Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rio 2016 Paralympics

2»

Comments

• Fiiish said:

rina said:

Wonder why they werent in the Olympics then?

Didnt Pistorius successfully get into the main events prior to going to prison?
    because it's an interesting fact but no more

the 1500 final at the olympics was a very tactical and slow race as championship finals often are hence the paralympic guys running faster, they tend to time trial it more

none of them would have got close to qualifying for the final, semis are run much faster. indeed I'd be surprised if any of them have ever run close to the Olympic qualifying time
    I understand that purposely running slowly is a tactic in a race, just as that nonsense that happens in the Velodrome where both cyclists move at slowly as possible for two laps is a tactic, but I'm not sure I will ever understand why it is a preferable tactic. I also feel that, in some way, it goes against the idea of athletic pursuit; surely every racer should be gunning for an Olympic or World record, not jogging at half pace because it is tactical.
    Nobody wants to run at the front as you use more energy that way, hence everyone is waiting for someone else to front run

In non championship races they use pacemakers to solve this problem, hence the much quicker times.
  • Fiiish said:

rina said:

Wonder why they werent in the Olympics then?

Didnt Pistorius successfully get into the main events prior to going to prison?
    because it's an interesting fact but no more

the 1500 final at the olympics was a very tactical and slow race as championship finals often are hence the paralympic guys running faster, they tend to time trial it more

none of them would have got close to qualifying for the final, semis are run much faster. indeed I'd be surprised if any of them have ever run close to the Olympic qualifying time
    I understand that purposely running slowly is a tactic in a race, just as that nonsense that happens in the Velodrome where both cyclists move at slowly as possible for two laps is a tactic, but I'm not sure I will ever understand why it is a preferable tactic. I also feel that, in some way, it goes against the idea of athletic pursuit; surely every racer should be gunning for an Olympic or World record, not jogging at half pace because it is tactical.
    on a calm day a middle distance runner at the front of a group is using something like 4-5% extra energy than someone tucked in behind them. this is nowhere near the drafting benefit you get on a bike but still significant

during the season in Diamond League meetings and the like they can go for world records a lot more as there are paid pacemakers so the main contenders can just tuck in for the first half

once you get into championship races there are no pacemakers so you're unlikely to find anyone willing to stay on the front for long (look at how Mo is rarely on the front in the early stages apart from occasionally reminding everyone he's there)

championship semi finals are often quicker as those who are borderline to qualify have to take a bit of a gamble and just go for it
  • this is why Mo is so dominant in championships, no one is willing to sacrifice their own race to try and break him so the race is run entirely within his comfort zone and he can just hit the front and kick when he likes

the only conceivable way to beat him at his best would be for a group of runners to take turns at the front in order to keep the pace high and try to break him but it's not likely to happen- no one's going to make that sacrifice especially as there's nothing to say it would work anyway

• There are not many things on TV that move me, but Jesus, this is one.

• There are not many things on TV that move me, but Jesus, this is one.
    That is brilliant.
  • I really enjoy the Last Leg during the Paralympics - it's been decent during the four years since London but really comes into its own during the games rather than as a political/current events show.
  • Well said, Alex. I enjoy the Last Leg more than the live sport - shame a programme like that was missing from BBC coverage of Olympics this time.
  • Iranian cyclist died in today's road race. Horrible.
  • Yeah RIP.

tragic.
  • The whole event was such an inspiration. many emotional moments