Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Duchatelet snubs CAST's AGM invitation

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/charlton/14733697.Charlton_Athletic_Supporters____Trust____disappointed____by_owner___s_snub/

Roland Duchatelet has reportedly snubbed an offer from the Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust to be the guest speaker at the organisation’s AGM.

Addicks fans wrote to Duchatelet on August 22, asking the Belgian tycoon whether he would be willing to attend the event.

But Duchatelet, who bought the club in January 2014, is yet to reply to CAST and chief executive Katrien Meire instead contacted the group.

CAST say the email from Meire was in response to their request to Duchatelet, although it made no reference to it.

“The email highlighted a number of meetings with supporters which the club are currently arranging,” CAST said.

“We have made what we think is a reasonable assumption from this that Duchatelet is not going to take up our invitation.”

The group say that while Duchatelet’s presence would have raised logistical problems, they are disappointed by the outcome of their request.

The statement added: “We are disappointed. Although his presence at our AGM would have no doubt raised a number of logistical difficulties we nevertheless think the meeting would have been an ideal opportunity for Duchatelet to demonstrate a genuine interest in meeting a wide range of supporters to explain first-hand what his vision and plans are for the club.

“At a time when many remain sceptical about his ability to remedy his mistakes of the past two years and to turn the club's fortunes around, he might have been able to inspire some confidence and support by taking the opportunity to meet concerned supporters face to face.”

Comments

• no surprise unfortunately
  • To be fair, I don't blame him.

Who would voluntarily go somewhere where there us a good chance of meeting a torrent of abuse?

Who would voluntarily go somewhere where there us a good chance of meeting a torrent of abuse?

Owen Oyston turned up at BST meeting this season.
    Didnt he get a torrent of abuse though?

Is that why he hasn't been to a Charlton game for nearly 2 years now?

• edited September 2016

To be fair, I don't blame him.

Owen Oyston turned up at BST meeting this season.
    Didnt he get a torrent of abuse though?
    http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/oyston-heckled-during-harrowing-meeting-as-tensions-rise-with-fans-again-1-8006004

According to this article he did. I would assume their NAPM stance from their fans have forced him to actually attend this meeting.
  • I think I can see a solution here.

Wait a minute.

Got it!

The meeting must be conducted in Flemish, with a translator on hand, everybody wearing headsets.

Alan Turing would have loved it Roland, you know it makes sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I think I can see a solution here.

Wait a minute.

Got it!

The meeting must be conducted in Flemish, with a translator on hand, everybody wearing headsets.

Alan Turing would have loved it Roland, you know it makes sense.

I'd be up for that!!
  • He's a silly Billy isn't he.

Who would voluntarily go somewhere where there is a good chance of meeting a torrent of abuse being tortured?

• Huh ? Weird !
  • These meetings with supporter groups does seem a little staged and contrived to me. Is there any structure to them or who picks who to attend and who chooses the group to invite in the first place?
    If you want meaningful dialogue with any organisation it nearly always involves hearing things you don't want to hear. That goes for both sides but in this case there maybe an exception.

I think such a comment also does a bit of a dis-service to those who would have organised such a meeting if he had accepted. It also simply reinforces Roland's perception of all football fans as thugs and neanderthals...
    Absolutely. If the last couple of years has proven anything it's that as a group of supporters we have among us some excellent communicators able to put their message across in a mature, non abusive way. Frankly, compared to most clubs, they have got off very lightly in terms of the levels of personal abuse levelled at them and I'm sure this "grown up" approach is reflected in the overwhelmingly positive media coverage of CARD, etc.

To suggest that CAST would allow any meeting to degenerate into a one sided slanging match, given the difficulty in getting anything out of him at all, is a nonsense imo.
    But isn't CAST a signatory to CARD?

Let's be clear that CARD stands for Campaign Against Roland Duchatalet. The key word being "AGAINST". Whatever may be the agenda, if you have That as part of your slogan, he would have to be bonkers to turn up...
  • So despite all those proclamations of being committed to improving communication with supporters, nothing has actually changed. What a surprise.

To be fair, Roland has already communicated directly with us once this year - http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/statement-3009419.aspx

Sell up, f#ck off.
  • Why on earth are The Trust again on this meet and talk track!
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

Not sticking up for him but I think he's at the shoe repairers that day.

Cobblers?
  • Of course His Royal Highness wouldn't stoop so low as to meet the peasants. C*nt.
  • edited September 2016
    The non attendance speaks volumes in itself.

They club are calling fans and asking why they haven't renewed season tickets. Yet he refuses to man up and face a few supporters because he might get a bit of abuse. People could tell him to his face if he grew a pair.

The fact that he hides behind a woman and let's her take all the flak tells you what sort of man he is.

If he can't be bothered, he could always f*ck off and get out club, become normal again.

A torrent of abuse that he could easily have avoided.

I think such a comment also does a bit of a dis-service to those who would have organised such a meeting if he had accepted. It also simply reinforces Roland's perception of all football fans as thugs and neanderthals...
    Absolutely. If the last couple of years has proven anything it's that as a group of supporters we have among us some excellent communicators able to put their message across in a mature, non abusive way. Frankly, compared to most clubs, they have got off very lightly in terms of the levels of personal abuse levelled at them and I'm sure this "grown up" approach is reflected in the overwhelmingly positive media coverage of CARD, etc.

To suggest that CAST would allow any meeting to degenerate into a one sided slanging match, given the difficulty in getting anything out of him at all, is a nonsense imo.

Let's be clear that CARD stands for Campaign Against Roland Duchatalet. The key word being "AGAINST". Whatever may be the agenda, if you have That as part of your slogan, he would have to be bonkers to turn up...
    And this is it. You can't go from hurling abuse to expecting that person to sit down and chat with you. It makes no sense and seems like just a ploy to get some attention. I'm against them as much as the next man but just think what you'd do if that offer came in after the abuse, which righly you'd deserved. Would you man up? And why should he? The answer they give out about supporters meetings etc is actually correct.....doesn't heal anything but it is happening.

If he had bothered to explain his apparently bizarre strategy and implementations, we might not have been against him. As it is, we are reasonable people, always ready to listen. Failing hearing anything that makes sense, and does not appear to set our club on course for oblivion, we are against him. What other sensible position would you expect a Supporters Trust to take?

If he had bothered to explain his apparently bizarre strategy and implementations, we might not have been against him. As it is, we are reasonable people, always ready to listen. Failing hearing anything that makes sense, and does not appear to set our club on course for oblivion, we are against him. What other sensible position would you expect a Supporters Trust to take?
    I have no intention of taking sides, but my view of the Supporters Trust is that they should follow the lead of the majority of their members.

If the majority of these are opposed to RD, then they should sign up to CARD or any LEGAL opposition the members support.

Which raises another question. Shouldn't the board of CAST not have polled their members if they WANTED RD to be invited to their AGM? Because, surely, the AGM MUST be open to all members?

And, if the majority of those members there, wanted to shout at the top of their voices "F*CK OFF!!!!" every time RD was to open his mouth, how could the Board stop that? That would just be going against what a democratic organisation was all about?