Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Turf Wars - A History of London Football

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Accrington is correct.

One of the original 12 until they were relegated in 1893. They then resigned from the league in a huff rather than play in the 2nd division. Realised their mistake within a year, applied for reelection and were told to stick it. Folded in 1896. So that went well.

(Not to be confused with Accrington Stanley by the way, who are a different club and, in fact, were traditionally Accrington's rivals.)
  • Options

Who are they?

*Must......resist.......saying........it.........
    It's no good, I've got to*

EXACCCCCCHHHHHHTLY.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I am sure I read somewhere that one reason Arsenal moved was because it was thought that the sporting potential in our area was Rugby Union.
    In 1905 15,000 fans filled the Rectory Field for a match between Blackheath and the All Blacks.
    Other clubs like Westcombe Park and Charlton Park were around and thriving I believe. of course this might all be a minor comment in the history of Arsenal.
    What I do know about Arsenal is that they play in the top division as the only team never having to have won legitimate promotion to that level.

Yes finishing 5th in Division 2 was good enough for the gooners for some reason. I have no idea what that could be :wink:
    How come they got promoted by finishing 5th?
  • Options
    edited July 2017

seth plum said:

I am sure I read somewhere that one reason Arsenal moved was because it was thought that the sporting potential in our area was Rugby Union.
    In 1905 15,000 fans filled the Rectory Field for a match between Blackheath and the All Blacks.
    Other clubs like Westcombe Park and Charlton Park were around and thriving I believe. of course this might all be a minor comment in the history of Arsenal.
    What I do know about Arsenal is that they play in the top division as the only team never having to have won legitimate promotion to that level.

Yes finishing 5th in Division 2 was good enough for the gooners for some reason. I have no idea what that could be :wink:
    How come they got promoted by finishing 5th?
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2001/apr/11/theknowledge.sport