Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best player to be a successful manager?

2»

Comments

• Options

Dino Zoff

Managerial Honours:

Club
    Juventus
    1 Coppa Italia: 1989–90
    1 UEFA Cup: 1989–90
  • Options
    Sir Chris Powell
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Dino Zoff

Managerial Honours:

Club
    Juventus
    He also took Italy to the final of Euro 2000.

But yes I agree, certainly not a stellar managerial career - ticks the great player box though that's for sure.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

Dino Zoff

Managerial Honours:

Club
    Juventus

But yes I agree, certainly not a stellar managerial career - ticks the great player box though that's for sure.
    Thanks for that BM. I took the question for what it was, "a successful manager", it didn't say "the most successful manager" as I am guessing ole smarty pants Col read it... :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Clough only played a few top flight games, I don't think you can include him in the same sentence as Beckenbauer and Cryuff.

Can't think of many British ones, Dalglish and Mark Hughes? !

Beckenbauer and Cruyff managed top European clubs full of big name players, English international Clough built his teams from journeymen pros at a mid table / bottom half Division One side (Premiership), so surely that evens things out :smirk: .
    I was referring to his playing career. I think some people have misread the question!
    They may well have done, all depends what your definition of a best player is, England Intenational was good enough for me and it was of course a two part question :open_mouth: .
    Played twice and never scored for England. I think that puts him below Francis Jeffers. :wink:
  • Options

bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

Dino Zoff

Managerial Honours:

Club
    Juventus

Thanks for that BM. I took the question for what it was, "a successful manager", it didn't say "the most successful manager" as I am guessing ole smarty pants Col read it... :wink:
    Well not really. I mean he had an ok career as a manager but not exactly doing as good as he should have been with those teams. Hardly successful.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Clough only played a few top flight games, I don't think you can include him in the same sentence as Beckenbauer and Cryuff.

Can't think of many British ones, Dalglish and Mark Hughes? !

Beckenbauer and Cruyff managed top European clubs full of big name players, English international Clough built his teams from journeymen pros at a mid table / bottom half Division One side (Premiership), so surely that evens things out :smirk: .
    I was referring to his playing career. I think some people have misread the question!
    They may well have done, all depends what your definition of a best player is, England Intenational was good enough for me and it was of course a two part question :open_mouth: .
    Played twice and never scored for England. I think that puts him below Francis Jeffers. :wink:
    It puts him higher than your Mark Hughes and Kenny Dalglish :wink: .
  • Options
    Cruyff was not only successful as a manager, but also introduced the Dutch total football philosophy to Barcelona, making them what they are today. No Cruyff at Barcelona, no Guardiola.

He is possibly the third greatest player of all time, behind Pele & Maradona.
  • Options
    Alan Pardew, of course. :smiley:
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

Dino Zoff

Managerial Honours:

Club
    Juventus

Well not really. I mean he had an ok career as a manager but not exactly doing as good as he should have been with those teams. Hardly successful.
    Alright then. I'll edit it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Cruyff was not only successful as a manager, but also introduced the Dutch total football philosophy to Barcelona, making them what they are today. No Cruyff at Barcelona, no Guardiola.

That's an altogether different debate - and you're wrong ;-)
  • Options
    Jimmy Seed.

League winner and England international
  • Options
    Clough's career was ended prematurely by injury. Sure he would have been an England star otherwise.
  • Options
    Alan Pardew.

Best dancer as well.
  • Options
    Ancelotti
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

That's an altogether different debate - and you're wrong ;-)
    Possibly.
  • Options
    Capello. Won 4 Serie A titles as a player.