I'm honest I missed the penalty (late out after lunch) so going by what seems an inaccurate description, but the rest of the game I only saw him break into more than a job a couple of times and he seemed generally disinterested in harassing the centre-back, challenging for a lot of 50/50s and simply poor all game.

He faded a bit in the second half but I think he's allowed that having played on his own up top with no real support from midfield the previous Saturday at Oxford and on Tuesday against Oldham.

There are some that go missing but not Magennis.
  • Options
    Magennis has been excellent overall - our best performer. Can't do it on his own every game
  • Options
    Maybe it's due to my lack of recent games, didn't go last season and only went this week because I had a freebie, so I've not seen just what a poor level the club has dropped to. I remember our last spell in L1 though and I was impressed by the overall standard of football, whilst Saturday both sides were desperately poor.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Konsa in midfield, anyone ?

I actually think Bauer could do a job in midfield. I liked Konsa and Pearce as the CB pairing.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Saturday was my first chance to see the side in action and there were so many basic things not being done it's hard to know where to start. It's not down to a lack of pace, Rochdale weren't quick, and the stuff we weren't doing wasn't because of a lack of pace.

There was a lack of closing down, a lack of players doing the most basic aspects of their job. Twice the ball went into orbit and no Charlton play could be bothered to job 5-10 yards to put any pressure on the Rochdale player under the ball. My mate said too many time the back 4 hoofed the ball, that's because no midfielders came short to collect and there was no movement up front to allow a longer pass. This is all very very basic stuff. There's nobody in the team leading on the pitch. If I had shown a similar lack of effort for CIFC or my sunday leagues sides there would have been at least 2 players on at me to do my job, I didn't see any Charlton player talking to another.

I don't like blaming the manager when the hierarchy above is so clearly poor, but these are basic things that should be covered in training every day. Close the man on the ball down, don't let the ball bounce, give them man on the ball options. Every player at every level should know these things, so why are we not even trying to do them?

We need to find some horrible bastard to play in midfield, who's going to give his teammates a kick up the arse when they aren't doing their jobs and is going to let the opposition know he actually there.

I'm not sure what you were watching, but it wasn't the same game as me.

You're right that we don't close down, we don't come short to collect and we don't run forward to support Magennis, who is struggling by himself, when we have a load of possible options.

We do none of the above because the geriatric midfield haven't got the legs to do it. It's as simple as that and even if they had the legs they do not have the ability to thread a decent forward pass.

As for Magennis being over weight, that's quite ridiculous.

I agree with the rest of what you say.
  • Options
    Only seen Saturday's game so far. Not doubting his work rate or even his pace, but he did look a little on the stout side to me.