Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Not too dissimilar type of penalty similar to the Kermogant Leicester penalty. Shows Lookman's level of confidence to attempt it.
  • Why was there a penalty shootout ? Didn't England lose 2-1 ?
  • That looked good, he has a lot of confidence
  • Took it well, made it look like he was going to blast it and completely done the keeper. They always worry me those types of pens, if you miss you look like a right mug. Obviously if they go in, you get all the plaudits, but poor old Yann knows about missing one of those. I guess in a match like this it didn't matter though.
  • Sneaky little..... (I'm on TV better shut up now)
  • se9addick said:

Why was there a penalty shootout ? Didn't England lose 2-1 ?

They did lose 2-1. They just took penaties after as a so called practice exercise. And lost 3-2
    that's pathetic , i mean could there be any less pressure on the penalty in a game you've already lost!
    no wonder he did a panenka
  • se9addick said:

They did lose 2-1. They just took penaties after as a so called practice exercise. And lost 3-2
    that's pathetic , i mean could there be any less pressure on the penalty in a game you've already lost!
    Agreed, it's sort of situation where nobody cares if you miss, but if you score with a cheeky penalty you get lots of positive publicity and a big move to the Premier League in the next transfer window
  • Sponsored links:

• I like the way he managed to psyche out the goalie but that might very well backfire on him if he tried it against a more experienced keeper in the league. Still, keeps his confidence up which is vital right now.
  • Or maybe he is experienced enough to know what to do against any particular keeper?

If he does the same thing for every penalty he takes (probably mine for Charlton) he will get found out very quickly, probably knows that.
  • Roland saw it and phoned Meire instantly. Put another ten on his asking price and tell Slade to wrap him in cotton wool until the 85th minute now.

Meire scribbles down LOOKMAN £1,000,010 before returning to her Pinocchio puppet show "I'm a real CEO" she's heard to say.
  • Reminded me of Di Canio against Seaman .
  • Brilliant penalty! Such confidence from from the young lad
  • se9addick said:

Agreed, it's sort of situation where nobody cares if you miss, but if you score with a cheeky penalty you get lots of positive publicity and a big move to the Premier League in the next transfer window
    It's exactly the sort of penalty that would get him noticed by idiots like Thomas Driesen.

Lens Leimann I believe,
  • What's the betting he does this in a pen shootout for us and it goes wrong haha
  • Sponsored links:

• robroy said:

What's the betting he does this in a pen shootout for us and it goes wrong haha

I don't mind if its the Checkatrade and it knocks us out
  • Valley11 said:

Think I'd bollock him if I was the coach.

Yet its a good reason why we're potentially failing compared to other nations.

Its clear that every other Nation will concentrate on a players flair and skill rather than the result... this was a friendly so is the perfect opportunity for new things to be tried and if they dont come off or if we lose then who cares, its a nothing match and its a youth match... Lookman should be applauded by the coaches for attempting it as it'll encourage him to be skillful going forward rather than finding the quickest route to the goal.

I agree though, if it was a competitive game with Lookman missing that type of penalty, he should be given a quiet word by the Manager but not a bollocking... To be honest I dont seem him doing it too often as Goalkeepers will eventually get wise to it

Lens Leimann I believe,
    It might have even been Jens Lehmann
    Pretty sure it was Jens Jayman.
  • Valley11 said:

Think I'd bollock him if I was the coach.

Yet its a good reason why we're potentially failing compared to other nations.

Its clear that every other Nation will concentrate on a players flair and skill rather than the result... this was a friendly so is the perfect opportunity for new things to be tried and if they dont come off or if we lose then who cares, its a nothing match and its a youth match... Lookman should be applauded by the coaches for attempting it as it'll encourage him to be skillful going forward rather than finding the quickest route to the goal.

I agree though, if it was a competitive game with Lookman missing that type of penalty, he should be given a quiet word by the Manager but not a bollocking... To be honest I dont seem him doing it too often as Goalkeepers will eventually get wise to it
    I think you're reading just a bit too much into a penalty in a penalty shootout in a friendly BUT, I would argue that England long ago fell behind other nations in this regard. That's fine if you're a Germany or even Spain, countries who produce wonderfully gifted players capable of creating using timing, vision, technique, and a wonderful understanding of the game.

But I'd point to the England team in the summer, Raheem Sterling got all kinds of pelters for being poor, even though I don't think he was all that poor and the team was not set up well for him, whereas Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney were awful--two players who the team was set up around. They looked as though they'd forgotten what a football is, but because they run around a bit (and possibly some other reasons), they weren't given nearly the amount of stick.

I'm reminded of this every time someone on here refers to "the step over police" or chastised Harriott for being too flair. You have to be willing to try things and to fail to have those truly special moments that different decent players from really good players.
  • It was Len Goodman
  • Pretty sure it was Bob Wilson

As others have said it was Jens Lehmann ( October 2003)
    I think it was the next day and matt_cafc wanted his picture taken with Di Canino who was appearing in the club shop. Matt was still quite young and scoring goals for fun in the U11 Tandridge league.

In the short window between shots ( a big Queue) i asked Paolo when he decides where his Penalty will go ?

"when i look into the the Keepers eyes"