Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Black and White Day v Wimbledon - and a protest shirt photo

Protest shirts assemble! The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is calling for as many purchasers of the Charlton protest shirt as possible to join a huge team photo prior to the next home match against Wimbledon, which it is has declared Black and White Day.

Around 1,000 fans have bought the shirts to show their opposition to Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet, and as part of a boycott of the club's official strips. And CARD will use the protest shirt photo - which will take place at 2.35pm behind the north stand, near the giant Charlton badge - to produce a special poster.

Photos of supporters proudly wearing their protest shirt have been widely shared on social media over the past few weeks.

The shirts are black and white to mark the colours worn in the team’s 1947 FA Cup final win over Burnley. These colours were adopted by protestors last season, and around 1,500 black and white scarves were handed out to supporters.

Now a further 500 will be given away to fans prior to the Wimbledon match. The scarves will be distributed at 2.25pm, again behind the north stand.

CARD is therefore urging all supporters to bring their existing black and white scarves and wear the same colours as part of Black and White Day at the match against Wimbledon on Saturday, September 17th.

A CARD spokesperson said: "The first black and white protest shirts were delivered just before the last home match, and it was very noticeable both how many fans were wearing them at the game, and how few supporters were wearing this season's new kit.

"It's a shirt that supporters can really take pride in wearing at the moment, and it's a way of signalling our ongoing support for the team and the history of the club, and our revulsion at what Duchatelet and this regime have done to our club."

"For those fans going to the game after the photo, Black and White Day is an opportunity to support the team while making clear their views of the regime.”

The high quality protest shirts, featuring a badge that includes the notorious beach balls thrown onto the pitch to disrupt last season's match against Middlesbrough, were produced entirely by a group of volunteers.

And a former club partner, Data Techniques, has stepped forward to provide sponsorship, which has been donated to local charity Demelza Hospice. All profits from sales of the shirts will be split equally between the Charlton protest fund, which is being run independently by two fans to support protest ideas, and local charities.

Comments

• The coveredendchoir website is now live again to sell the remaining shirts. Be quick some sizes have already sold out
  • It was strange at the last home game wearing the protest shirt in front of the Data Techniques box which has now been taken over by another company
  • How did the shirts go down? Was there any agg from fans still supporting the regime?
  • Technically, the protest shirts are white and black. Just saying...
  • Looking forward to seeing this......
  • jamescafc said:

How did the shirts go down? Was there any agg from fans still supporting the regime?

Ask @Norman_Smith
  • Technically, the protest shirts are white and black. Just saying...

Not from the back :-)
  • why are these no longer announcements and sticky?
  • Good luck to all. Sadly two protest shirts on holiday so unable to join the picture, can we take a holiday snap and be included in a small round photo on the side like they used to in team photos in yesteryear.
  • I think it would be good to get a collage of photos of fans wearing the shirts in iconic or unusual locations. We have posted shirts to Denmark, USA, Canada, 23 to Sweden New Zealand, Singapore, Czech Republic, Holland, Australia, China and that's just the ones I can remember.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ordered mine yesterday so no idea if it will come in time. If not I got large Brittany flag I can bring along.
  • TEL said:

I think it would be good to get a collage of photos of fans wearing the shirts in iconic or unusual locations. We have posted shirts to Denmark, USA, Canada, 23 to Sweden New Zealand, Singapore, Czech Republic, Holland, Australia, China and that's just the ones I can remember.

Great idea.

How about a photo of one at as many grounds as possible, maybe an attempt to do the '92', but extending to wherever.
  • Any idea if shirts will be on sale on the day?
  • RanTooFar said:

Any idea if shirts will be on sale on the day?

Talk to @charltonnick he plans to take some along
  • Making this my first home game of the season. Where are all the singers congregating this season, is it still north upper or has everyone moved to the lower?
  • Looking forward to this. Lucky, I've been given a freebie, otherwise I'd have gone to the demo only.
  • Shouldn't we try and get all the shirts sitting in one area, ideally in KM's eyeline.
  • Croydon said:

Making this my first home game of the season. Where are all the singers congregating this season, is it still north upper or has everyone moved to the lower?

Like the X-factor, you might want to think of it in terms of we've progressed to the boot camp stage this season. Whereas all the good and crap singers were pitched together in the upper north last season, those with 3 or 4 Yes's from the judges have progressed to the Covered End (lower north to the uninitiated) and the rest have been left behind upstairs with the drum is balancing out the less tuneful warbling. The result is a far better and tuneful atmosphere. If the only people that think you are a good singer is your mum or a tone-deaf mate then you might find the upper north suits you best.
  • TEL said:

Lars and some of the 23 Swedish Addicks who ordered shirts

I thought Swede's were supposed to be rugged, tall and handsome ... #justsaying
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:

TEL said:

Its a mashup between being Swedish and being a Charlton fan!!
  • edited September 2016

_MrDick said:

TEL said:

God help us poor natives then! ;)

Jokes aside, that's quality from the Swedes. Whereabouts are they based in Sweden?
  • LuckyReds said:

_MrDick said:

TEL said:

God help us poor natives then! ;)

Jokes aside, that's quality from the Swedes. Whereabouts are they based in Sweden?
    They actually come from all over Sweden from what I recall.
  • Hate to say, but I saw more Club kits at Fleetwood than the protest shirts.
  • Addickted said:

Hate to say, but I saw more Club kits at Fleetwood than the protest shirts.

I don't think anyone imagined the protest shirt would outsell the official replica though, did they?
  • Addickted said:

I don't think anyone imagined the protest shirt would outsell the official replica though, did they?
    True. But I thought I'd see more than I did on Saturday.

Perhaps a lot of people ordered the wrong size. :wink:

• Addickted said:

Head to head (or should that be shirt to shirt?) I thought it was fairly even. There were a lot of older official ones too - even from the FADS days - I'm hoping that's people keeping their protest ones clean and fresh ahead of next Saturday.

Any idea how many official ones the club normally sell, @Airman Brown?