Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Black Cab driver

Been in London on business this week and managed to lose my Blackberry in a black cab.

Didn't realize for a few hours after, but assumed it was long gone, so got my company to cancel and wipe the phone.

A few days later one of my clients got in touch with me via my office to say he had phoned my phone and the cab driver had the phone and wanted to return it.

Got in touch with the cab driver and low and behold he had it and returned it to me before I flew back out.

Well done to the cab driver, I gave him 20 quid for his trouble, more importantly it did make me feel grateful for black cabbies.

Comments

• Been in London on business this week and managed to lose my Blackberry in a black cab.

Didn't realize for a few hours after, but assumed it was long gone, so got my company to cancel and wipe the phone.

A few days later one of my clients got in touch with me via my office to say he had phoned my phone and the cab driver had the phone and wanted to return it.

Got in touch with the cab driver and low and behold he had it and returned it to me before I flew back out.

Well done to the cab driver, I gave him 20 quid for his trouble, more importantly it did make me feel grateful for black cabbies.

Had the same thing with a minicab driver - the one time I lost my phone in my entire life it was in the back of a minicab, pissed out of my mind. Next day I rang the company and the driver had handed it in for me to pick up. Don't think it's restricted to black cabbies. Just that not everyone nowadays is a prick.
    "I had that Leroy Ambrose in the back of the cab once. Pissed as a fart. Left his mobile, silly tosser."
  • Good story, and nice to know that this sort of thing still goes on.

A few years back i shared a black cab home from central london with a mate and his wife. They were dropped off first and then the fella took me home.

In the morning I awoke to about a dozen missed calls from my mate as his wife had lost her works laptop and they thought it might've been in the cab and I had picked it up i before I got out. They thought I was winding them up when I said I didn't have it - I really don't remember seeing it.

Anyway, about an hour or so later there's a knock at my door and there's a bloke stood there saying, "you don't remember me do you, but have you lost something?" It was the cabby from the previous night who said he'd been driving around trying to remember where he dropped me off and had the laptop with him.

I thanked him on behalf of my mate and bunged him all the dough I had on me - only about £20 - but it was only after he'd gone that I thought I should've asked for his name/number so we could thank him properly.

Really restored my faith in the human race that did.

• I think most people nowadays know that stealing a phone is useless, they can be remotely locked and "bricked" and to try and get them unlocked to then sell or trade in somewhere is much more hassle than it's worth
  • Had one good, one bad experience.

Minicab driver charged me £80 to drop my phone back to me. It was a work phone and had all my contacts on so I had to stump up. Turns out the tosser had tried to back in to it and wiped the phone back to factory settings. Lost everything.

Second time the bloke dropped it back to me the next morning. I offered him money but he refused it. He now does all my business driving and I've set him up with a few friends too.

• Been in London on business this week and managed to lose my Blackberry in a black cab.

this does beg the question, did you not think to phone it yourself at any point in those few days?
  • rina said:

Been in London on business this week and managed to lose my Blackberry in a black cab.

this does beg the question, did you not think to phone it yourself at any point in those few days?
    No because I assumed it was gone for good, having had previous bad experiences in Singapore and other countries. As it was a company phone wanted to make sure it was blocked and wiped of data. Would have got a new one on Sunday anyway when back in the office.

• Had a few experiences in losing stuff and it getting handed in... A bag with my uni books on a train, my passport on a tram in Vienna, my wallet on a train... I'm basically a fool who shouldn't be let out the house. I've handed in wallets and found a phone and tracked down the owner before. Most people are decent really.
  • Works both ways. I once had a Danish woman leave her iPhone in the cab when I dropped her off at Victora for the Gatwick express. As I knew she'd left the country there was no point in handing it in to TFL's lost property so I took it home. Fortunately it wasn't locked so was able to get her name and email address and made contact. She had a friend living in Shoreditch who was going out to join her next day so I made contact and drove over to give it to her. Didn't receive any reward however when a guy left his iPad in the back and I got it back to him, he gave me £40.
  • Don't black cabs HAVE to hand stuff in?

(Obviously what @Taxi_Lad did went above and beyond)
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes we do have to hand stuff in but the hassle trying to get into lost property into Baker St or trying to find a cop shop that's open is a joke. I've lost count of the times I get stuff back to owners by various means and the pleasure and relief on their faces is better than any reward, which by the way I often refuse.
  • Acab said:

Yes we do have to hand stuff in but the hassle trying to get into lost property into Baker St or trying to find a cop shop that's open is a joke. I've lost count of the times I get stuff back to owners by various means and the pleasure and relief on their faces is better than any reward, which by the way I often refuse.

What if you found a Palace season ticket?
  • Or a Charlton one for that matter
  • Acab said:

Yes we do have to hand stuff in but the hassle trying to get into lost property into Baker St or trying to find a cop shop that's open is a joke. I've lost count of the times I get stuff back to owners by various means and the pleasure and relief on their faces is better than any reward, which by the way I often refuse.

Thought you'd be following this thread mate
  • Did you ask him if he used to support Tottenham & had he changed his allegiances recently?
  • edited September 2016
  • I lost my virginity in a cab. I never got it back.

That's a novel sort of "tip" to give!

I hope you wasn't charged 'soilage' .................that would have spoilt the moment!

Dial a ride?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

I lost my virginity in a cab. I never got it back.

Dial a ride?
    South of the river?
  • Had the same thing happen in an Uber in Paris. It was our last evening and the missus left her mobile on the back seat. She was distraught as she thought she'd lost all of the photos we had on there from our weekend.

We try to find someone to contact but to no avail, but fortunately half an hour later the hotel concierge knocks on the door with her phone. Apparently the drivers next passengers had found it, handed it to him and he'd driven straight over after he'd finished that fare. Didn't even get a chance to thank him.
  • one plus with an uber/minicab is you can track the driver you've had.

So you reckon had he used Uber he'd have had an even easier time finding his Blackberry? ;)

So you reckon had he used Uber he'd have had an even easier time finding his Blackberry? ;)
    He'd have a hard time hailing an Uber on his blackberry.
  • Uber have ruined the black taxi.
  • Can't even remember the last time i saw someone with a blackberry. Thought they'd become pretty much obsolete with the rise of Apple and Samsung

Did it? To me the demographic using Uber isn't the one that used black cabs. Sure, it's created a competitor in that market space, but for the most part people who are using Uber wouldn't be getting in black cabs if it didn't exist.

Did it? To me the demographic using Uber isn't the one that used black cabs. Sure, it's created a competitor in that market space, but for the most part people who are using Uber wouldn't be getting in black cabs if it didn't exist.
    Agree 100%

I don't know anyone that used black cabs that now uses uber or minicabs as a replacement

Uber is super cheap and super efficient. Why should I get a black cab?

The other day I got a black cab home from Orpington station to Chislehurst station and it cost me £20. Never again.