Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Portmouth chairman speaks sense

I really wish football was run was run by people like this guy. In fact be nice if we were.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/catlin-league-changes-would-be-catastrophic-for-pompey-1-7561446

Comments

• Let's not forget though the pain Pompey fans have gone through to get to him, they have had their fair share of Duchatalets. But it does give hope for the future.
  • It seems ridiculous that lower clubs would have to take part in three or more unwanted Johnstones Paint (or whatever it is now called) games and four less league games.
  • After having lived in the city for the last six years, i have a lot of time for Portsmouth FC and also its kith and kin - very warm,friendly people(well, most of them).
    They have amazing fans who have stuck with the team through such turmoil, and to have average gates of 16+k for fourth tier is unbelievable - if you were to compare that with say, the Spanish or French league, then i'm sure they would be in the top half of top tier of both in terms of gates. Another thing is that you can walk through Portsmouth High St, and all you see is Pompey shirts, no Man U or Chelsea or Liverpool (and certainly no Southampton !),- they keep reminding me its an island, and sometimes it has an island mentality (and also lots of Isle Of Wight fans who come over from Ryde).
  • After having lived in the city for the last six years, i have a lot of time for Portsmouth FC and also its kith and kin - very warm,friendly people(well, most of them).
    They have amazing fans who have stuck with the team through such turmoil, and to have average gates of 16+k for fourth tier is unbelievable - if you were to compare that with say, the Spanish or French league, then i'm sure they would be in the top half of top tier of both in terms of gates. Another thing is that you can walk through Portsmouth High St, and all you see is Pompey shirts, no Man U or Chelsea or Liverpool (and certainly no Southampton !),- they keep reminding me its an island, and sometimes it has an island mentality (and also lots of Isle Of Wight fans who come over from Ryde).

Great post and it's true there loyal fans put us to shame! Still getting top attendances at home games in league two!!
  • ..... Proper away support as well !
  • Thanks for posting that article. There are lots of historic links between Pompey and Charlton. For instance, I believe that we have played them more, over the decades, than we have any other team. They've been through the mire in recent times, but have emerged as a fan-owned club and retained very good support, both home and away. It would appear that they have a decent CEO, too.
    CAFC has an absentee owner, plays at a two-thirds empty stadium and the realisation of Mutualism in SE7 is as likely as our CEO offering back the money we wasted on season tickets last year.
    pompeytrust.com/pages/about-the-pst

Same here, I live in Portchester and know a lot of Portsmouth fans.

• The Pompey Addicks Club :-) I live a mile from Fratton Park and all my wife's family are season ticket holders including her. I pretend to hate them with a passion to wind them up but I quite like them really despite all the taxpayer footing their previous bills shenanigans. The guy talks a lot of sense in the article.
  • D_F_T said:

After having lived in the city for the last six years, i have a lot of time for Portsmouth FC and also its kith and kin - very warm,friendly people(well, most of them).

Same here, I live in Portchester and know a lot of Portsmouth fans.

Used to live right opposite Portchester Castle in Port Solent.
  • BTW Shame KRAP NOTTARF (see what i did there !) is such a dump though - that alleyway behind their south stand, what is that all about?- also, no chance of expading out to car park now that ehy've sold the land to Tesco's
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't see why they can't just play further into the summer to make up for the winter break. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Spain where it gets a lot lot hotter. Have FA cup 3rd round as the last game before winter break and then kick off again with the 4th round. Would bring a bit of the "magic" of the FA cup back.
  • ..... Proper away support as well !

If you lived in Portsmouth you'd want to get out of there as much as possible to.
    From Southampton Addick !