Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Rochdale | Sat 01 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale
Saturday 29th September 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Rob Jones (Merseyside)

Introduction

Another match played, another lead squandered, another two points dropped… Quite simply the reading of that and recent results just isn’t good enough. Our owners may think that by having a top six budget we should romp the league that everything will be rosy and that Charlton will be playing Championship Football once more next season…

Quite simply at present that couldn’t be further from the truth, budgets and reputations mean nothing the further down the Football pyramid you go and at present our Manager needs to show the guts and determination to go out on the pitch for 90-minutes and win with confidence, not trying to win hoping that we can get a goal and so hold on to the lead. Over the last two weeks, results have proven that isn’t the case and something needs to change whether it be tactics or who starts.

This Saturday we face a side who hadn’t won all season two weeks ago yet have now won three on the bounce including impressive wins at Millwall and at Bolton… Rochdale are smelling blood and three points, what will we offer in return, a limp performance or proof we do belong in a higher division!!

The Opposition
Name: Rochdale | Manager: Keith Hill
Ground: Spotland

It’s not been the start that Rochdale wanted… Coming to the end of September, Rochdale had just three points to their name having salvaged draws with Sheffield United, Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers, the Dale were bottom of the league and were visiting Fleetwood, Rochdale took the lead (something we couldn’t do) and despite Fleetwood drawing level, Rochdale would grab a later winner with five minutes remaining.

Fast forward a few days and they travelled to our local friends Millwall in what was a thrilling match, Rochdale once again took the lead yet soon after found themselves 2-1 down, the Dale didn’t give up though and once again scored a winning goal in the 93rd minute. Finally on Tuesday night they played host to Bolton, this time they scored shortly after half-time and held on for the 1-0 win yet after a disastrous start those three wins have catapulted them up to level on points with the Addicks yet on an inferior goal difference.

If one lesson is to be learnt from previous fixtures is that Rochdale do not give up, three goals have been scored by the Dale in the last five minutes of matches this season and facing a side who appear to love conceding late on… well we could well be in for another nervy finish!!

Charlton Team News
To be blunt, Russell Slade has been getting it completely wrong with the line-ups of late… Charlton have been set up far too defensively (even at the Valley) and have been setup almost to invite teams to attack and are being invited to break us down… Eventually we’ll be cut adrift from the Play-Off pack and like when we were relegated we’ll be left with far much to do later in the season.

Jason Pearce was once again the notable absentee against Oldham on Tuesday night as he continued to recover from concussion, should he still be unavailable then Harry Lennon will be available after returning from suspension… At still only 18-years old: Ademola Lookman was given a slight breather on Tuesday night yet must surely start this Saturday whilst Jordan Botaka must be wondering what he needs to do to get a start.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Holmes | Ulvestad | Crofts | Lookman
Ajose | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Konsa | Botaka | Foley | Novak | Jackson

Prediction
Rochdale are surely one of the form sides in the Division so will be difficult to beat this weekend, sadly though I can’t see past a draw this weekend, Rochdale are playing with confidence and come the last 10-minutes of the match, the Addicks will drop deeper and deeper whilst the subs simply sit and watch!!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for spoiling my day, by reminding me we're playing again in 2 days time!

"Another match played, another lead squandered, another two points dropped"

The way we played on Tuesday, it was almost a case of one point gained, as we could (and should) have lost that. In terms of the starting lineup, I'd have Botaka and Holmes on the wings, and Lookman up front instead of Magennis as that's his real position.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Depressing. Rochdale's regular late recoveries allied to Slade's ineptitude and this has the hallmarks of another 1-2 home loss.

Given the flak Slade has been getting, especially after Tuesday's loss, it will be interesting to see if he changes tactics or just plods on with possibly the only approach he knows.

A key match. A win will buy him some breathing space and keep us within touching distance of the top six. But another loss and the slivers of goodwill he might still have will disappear and even the now morgue-like Valley might let rip. Even the club's new PR company might struggle to put a positive spin on that.
  • Options

I'd have Botaka and Holmes on the wings, and Lookman up front instead of Magennis as that's his real position.

I WAS going to set that as my line up but I cant see Magennis being dropped after scoring Tuesday
  • Options
    edited September 2016

The way we played on Tuesday, it was almost a case of one point gained, as we could (and should) have lost that. In terms of the starting lineup, I'd have Botaka and Holmes on the wings, and Lookman up front instead of Magennis as that's his real position.

Lookman up front instead of Ajose perhaps, but instead of Magennis? Shurely shome mishtake.
  • Options
    somehow reckon we will nick a win wont be deserved, after this we will have played 1/4 of our games, i see the players are coming out (magennis being the latest) we will put things right on saturday, how many times have we heard that before, we was in the last chance saloon last year and that couldnt get a performance out of us, dont think much will change but we have to start gathering some points, start of the season playoffs were the bare minimum acceptable, now i think we will be lucky to get them, fair play to anyone going, ill be at gillingham but giving next few a miss.
  • Options
    The way Rochdale came back against the Spanners bodes ill for us getting even a point.

I've had a soft spot for Rochdale since reading about them back in the '80s when they were so brasic they had to play six YTS trainees in their first team. Is that perhaps where Roland got his inspiration?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I actually really like the look of the predicted side. Unfortunately though, I can't see Jackson not starting so someone will make way, just not entirely sure who.

Wasn't at the game on Tuesday but after everyone saying how bad the performance was, it can't be much worse. Surely?

Hopefully lots of protests on the day and that can spur the players onto victory as it has done a few times before.

Surprising 2-1 win. Ajose scoring the winner and we move up to 9th in the table, 3 points off of the play offs.
  • Options

The way Rochdale came back against the Spanners bodes ill for us getting even a point.

I've had a soft spot for Rochdale since reading about them back in the '80s when they were so brasic they had to play six YTS trainees in their first team. Is that perhaps where Roland got his inspiration?

I've always had a soft spot for them since they went about 200 years without getting promoted!!
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    I agree that Brussel needs to be more confident, and must set us up to win (not to try not to lose), and for that reason Lookman has to start. I didn't mind that he was only a sub on Tuesday, as he is still young and we need to protect him to some extent, but that is what you do in away games, not in must-win home matches!

From Tuesday, Bauer has a groin/hip injury, and I would be surprised if he plays over the next couple of weeks (I hope I am wrong...). If Pearce is still sidelined (FA rules re concussion insist on at least 6 days off...) then it will be Konsa again, this time with Lennon, but I think Pearce will be OK.

This is how I'd set them up -

Rudd
    Solly
    Lennon
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Ulvestad
    Crofts
    Lookman
    Ajose
    Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips, Johnson, Konsa, Botaka, Foley, Novak, Jackson

I'd also be getting Charles-Cook, Aribo, and Umerah in the match day squad just to give the rest a kick up the arse if they don't perform once more!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 guaranteed score draw on your coupons.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Well we need to consolidate against a team that have hit a bit of form. I'd play not to get beat for this one and focus on getting a win in the Checkatrade.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Well we need to consolidate against a team that have hit a bit of form. I'd play not to get beat for this one and focus on getting a win in the Checkatrade.

Do you mean a win in 90mins or get a tight draw against Crawley and so get a bonus point in the shootout?
  • Options
    After Tuesday's dross I really hope RS changes his thought process and goes for a more attacking line-up. I said on Tuesday's match thread we were dropping deeper and deeper and then low and behold Oldham scored and could easily have had 1 more and taken all 3 points.
    For me Botaka has to start and we need to add pace to the central mid as well.

The match thread will start at 1.45, but, if it continues to be the same old fare dished up then it may well be the last one i'll do until something changes at the club or on the pitch. Lets hope that's a course of action I don't have to take, but there is only so much one can take listening to pathetic performances.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I agree that Brussel needs to be more confident, and must set us up to win (not to try not to lose), and for that reason Lookman has to start. I didn't mind that he was only a sub on Tuesday, as he is still young and we need to protect him to some extent, but that is what you do in away games, not in must-win home matches!

From Tuesday, Bauer has a groin/hip injury, and I would be surprised if he plays over the next couple of weeks (I hope I am wrong...). If Pearce is still sidelined (FA rules re concussion insist on at least 6 days off...) then it will be Konsa again, this time with Lennon, but I think Pearce will be OK.

This is how I'd set them up -

Rudd
    Solly
    Lennon
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Ulvestad
    Crofts
    Lookman
    Ajose
    Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips, Johnson, Konsa, Botaka, Foley, Novak, Jackson

I'd also be getting Charles-Cook, Aribo, and Umerah in the match day squad just to give the rest a kick up the arse if they don't perform once more!

I agree one or two of the under 23 squad on the bench, we need to give them a chance now we cant loan them out for first team experience.

• Options

cabbles said:

Do you mean a win in 90mins or get a tight draw against Crawley and so get a bonus point in the shootout?
    Win at all costs in the Checkatrade. I'd even consider resting Holmes & Magennis for Rochdale so they are fresh for Tuesday
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I'd go with the following:
    Rudd
    Solly | Bauer | Texeira | Fox
    Crofts or Jackson
    Holmes | | Botaka
    Ulvestad
    Lookman | Magennis

Try to score a ton of goals, then defend your lead. Don't be overly defensive when 1-0 up.
  • Options
    Slade obviously prefers Lookman cutting in from the left to shoot (fair enough....he's good at that) rather than playing up against big centre backs.

There is a lot of pressure on Lookman and Holmes to create the chances from wide areas because neither Fox or Solly look especially capable of crossing the halfway line with any conviction. It was sad to see Solly lolloping after a perfectly good ball from Foley on Tuesday night. He's still capable of some good defensive play as long as he hasn't got to move very far but he's looking very limited in an attacking sense. What's Motta doing these days?
  • Options
    Considering we're absolutely dogshit in centre mid I'd play a unique 'O' formation with 4 across the back, 4 up front and 2 wingers.

Regards,
    KF
  • Options
    Oh yeah, score. 4-4 thriller.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These previews are getting earlier. Or I'm losing track or time more often. Yup, it's Thursday so it's the latter.
  • Options
    Jammy 2-1, the start of huge winning streak.
  • Options
    I thought it was Friday today. Gutted.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I'd have Botaka and Holmes on the wings, and Lookman up front instead of Magennis as that's his real position.

I WAS going to set that as my line up but I cant see Magennis being dropped after scoring Tuesday

Lookman up front instead of Ajose perhaps, but instead of Magennis? Shurely shome mishtake.
    Sorry, my error. I meant Lookman up front WITH Magennis :blush:
  • Options
    That midfield has looked pedestrian and devoid of creativity for months. Everywhere else looks strong.
    Think it'll be a win....but an ugly one.
  • Options

I thought it was Friday today. Gutted.

I did that last week. Imagine my surprise when I woke up and people from work started emailing me asking me to do stuff...
  • Options
    At home to a side who have been playing as poorly as Rochdale we HAVE to go attacking from the offset. Assuming Bauer makes it through to the weekend (if not Konsa):

Rudd
    Solly - Bauer - Pearce - Fox
    Ulvestad - Crofts
    Holmes - Lookman - Botaka
    Magennis

If we start with a positive attitude and an attacking line up there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't win comfortably. However as we've seen this season so far that isn't always the case.
  • Options
    I like the suggestions of positive teams that people have put forth, particularly the 4-2-3-1 above with Botaka, Holmes, and Lookman as an attacking three behind Mcgennis. The problem is, Slade will still be the one putting them out. And changing the personnel won't necessarily magically make us a better, more fluid, attacking team. Slade is the one who needs to be working on possession, positioning when off the ball, and build up play in training for us to truly change. Maybe he's capable of that, I don't know. But until then, I fear that we are doomed to inconsistency.

He might be able to get the team "up for it" to get a couple of great individual performances out of them, but I can't see us putting a run of form together because lumping the ball to Mcgennis, or giving it to Holmes or Lookman and hoping they do something brilliant isn't a tactic that works over the course of a season. Especially if you're not keeping clean sheets and look creaky defensively.