Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Darkest day of my life supporting Charlton 31 years ago today.

Who would have thought it 31 years ago today we received the A5 sheet via t he turn style operator notifying us that our next home match against Stoke would be our last at the Valley. The chairman John Fryer was kind enough to give us directions to the ground and even notify us that you can get the 75 bus to the ground. Like many that day i still didn't believe it and something would be done prior to the move, but i am guessing that this was down to me being a 14 year old lad that couldn't get my head around sharing a ground and no longer being able to come to the ground every week that i adored and watching my hero's every week.

http://rednbluearmy.co.uk/articles/06-09-16-back-day-september-7th-charlton-announce-move-selhurst-park?

Comments

• Dark memories indeed. Hate to say it but that's a good feature on the link. Good job it was only 15 minutes on the 75 from Charlton (according to some prick at the Sub-Standard who seemed to think we were making a mountain out of a molehill).
  • Paddy7 said:

Dark memories indeed. Hate to say it but that's a good feature on the link. Good job it was only 15 minutes on the 75 from Charlton (according to some prick at the Sub-Standard who seemed to think we were making a mountain out of a molehill).

Probably the same prick who said "oh just let them die"
  • Remember saying to my dad,what the f--- is this all about.

To make it worse the last game at the Valley was on my birthday.
  • I wish I had kept that sheet. I just threw it away in disgust, but it was part of our history. It was a terrible thing at teh time, but adversity galvanised us to build something special. It gives me hope for today. I wish the owner had a concept of what a force for good Charlton fans can be if you have them working with you.
  • I wish I had kept that sheet. I just threw it away in disgust, but it was part of our history. It was a terrible thing at teh time, but adversity galvanised us to build something special. It gives me hope for today. I wish the owner had a concept of what a force for good Charlton fans can be if you have them working with you.

Don't think people could believe what they reading when the sheet was handed to you.
  • I've still got mine.
  • pettgra said:

Paddy7 said:

Dark memories indeed. Hate to say it but that's a good feature on the link. Good job it was only 15 minutes on the 75 from Charlton (according to some prick at the Sub-Standard who seemed to think we were making a mountain out of a molehill).

That 'Let them die' quote was from Mike Langley. Died a few years ago and is buried somewhere in Crewe. Fitting that such a cunt would be buried in an absolute cunt's ear of a town.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGBnqXEr8I

That's a proper walk at 23 seconds in
  • Croydon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGBnqXEr8I

One of the old school.
  • I've still got mine.

Henry will want that for the museum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great footage...the older addict looked like Rodney Trotter as he is now (just seen rehash of Goodnight Sweetheart). The Valley was Motty's first football found experience so personal for him. Prescient of Graham Hortop and his choice of tie colours.
  • Wingnut has a face for radio.
  • What a sad day that was, remember it well.
  • markmc68 said:

Wingnut has a face for radio.

He aint got a voice for one
  • pettgra said:

Paddy7 said:

That 'Let them die' quote was from Mike Langley. Died a few years ago and is buried somewhere in Crewe. Fitting that such a cunt would be buried in an absolute cunt's ear of a town.
    I remember him very well. Did he write in the Standard or the People or neither.
    Hope we banned him from the press box, but I suppose we were bigger than that.
    I would have still banned him though!
  • It was a dark day, and believe me I think we may have worse to come, however we will win and these muppets will fuck off!
    ROLAND OUT!!!
  • edited September 2016
    Went to run on the pitch on the last game v Stoke but the police shut an opened gate on the old crumbling stand,another copper said to me if you make it to the next one before us you will get on.
  • Remeber the guy climbing the floodlight, I doubt that the current football days will ever be as bad as that. Not a pot to piss in, ground have closed we were bang in trouble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:

Nicholas Lyndhurst on 47.
  • Stig said:

Croydon said:

Nicholas Lyndhurst on 47.
    Rodney Charlton Tro....
  • Croydon said:

He still bowls like that today.

• I've still got mine.

Henry will want that for the museum.
    Already got one which is on display along with a lot of other exile and Valley party stuff @WhenIwasLittleBoy

• A dark time indeed. But it was still my Charlton. When I see the smirk on KMs face I do not feel it's my Charlton. These are darker days.
  • The move to Selhurst (and the things that led to that decision) set in motion the ticking clock that would see CAFC battle on a foreign field to achieve promotion and retention of First Division status. Club, manager, players and supporters felt as a unit, battling the odds. And then came The Valley Party and the countdown to December 5th 1992. Triumph through adversity.
    Compare all that to the sacking of Chris Powell and the state of the club today, which is all the more upsetting in that much of what had been achieved was done away with. It's all very well saying a British manager has been appointed who has assembled a decent side. It's not what it was, and until Duchatelet goes, it never will be.
  • It was shit but we made the most of it had some of my best moments following us back then
  • It was shit but we made the most of it had some of my best moments following us back then

Scab