Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The pain of being the 12th man (or woman!)

Well, here's a (nervous) first posting to the Charlton Life forum. But recently started to follow protests at Coventry and said would share this blog from Coventry fan (Matty Roper on facebook or twitter @M_Roper96) about mismanagement at clubs including CAFC. Can read it here: https://mattyroper.wordpress.com/2016/09/03/the-pain-of-being-the-12th-man/

But anyone on here that knows me (no one I suspect) will know that I'm an advocate of fans ownership and entirely agree with conclusion of article that "A radical change is needed within the world of football as too many prestigious clubs are being destroyed in the modern day." Which means not just talking about what we don't want - Dutchatelet and Meire - but what form of ownership we do want. For me that's fans ownership (of some sort). Aware in a minority on this but option we should be considering.

Comments

• Great post, Sam, and thanks for sharing. I think I do know you from your user name. I'm Heather.
  • I believe in fan decision making or fans sort of being in a similar situation to the role of congress.

These fans are elected.

It doesn't completely stop the power of the business owner in all it's forms. It just stops things that maybe potentially absolutely unnecessarily stupid.

Such as some of the many things we have endured over the last 2.7 years.

Every big decision would have to go through this specific group 1st of all.

Would stop the arrogance of complete muppets like Duchatelet.
  • There are so many terribly run football clubs that Coventry are so easily overlooked. I'd personally completely forgotten about the fact that they'd been forced to play 30+ miles from their ground.

I hate to be the most pessimistic person here, but I feel like we have to move past the notion that somehow the FA or the Football League are going to step in and install fit and proper person's tests that work. Even if they put more stringent rules into place, it could be argued that someone like Roland might have passed anyway. And once an owner is instilled at a club, what can they do? They can't exactly remove the owner from the clubs (as clubs are almost always private entities) and the prospect of, at worst, kicking then out of the league could well do more damage than it's worth.

I wish I had a solution. I believe it's the national supporters trust that has proposed clubs being required to have supporters on the board of all clubs, which I think would be a great step in the right direction. But until supporters are actual shareholders, I don't see things changing unfortunately.
  • The FA and Football League need to merge. Use the billions from Sky to purchase every single football club and have them owned by the FA - with powers divulged to the competent fans. Equal money to all clubs, with a small bonus dependent on where you finish.

Too out of reach, but it would be best for football.