Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 17 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Think this will be a narrow defeat. Feels like this squad will need a season to kick into full on sweeping teams aside promotion form.
  • Valley11 said:

Think this will be a narrow defeat. Feels like this squad will need a season to kick into full on sweeping teams aside promotion form.

Give it another season and most of our midfield will be retired.
    It's now or never for this lot
  • Shrewsbury was Slade's first 'must-win' home game and was accomplished with the minimum of fuss.
    Suspect this may be a little tougher but should also result in three well-deserved points.
  • tom- k said:

Will this be the first time we have played them?

Weirdly I think it may be?
  • I'd go with:

--------GK
    RB---CB---CB---LB
    RM--CM---CM--LM
    ------FW-FW

Or:

------------Rudd

Solly---Konsa--Pearce---Fox

Holmes-Ulvestad-Crofts-Botaka

-----Lookman-Magennis
  • Dazzler21 said:

I'd go with:

--------GK
    RB---CB---CB---LB
    RM--CM---CM--LM
    ------FW-FW

I'd go with
    --------GK
    ----RB------LB
    --RH----CH----LH
    OR--IR---CF---IL--OL
  • shirty5 said:

If we have any ambition to finish in the top 6 this season, then these are the sort of opposition we take 3 points off.

We have the ambition, but do we have the squad and manager to achieve that ambition. Time to kick on start looking like genuine promotion candidates, or just continue to be average mid table team.

Mid table 1-1 I'm afraid.
  • edited September 2016
    SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

Shame Akinfenwa isn't there anymore. I'd have liked to see how our defence would deal with such a big lad.

I'd have liked us to sign such a big lad. None of this Josh Mcgennis nonsense where most if not all that bulk is muscle. I want a proper fat lad.
    Remember Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink? I saw Akinfenwa last season and his main contribution to defense was the sheer area of ground he occupied without actually moving.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

While we desperately need to avoid injuries in many positions, a minor injury to one of our CBs might be quite convenient...

Or a major one to RoJo...
    Is Rojo wasn't on the bench, how could we boo and abuse him every week :smile:
    Let Russell never forget that "you never win with Roger Dim".
  • Dazzler21 said:

I'd go with:

--------GK
    RB---CB---CB---LB
    RM--CM---CM--LM
    ------FW-FW

I'd go with
    --------GK
    ----RB------LB
    --RH----CH----LH
    OR--IR---CF---IL--OL
    Makes a change from Karel Fraeye
  • Dazzler21 said:

I'd go with:

--------GK
    RB---CB---CB---LB
    RM--CM---CM--LM
    ------FW-FW

I'd go with
    --------GK
    ----RB------LB
    --RH----CH----LH
    OR--IR---CF---IL--OL
    Alright Pep Guardiola
  • SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

I'd go with:

--------GK
    RB---CB---CB---LB
    RM--CM---CM--LM
    ------FW-FW

I'd go with
    --------GK
    ----RB------LB
    --RH----CH----LH
    OR--IR---CF---IL--OL
    Alright Pep Guardiola
    More like Theo Foley
  • Although I do marvel at the rise of AFC Wimbledon I still do shudder at the former side in the 80s/90s who with Mr Jones and all played a horrible game of football. I had little sympathy for their poor crowds as the brand of football they played well and truly sucked. This new club seem very different and I was as pleased as anyone to see them rise. That said we badly need a win and this match will truly set a marker down. 2-0 to Charlton but not an easy game at all.
  • Don't think Lookman had a good game at Fleetwood and would be better on the bench, replace him with Botaka on one wing, then with Holmes on the other and Ajose and Maginnes up front let the goals go in, but maybe at both ends

3-2
  • the first of a trio of potential tripwire games .. only saw the wombles on TV last year when they looked more skilful than I supposed they would be and they had and probably still have a great TEAM SPIRIT, the essential fuel for all successful endeavours

Next come two very difficult away games .. Scunthorpe are going great guns under a terrific youngish manager and a very ambitious owner and Oxford are looking good ..

anyway, back to Saturday .. I still have concerns about central defence and midfield .. move Konsa forward and bring in Bauer .. give it a try ..
    a win against a potentially underrated and historically fierce and committed club, albeit in a new reincarnation ..

CAFC 2 v Afc Wimbledon 1 and I hope that the protests don't spoil the party

You hope that the protests doesn't spoil the party ??? I think you need to explain how you think that may happen. At a lot of the other protests Charlton actually won. Sheff Weds for example, so not sure what you are talking about. The black and white day will add to the flavour and spectacle of the day.
  • AFC Wimbledon are a weak side - we clearly have better players. However.....they are used to winning + this will be a big game for them + they will do a lot of running around.

I'd be happy with 2-1.

Test of character for us: we need to get a win from home matches like this to be contenders. Same as last week, getting promoted is all about drawing away at Fleetwood when you're not playing that well.

Used to winning ? They are bottom 4 and have only won once.

3-1 to Charlton.
  • "Trio of potential tripwire games", "Scunthorpe are going great guns", "Oxford are looking good", "getting promoted is all about drawing away at Fleetwood"...

Thank you, reading these inspiring thoughts has just reminded me why I will be wearing my protest shirt tomorrow. See you for the photo call at 2.35.
  • A must win game, anything less and even though it's still very early into the season, you would have to question our promotion credentials.

Couple of changes maybe this week; I would prefer to have Bauer in for Konsa. Take him out the firing line for a little bit, the lad has played brilliantly but you have to manage young players in the right way, he has played something like 7 games in a row, that's a lot for an 18 year old just breaking through.

Although Botaka and Novak made good impacts last week, I don't think Slade will change those to start. Not sure how Botaka would be starting a game but definitely coming on a sub is a good option. Novak would be great for anyone in this league so could start but again I can't see Slade dropping either Ajose or Magennis for a home game right now.

Scunthorpe on Tuesday will be a big test, so 3 points is a must. Oxford will be similar to Fleetwood I think but again, I'll be expecting a win on that one too. So 7 points from the next 3 games isn't a bad return at all. 16 from 9, could be worse, but could be better too.

Also will be great to have Jackson back in the squad, I think people underestimate his value to the group on and off the field. So on that note, even though we lack legs in the centre, I think he'll come back in.

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Holmes Crofts Jackson Lookman
    Ajose Magennis

Phillips, Konsa, Lennon, Foley, Ulvestad, Botaka, Novak

3-0 Holmes, Ajose and Novak

• Sponsored links:

• Well, you'd expect us to win this if we're realistic about challenging. Cue a 0-2 loss prediction but, no, I fancy us 2-0.
  • Maginnis at the double as we cruise to a 3 - 1 victory
  • 3-0. Lookman 2 and Novak.

Don't think Bauer should be in ahead of either Pearce or Konsa at the moment. Also think Novak may start ahead of Ajose.
  • I would not start Lookman. I would wait until the last 25mins.

I would also start Novak with Ajose to come on when he tires.
  • I seem to recall we always used to struggle against the old Dons - I suspect AFC could be a new bogey side for us on this basis. Should be a win, fearful of a defeat, so will settle for a draw today.
  • I seem to recall we always used to struggle against the old Dons - I suspect AFC could be a new bogey side for us on this basis. Should be a win, fearful of a defeat, so will settle for a draw today.

At least it would give Viewfinder a new game to hark back to.
  • 2-0 Ajose brace.

• Gave in to temptation and bought a ticket online. Despite being a just lapsed ST holder and getting an email club news update from them a couple of days ago the system had never heard of me. Astonishing. Had to register as a new customer. Note to squirrel face. I am not a new customer, your system is crap. Roland out.
  • Addicks to win this 3-1, match thread from 2 pm.
  • Still in Greece on holiday. Willing a victory from a distance!