Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many 'missing' fans will actually return?

A large section of our support has disappeared and I'm unclear how many will return even when there is a change of ownership. Some fans are staying away as a protest and others have just simply given up as it's such a dreadful experience.
I don't have a clue how to remove RD - not really sure if protests or empty stadiums actually bother him. He seems content to live with the losses and leave our clueless CEO in charge.
The football under Slade will soon remove the rest of our support.

Comments

• edited September 2016
    tbh as ive got older ive prioristised away games, pretty much do every saturday away game bar 2 or 3 a season, home games used to go every midweek game and then pick and choose on saturdays ( would probably say 8-9 a season), last home game i went to was brentford last season, if ownership was to change and the club had some sort of identity would certainly make me come back to the midweeks but wouldnt never be at every saturday game regardless of who owns us.
  • I think very few fans will return... Its this sort of event over the years that has seen stadiums slowly empty year after year
  • I will, but depends how long these oxygen thieves stay at the club because my love for Charlton is waning by the day.
  • I will when the vermin go.
  • I'm not sure. There's plenty of other stuff to do.
  • I will and it will be like the return to the valley game . Big party when them Belgians fuck off
  • Quite a few will return but, equally, a lot of the younger or less committed with less of a link will drift away. If this for a season, perhaps two, then we have a chance of holding on to them, but when the habit is broken and people find other things to do then they are unlikely to come back. Not only that, there will be very few new fans, especially new young fans.

The legacy of the Selhurst years stayed with the club and the attendances for a long time. Had we not got back to the Premier League, who knows what the crowds would have been in, say, 2002 or 2012. And these days people are generally more choosy as to how they spend their money and time.

My real fear is a couple more years of this regime and we may well be a club with a stadium we could never fill, even if we got back to the top flight.
  • Sponsored links:

• I will 100% return when they go!
  • LuckyReds said:

I hope I will.

I'm a bit concerned about my general apathy towards the club: I'm not aware of our fixtures anymore, and games/results seem to sneak up on me and surprise me. For instance, I thought we drew 1-1 against Wimbledon for a good 3 or 4 days.

It's worth pointing out that without CharltonLife I don't think I'd have any real link with the club anymore, short of a few t-shirts and a hoodie. It's a shame, as even last year it proved to be a good afternoon with the missus and one of the main ways I saw my brother - what with work commitments and clashed schedules, it was good to have a semi-regular football match.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to get in the habit of having some more free time of a weekend, and I'm sure there will be fans who slowly adopt new routines. I do think that even if Roland and Meire were to leave today, the effect on the club would be felt for a season or two. The longer they stay the worse it will get though. My only hope - and I'm sure it will happen - is that all the energy and creativity involved in the fight against Roland will be transferred towards regaining our status in the community and amongst fans.

It's ironic really, every day that goes on our crowds fall and the club gets damaged more - yet the only form of legitimacy that the regime clings to is a "supporter group" aimed at increasing attendances to 20K. Target20K have a lot to answer for.

For various reasons I could not get to a few games last season and listened on CAFC Player. It does become very difficult to motivate yourself again to go.
  • WSS said:

I honestly think that first game they go you could have 18-20k in the ground if it gets promoted and marketed properly

Depends when that is.

Five years down the line I think you may struggle a little.
  • I'll be back, it's hurting me not going. But I cant accept what's happening to the club.
  • WSS said:

I honestly think that first game they go you could have 18-20k in the ground if it gets promoted and marketed properly

Depends when that is.

Five years down the line I think you may struggle a little.
    Agreed... People will get used to doing other things with their Saturday afternoons and other than CharltonLife and checking the full time result, they wont care about returning to the Valley where they could still see a poor performance every other week
  • Parents evening and Leicester on the box last night, i really didn't feel i was missing out by not going, the rot needs to stop at Charlton , starting with Meire out.
  • I'm finding other things to do with my time on a Saturday, genuinely going to find it difficult to come back but certainly would attend the odd game
  • nowhere near as many will return as say they will now IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• I have given up going as a protest against being treated like a n idiot by the current owners. I would be delighted to come back if the club changed hands and had someone at the top who cared about the game and the fans. hmm probably won't be coming back any time soon then. really sad
  • I will be there with bells on as soon as these Immanuel Kants leave.
  • I won't be back at home games until they've gone, but that depends when, maybe in the next 2 years, but I reckon my habits will change, and life will get in the way by that point and it maybe too late.
  • WSS said:

...and there is enough goodwill towards the club, and expertise in the fans (CARD has shown this), to make this happen.

Just think what you'd do to promote the club once they've gone. Get prepared for the day after Roland.
    BACK TO THE VALLEY - PART 2
  • With each passing week I'm beginning to care less and less :(
  • minute they go, I'm back. If it's say even two games of the season to go I will gladly pay for a full season ticket, I have already allocated the funds to it.
  • edited September 2016
    2% or 1.5%
  • cfgs said:

I will, can't wait it will be the greatest party for this club since the return home.

This.
  • minute they go, I'm back. If it's say even two games of the season to go I will gladly pay for a full season ticket, I have already allocated the funds to it.

You need to factor in, inflation for the next 5 years !