Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scunthorpe v Charlton | Tue 20 Sept | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• We've had a few results and signings in August for the pro-RD/anti-CARD groups to get excited about. This is a play-off squad at best though so we're now going to have a few more poor results after Saturday. Scunthorpe 3 Charlton 1. Talk of gelling, protesting and luck to follow.
  • Gonna get smashed 4-1
  • Real hard working performance called for here, and yes it could easily get ugly, Jackson will play if fit and hopefully lift a few around him, being positive I'll plump for a draw, 1-1.
  • edited September 2016
    Prediction - Scunthorpe 3-1 CAFC
    If we do not set out with attacking intent and score at least 4 goals in the first half, I fear we could still lose.
    (Said purely for dramatic effect)
    As such, I'd go with the following:

Rudd
    Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
    Holmes | Ulvestad | Crofts | Botaka
    Lookman | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Konsa | Foley | Jackson| Ajose | Novak

• 3. 1 Scunthorpe. Ian botham hatrick
  • edited September 2016
    Not many small teams can say they've had 3 England captains.
    (too easy to google)
    Botham ,Keegan and Clemence
  • 3-0 scunny reminiscent of Donny Rovers evening game. Was thinking of going but need to leave at half-time to get to work. Could it possibly be worth it?
    Anyone know if tickets on sale on gate and cost?
  • edited September 2016
    Don't know but they'll be at least 11 more cnuts in Scunthorpe on Tuesday night!

3-0 to the Irons
  • edited September 2016
    We seem to concede a lot for a club with nine centre backs in the squad.

3.0 and relegation zone by Christmas

• Sponsored links:

• Phoned the ticket office to book tickets for Oxford and Port Vale, and at the end of the transaction I told the accommodating ticket office lady that I was considering going to Scunthorpe at short notice, and asked if they were selling tickets on the gate. She said hold the line, and a short time later came back to me to say that no one knows, but the club will ring back.

About 2 or 3 mins later the phone rang and she said that they had phoned Scunny and that, yes, away tickets are available on the night. Not everything is broken at The Valley!
    Booked train and hotel, as I can't get back to Manchester after the game. See you all there.

About 2 or 3 mins later the phone rang, it was the club Doctor wanting to check your sanity :smile:
  • There"s a similar feel to this one as that midweek trip to Leeds a while back when we won 1-0 with a Reza worldy and a penalty save. I expected to lose that night and I'm confident Russel woll put out a team to sit back and invite them onto us resulting in a 3-0 defeat. But we've had these write-off midweek trips before (a 3-1 win against Newcastle back in 1990 was another) so if we do lose, my hope will also be squashed again.
  • I think this is going to be a difficult evening.

I suspect that Slade will make one or two changes, perhaps giving Konsa and Lookman a breather by naming them on the bench. The difficulty, however, is that our midfielders looked cream crackered on Saturday and the only alternatives we have are Jacko, who's returning from a hamstring injury, and Foley, who is really a full back. We're very short in this critical area and - as people have been repeatedly saying since the pre-season friendlies in Austria - it will inevitably cost us over the course of the season.
  • Blucher said:

I think this is going to be a difficult evening.

I suspect that Slade will make one or two changes, perhaps giving Konsa and Lookman a breather by naming them on the bench. The difficulty, however, is that our midfielders looked cream crackered on Saturday and the only alternatives we have are Jacko, who's returning from a hamstring injury, and Foley, who is really a full back. We're very short in this critical area and - as people have been repeatedly saying since the pre-season friendlies in Austria - it will inevitably cost us over the course of the season.

I think he might play Foley, stats show that he runs further during a game than any other player. I know he has limitations as a midfielder, but its this sort of game that is going to demand work rate against a hard working team.
  • It is important we do not lose tomorrow so not putting pressure on the Oxford game.

Without going into panic mode, 3 consecutive defeats would make for a disasterous start to the season.
  • The scun will be on the run. 2-0 Addicks x
  • edited September 2016
    comments from Graham Alexander .. brief mention of CAFC from 2.30 in .. 'it'll be a tough game .. Graham we all hope so, VERY tough ((:>)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0486kzj
  • Blucher said:

I think he might play Foley, stats show that he runs further during a game than any other player. I know he has limitations as a midfielder, but its this sort of game that is going to demand work rate against a hard working team.
    Yes, you may well be right. Foley's a hard worker and will try and close down the space. I wouldn't be surprised if the manager goes with three across central midfield.
  • edited September 2016
    SDAddick said:

Sage
    Don't think we have the nous to play anything other than 4-4-2.
    Complicate team formation at your peril especially against potential high flyers.

To be fair to Slade from the sounds of things we've played variations on the 4-4-2 theme, including starting 4-5-1/4-3-3 with Mcgennis on the right against Fleetwood.

That said, I largely agree with your statement, which to me is incredibly damning on the players and manager.
    The personnel wouldn't require anything complicated. They're professional footballers, if the team isn't able to adjust between Lookman floating from the left to more centrally to mix things up every now and then, and when he is more central, Jackson drifting slightly more to the left to cover that position, then that's embarrassing.

Things are only as complicated as you make it, nothing complicated between a smooth transition from a 442 to 433 or the other way around.
  • Sponsored links:

• We seem to concede a lot for a club with nine centre backs in the squad.

3.0 and relegation zone by Christmas

First off, where do you get 9 CBs from? Pearce, Konsa, Tex, Bauer, Lennon, Rojo.

Second, I was thinking earlier, what would you say, as a team, is our biggest strength? On paper we have a very good defence, though we've only kept one clean sheet in the league (to be fair we've had 3 CBs returning from injury). It's not midfield. Up front we've scored in all but one league game, but we seem to be far from clinical and at time struggle to create chances.
  • 3-0 Scunthorpe. They always seem to win with a clean sheet
  • Reckon we'll win this one for some reason. 2-0.
  • Nicholas said:

Gonna get smashed 4-1

Happy Birthday
  • Novak will start against Scunny
  • Blucher said:

Our results have been pretty poor since Ulvestad replaced Foley in the team, we only nicked a draw at Fleetwood after Foley came on, and lost against Wimbledon

If there's a game on which we need a more "negative" midfielder, it's tomorrow
  • 4-2 Scunny.
    Sound the alarm
  • Blucher said:

Our results have been pretty poor since Ulvestad replaced Foley in the team, we only nicked a draw at Fleetwood after Foley came on, and lost against Wimbledon

If there's a game on which we need a more "negative" midfielder, it's tomorrow
    To be fair he showed a range of passing in the build-up to the goal that no other midfielder has this year. Slade also claimed he was one of the best athletes he'd seen.

That said I do agree that having two holding midfielders for this game wouldn't be terrible. a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 with a midfielld of Ulvestad, Crofts, and Foley with Lookman and Holmes wide and Mcgennis up front on his own.

That said, I trust RedHenry when he says Novak will start to it might be Mcgennis or Novak on one flank and Holmes on the other.
  • Redhenry said:

Novak will start against Scunny

Still going with 4-4-2 then. I don't think Russ plays anything else really.
  • 5-2 defeat described in the post match interview as unlucky.

Yeah I know that prediction won't happen, Charlton won't score 2, but I genuinely have no idea what will happen.