Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Did well as a Player... Rubbish as a Manager

Just wanted to create this Thread to highlight... IAIN DOWIE!!!!

Comments

• Alan Shearer, Bobby Charlton, Kevin Keegan and that's just from Newcastle....
  • edited September 2016
    Sir Bobby Charlton, Peter Shilton or Mark Lawrenson weren't that special either :open_mouth: .
  • The list really is endless with people who have failed at Management
  • Hasselbaink
  • edited September 2016
    Bryan Robson
  • Bryan Robson

I remember continuously being amazed he would consistently get himself jobs, he's been utter dire at every club he's management
  • John Barnes
    Ian Rush
    Gary Neville
  • With a few exceptions, the better the player the crappier the manager. Karel Fraye must have been the Belgian Messi....
  • Sponsored links:

• dizzee said:

Hasselbaink

Harsh, he worked wonders at Burton on a shoestring budget...
  • edited September 2016
    I thought Dowie was a awful player. He should be in a shit player shit manager thread.
  • Peter Shilton
  • Ossie Ardilles
    Steve Perryman

I guess Glenn Hoddle may be considered for this as well...
  • Glenn Hoddle got Swidon up so that was a not to bad an achievement
  • Maradona.

Was also going to mention Roy Keane but his win rate is up near 39%.
  • I've always thought Mark Hughes is a no-mark manager.

I think he's been seen as a manager cos of his playing career, and because he started at Wales. He NEARLY got them to a tournament and that was enough to make him seem like a top manager. He did ok with Blackburn (spent a fair bit), spent a huge amount at City and finished midtable, did bugger all at Fulham and left within a year, spent a ton at QPR and helped to get them relegated. And all the time he blames everybody else (quite angrily) for his problems.

He plays the part pretty well. Wears suits, does the interviews and talks the talk. But his teams lack any kind of identity, at least until he got to Stoke and I started to change my mind. This season, however, he might well get found out.
  • Paul Ince and Roy Keane
  • Graham Souness
  • Sponsored links:

• Did a great job at Ranger and took the blame at Liverpool when it was King Kenny who took over the best team in Europe and ruined it.
    But you can't blame the King!
  • Macronate said:

Maradona.

Was also going to mention Roy Keane but his win rate is up near 39% I'm petrified of him.

Fixed that.

Also, Tim Sherwood. If we're considering Iain Dowie did well as a player then we're using the term "well" loosely.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I've always thought Mark Hughes is a no-mark manager.

I think he's been seen as a manager cos of his playing career, and because he started at Wales. He NEARLY got them to a tournament and that was enough to make him seem like a top manager. He did ok with Blackburn (spent a fair bit), spent a huge amount at City and finished midtable, did bugger all at Fulham and left within a year, spent a ton at QPR and helped to get them relegated. And all the time he blames everybody else (quite angrily) for his problems.

He plays the part pretty well. Wears suits, does the interviews and talks the talk. But his teams lack any kind of identity, at least until he got to Stoke and I started to change my mind. This season, however, he might well get found out.

I think he's an awful manager. Good at player recruitment, but according to those who have played under him he doesn't coach them at all. He doesn't work on defending. Has a weird obsession with handshakes. Hoping he gets found out at Stoke this year.
  • Billy Wright.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I've always thought Mark Hughes is a no-mark manager.

Totally agree; never understood the fuss that surrounds his dire mediocrity. So dull as well! Can you imagine how excruciating his team talk must be!!
  • John Barnes stands out.
  • John Barnes stands out.

John Barnes was brilliant. No one has ever come close.

Oh! You wanted crap managers. I thought it was RAP managers.
  • Macronate said:

Maradona.

Was also going to mention Roy Keane but his win rate is up near 39%.

Has to be Maradona. He even managed Argentina when they lost 6-1 to Bolivia.

So you have possibly the world's greatest ever footballer managing his country's worst ever defeat.

Thread close imho.