Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man U/Man C/Liverpool/Chelsea - plastics?

A Man U supporting friend of mine just posted this picture on Facebook.
I'm sure it's all in the name of, ahem, 'banter', but they surely aren't trying to one up each other on this are they?
Honestly, Man Utd and Liverpool fans claiming the high ground in the 'you've got plastic fans' argument? It's like Tupperware and a Supermarket carrier bag arguing about who's less plastic. As someone once said - "beyond parody".
Apart from anything else, I'm sure I remember Man City getting huge crowds even when they were in the third tier, so surely the claim about them isn't even true?

Deluded, blinkered, glory hunting fools. Support your local team.

Comments

• Options
    Charlton was my local team when I started walking down to the valley and supporting them and for many years after but if I had to support my local team now it would be either Wimbledon by place name or most likely (I need to check the map to verify) Fulham by proximity. Should all those charlton fans that live in Kent go and support Gillingham ? that Redmidland chappie, he doesn't sound too local. and Lordromford ???
  • Options

Charlton was my local team when I started walking down to the valley and supporting them and for many years after but if I had to support my local team now it would be either Wimbledon by place name or most likely (I need to check the map to verify) Fulham by proximity. Should all those charlton fans that live in Kent go and support Gillingham ? that Redmidland chappie, he doesn't sound too local. and Lordromford ???

Are you saying that a lot of Liverpool / Manchester fans have moved out of the Manchester area over the years then?
  • Options
    just morons, go to one of there games ull be blinded by some wanker with a selfie stick thats just paid 150 nicker to a tout, get quite a few chelsea tickets through my cousin whos mate can never be assed about going to midweek games so i get his season ticket for free, honestly its a joke down there. they've all got plastic fans.
  • Options
    "Support your local team." Not a good idea.
    I lived in South Norwood for an early part of my life, walking distance to the stuff of nightmares.
  • Options
    i do know a bloke that's got a man u season ticket trains it to every game and lived in bexley all his life.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    This page tells you almost everything you need to know about manure's plastics.

manutd.com/en/Fanzone/Local-Supporters-Clubs/Overseas/Asia.aspx

One of my nieces' husbands in Northern Ireland supports Manchester United; the other Liverpool. But only on Sky you understand, neither has actually been to a match!
  • Options

To call City fans plastics is ridiculous. They have possibly one of the most loyal fan bases in the country and got massive gates in the third tier.

Agree with this to an extent... There will be so many Man City fans who were going to Maine Road in League One who must be loving life now they're constantly fighting for the Premier League and to them I say enjoy it, sadly though those fans will be tarnished by others who've jumped on the bandwagon just because they're winning every week (No doubt the same has happened on a smaller scale with Leicester now).

I'd love to see Charlton winning the League, yet the sad fact is that if anyone asked who I supported... No doubt I'd be called a plastic for supporting them despite the fact that I've not missed a season at the Valley since 1998, yet have seen one Play-Off promotion | two titles | four relegations
  • Options

To call City fans plastics is ridiculous. They have possibly one of the most loyal fan bases in the country and got massive gates in the third tier.

Agree with this to an extent... There will be so many Man City fans who were going to Maine Road in League One who must be loving life now they're constantly fighting for the Premier League and to them I say enjoy it, sadly though those fans will be tarnished by others who've jumped on the bandwagon just because they're winning every week (No doubt the same has happened on a smaller scale with Leicester now).

I'd love to see Charlton winning the League, yet the sad fact is that if anyone asked who I supported... No doubt I'd be called a plastic for supporting them despite the fact that I've not missed a season at the Valley since 1998, yet have seen one Play-Off promotion | two titles | four relegations
    True, but that is the nature of football. The more successful you are, the better the players you attract and as a result more people turn up to see a successful team playing with exciting players. I guess my point is that Man City's core support is very big.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Put it this way, there are thousands of "fans" if Liverpool and ManUre who walk around in the kit, who live in and around London and have never been to a match. I only ever see Man City shirts in London when they have an away game in the area. The fact they still don't sell out the Etihad suggests they haven't had a massive influx of plastic fans. I'm not sure about Chelsea, they have probably had more people jump on the bandwagon, but again nowhere near the amount that Liverpool and ManUre have had
  • Options
    Where are our Premiership plastics now we need them most
  • Options

True, but that is the nature of football. The more successful you are, the better the players you attract and as a result more people turn up to see a successful team playing with exciting players. I guess my point is that Man City's core support is very big.
    Yet at the same time I dont get people who chop and change the team they support...

For me that is what a plastic fan is
  • Options

Apart from the Bulgarian fella who was temping in my office last year who came in wearing a City shirt, proclaiming to have been supporting them for 25 years lol. Plastic.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I have plenty of City and Utd fans on social media thanks to my years working in Manchester and I can without a doubt City are the worst in terms of terrible banter and tetchiness. I have had videos of the 6-1 win all over my feeds for the last 4 weeks, but I never see any Utd fans rising to the bait. Of course, all it takes is for one Utd fan to post a picture of a half-empty Etihad or to compare Utd and City trophies and the City fans take the bait in droves. City fans also never think that their success is in any way cheapened by the fact all of their recent success to thanks to foreign money, as opposed to a good academy and developing talent.

Liverpool fans are just clowns. Real Liverpudlians support Everton. Anfield is filled with those bussed in from leafy Cheshire or the London tourists.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    JohnBoyUK said:

Apart from the Bulgarian fella who was temping in my office last year who came in wearing a City shirt, proclaiming to have been supporting them for 25 years lol. Plastic.
    You should have fired off a load of City related questions covering the last 25 years. He probably would only be able to go back 4 or 5 years - without the aid of Google.
  • Options
    Whatever club you support , you have differing levels of pain and pleasure
    Sloshing around in mid table of Prem is dream stuff for us but junk for the big boys
    Sloshing around in mid table league one is junk for us but dreamland for fleetwood
    So a win to us in the Prem was a big deal a loss to the big boys is a big big deal
    Vice versa for us in league one
    Liverpool fans who are 40 odd now started supporting during the glory years and relative to their past the last few years have been crap for them but would be dreamland for us
    I don't like the we are better than them cos our clubs not so successful attitude because I don't think fleetwood fans are better than me cos their clubs not as successful
    Liverpool and Man Utd have got monster sized support home and away and no doubt they'd still have ridiculous numbers if they slid down the leagues like MAn City did
    Crowds have risen from when I started watching Charlton in the late 70's and took off with the premiership and all the revamped bollox bringing new fans in
    Good I say , the more the merrier who like football
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

You should have fired off a load of City related questions covering the last 25 years. He probably would only be able to go back 4 or 5 years - without the aid of Google.
    I work with an Arsenal fan who doesnt know Ian Wright
    Ian Wright's a busy man, I'm sure he hasn't had time to meet every Arsenal fan. There are at least 40 of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JohnBoyUK said:

I work with an Arsenal fan who doesnt know who Ian Wright is
    That's because he isn't French.
  • Options
    Manchester united have a mixture of great loyal fans and ultra plastics.

Man city have always had the support, regardless. I think alot of em may prefer the old days of playing at Maine road etc

Arsenal fans are starting to like of forget why they support arsenal.

Liverpool have always had the loyal supporters but obviously pretty much mirror manu in this sense that they will get alot of plastics.

Chelsea....that's the bandwagon jump club.
  • Options
    I blame the parents. If you are not taken to football at a youngish age you will be influenced by the TV and you will end up 'following' one of the big 4 or five teams in the prem.

My Dad was born in 1933 in Hackney. Moved to Mottingham when he was 5 and then lived in Eltham and Mottingham all his life. He started supporting Charlton in 1947 (when he was 14). I used to call him a glory seeker.

I started supporting Charlton when we were fighting relegation at Selhurst (although I did attend about 7-8 games at the Valley prior to Sept. 85, including the very last game agsinst Stoke. I was just a kid and supported Liverpool at the time). I too am a glory seeker. It just hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

I blame the parents. If you are not taken to football at a youngish age you will be influenced by the TV and you will end up 'following' one of the big 4 or five teams in the prem.

My Dad was born in 1933 in Hackney. Moved to Mottingham when he was 5 and then lived in Eltham and Mottingham all his life. He started supporting Charlton in 1947 (when he was 14). I used to call him a glory seeker.

I started supporting Charlton when we were fighting relegation at Selhurst (although I did attend about 7-8 games at the Valley prior to Sept. 85, including the very last game agsinst Stoke. I was just a kid and supported Liverpool at the time). I too am a glory seeker. It just hasn't happened yet.

I agree with this... My Dad and Grandad both supported Charlton and went to games before I was born yet both had stopped going before I came along in 1983.

As I grew up I was a Spurs fan in Primary School (Because of mates) and then became a Man Utd fan in 1992 when we got SKY at home. In 1994 I got free tickets through Primary School to go see Charlton v Stoke, was my first ever game and watching it made me realise that due to locality I stood more chance of seeing Charlton than any other team so might as well support them.

My Dad worked with someone who goes to Charlton (least I hope he still does as havent seen him there for years now) who took me on a few occasions which helped cement my support for the Addicks... My only disappointment is that I loved Charlton at Wembley but I never understood the magnitude of what we'd managed which sort of diminishes the day for me... i.e. If that happened now I'd go mental and doubt Id survive the day.

All that wouldnt have happened though if not for the free tickets and reckon I would be a Man Utd myself still
  • Options
    'Liverpool vs Manchester United Banter Page'

Pure AIDS.
  • Options
    I grew up in Surrey, where pretty much the only local team is non-league Woking (or Palace..) so you see more than your fair share of far-flung fans at school. When we got promoted I used to get abuse at school whenever we inevitably lost to Man Utd or Liverpool or Arsenal because 'their' team beat mine. Never mind the fact they'd never been to the ground, they just picked the team who were winning most when they started watching football. It goes in cycles; in the 80s more kids grew up as Liverpool fans because they were still seen as the successful team. In the 90s it was mostly Man Utd fans as Sir Alex began his stranglehold of the league. There were always Chelsea fans in there, and that number has increased since Abramovich moved in. Now there's Man City fans popping up more and more and you almost never saw them in the past. Kids will be drawn to a successful team as long as there's a local team vacuum.

The thing is, it all comes down to personal opinion on what makes a plastic fan as much as the team these people pick does. Loads of people see Chelsea as a plastic club since the money came in, but my mum has supported them since the 60s and saw them relegated so I have a harder time getting upset about their more recent success. They were also always a great cup team pre-Abramovich. On the other hand because there were so many arrogant bloody Man Utd fans around me when I was young I've grown up despising that club. Personally I like City; I respected them and their fans when they didn't have cash and I like that there's additional teams to challenge at the top of the Premier League. Cristiano Ronaldo, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Rio Ferdinand hardly grew up watching Utd from the Stretford End and they've been setting British transfer records since 1962, so if it's just an influx of money that makes fans 'plastic' then I suspect Utd and Liverpool fans are just upset that they've got more challenge at the top. Sod them
  • Options

Whatever club you support , you have differing levels of pain and pleasure
    Sloshing around in mid table of Prem is dream stuff for us but junk for the big boys
    Sloshing around in mid table league one is junk for us but dreamland for fleetwood
    So a win to us in the Prem was a big deal a loss to the big boys is a big big deal
    Vice versa for us in league one
    Liverpool fans who are 40 odd now started supporting during the glory years and relative to their past the last few years have been crap for them but would be dreamland for us
    I don't like the we are better than them cos our clubs not so successful attitude because I don't think fleetwood fans are better than me cos their clubs not as successful
    Liverpool and Man Utd have got monster sized support home and away and no doubt they'd still have ridiculous numbers if they slid down the leagues like MAn City did
    Crowds have risen from when I started watching Charlton in the late 70's and took off with the premiership and all the revamped bollox bringing new fans in
    Good I say , the more the merrier who like football

What about our away crowds?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Although I was born in Woolwich, my two boys were born in Kent and Gillingham would have been their nearest club.

I took them to their first game at The Valley on Boxing Day 1997 against Norwich. They were 6 and 8 and for weeks and weeks leading up to the game I was saying 'won't be long now' - they were so excited.

Come the day we drove up to The Valley, parked up and started walking towards the ground. When the ground came into view I stopped and, bare in mind they were shaking with excitement at this stage, said to them that they had a choice to make. If they walk through the turnstiles they are committing to support Charlton Athletic for ever, and if they didn't want to make that commitment and have the option to support another team we would turn around and walk back to the car. Guess what they decided? Manipulative yes - but it worked and nearly 20 years on they are probably more passionate about Charlton than their old man!

Nice to see you're so proud of inflicting so much pain on them ;)
  • Options
    I feel I should clarify my 'support your local team' comment on the OP. I should point out that I do understand that it's not that cut and dry for many people. Many on here support Charlton (or other teams) for reasons other than locality, but that's not the point.
    My point really was that a generalisation about supporter 'plasticity' from these particular sets of fans is ironic in the extreme. So I lazily threw that generalisation back in.

There are a lot of reasons for supporting a particular team and, to an extent, who are we to judge? If I followed my 'support your local team' advice, I would now support a team in Dubai, but I don't. Considering the various places I lived growing up, I could justify supporting, as a 'local' team, Charlton, Welling, Barnet, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham or Dagenham and Redbridge.
    In the end, my dad's influence outweighed that of my uncles and stepdad (West Ham) or following success (Arsenal or Spurs).
    At the end of the day, we can all support who we like, but many feel like their reason is better than that of the bandwagon jumpers. I don't think my reason is more worthy than others, but I do find it disappointing that so many people blindly follow one of the big teams "because they're good".

By the way, I've been approached three times this week by kids at my school asking which team I support. Each time I answered "Charlton" and each time the response was: "No, which Premier League Side?"