Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Majorca 2017

Comments

• Options
    Currently in Magaluf with the missus and brother and wife Off to Alcudia for a few day on Thursday. Weather great €2.8 for two pints :-) . Up for beer with anyone who is in Alcudia. Cheers
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm off to Alcudia in three weeks staying in the rather wonderful Club Mac as my daughter's dance school are part of the nightly entertainment for a week. Did the same holiday two years ago and, if ever a place brought out the snob in me, it's Club Mac; three high rise hotels, all inclusive, lots of heavily tattooed northerners, kids running amok etc etc. I'll make the best of it i suppose and will definitely try to see more of the island this time rather than just taking in the "sights" of the hotel.
  • Options
    Get in club mac couldnt have put it better myself
    Has the feel of a prison camp
    But there was a few good bars near bye
    Wonder if the pirate bar is stil there
    Had some good times there
  • Options
    Beware of the lucky men!!
  • Options
    Been UK caravans for the last few years so wanted to try and get the kids on the plane and somewhere hot again.

Booked a week in the summer holidays which after much searching, we managed to get without the need for taking on a 2nd and 3rd job or needing to sell any body organs to finance (it is criminal what they do to prices in summer).

beconing increasingly concerned though that although it looks very nice, the hotel is a sports facility that seems rammed full of cyclists, swimmers and triathletes in training. Reckon I'm going to carry the body fat for the rest of the hotel put together

Fingers crossed all ok for the kids, as still cost a load

Based in Port de Pollensa
  • Options

Been UK caravans for the last few years so wanted to try and get the kids on the plane and somewhere hot again.

Booked a week in the summer holidays which after much searching, we managed to get without the need for taking on a 2nd and 3rd job or needing to sell any body organs to finance (it is criminal what they do to prices in summer).

beconing increasingly concerned though that although it looks very nice, the hotel is a sports facility that seems rammed full of cyclists, swimmers and triathletes in training. Reckon I'm going to carry the body fat for the rest of the hotel put together

It'll be fine mate. Cyclists flock to Mallorca because the roads are flat and well maintained (and there is very little traffic).

I stayed in Cala Millor a couple of years back and the hotel was full of cyclists from Mainland Spain, Germany, Sweden and the UK but they just get on with their business and let you get on with yours. It actually works out pretty well because the swimming pools and sunbeds are relatively clear until they all start getting back (usually about 4pm). This was fine with us though as we usually went back to the room about 5 to get the kids ready for dinner.
  • Options

Mate you'll love it there. We're going back end of August. Proper family area , the boys will love the town square . This will be our fourth time there
  • Options
    Looking to go to Majorca for whole of June next year whilst World Cup is on.
    Going to be kids in their teens and early twenties, so looking for something semi-lively for them to go to in an evening, but also relaxing with nice beach , and hopefully stay in a nice villa.
    Puerto Pollensa has been recommended to me.
    Any other suggestions?
  • Options

Going to be kids in their teens and early twenties, so looking for something semi-lively for them to go to in an evening, but also relaxing with nice beach , and hopefully stay in a nice villa.
    Any other suggestions?

Wouldn’t suggest Puerta Photos polenca for teens and twenties. More for families and older people in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Any other suggestions?

Looking at your requirements mate Palma Nova may be a good shout. Quite lively as it's not too far at all from Magaluf but probably not as chaotic. My shout would probably be Alcudia though. Decent large resort with a good beach and loads of bars/restaurants that cater for the needs of the average British traveller. And for a bit of culture and a great market, Alcudia old town is a must.
  • Options

Any other suggestions?

Looking at your requirements mate Palma Nova may be a good shout. Quite lively as it's not too far at all from Magaluf but probably not as chaotic. My shout would probably be Alcudia though. Decent large resort with a good beach and loads of bars/restaurants that cater for the needs of the average British traveller. And for a bit of culture and a great market, Alcudia old town is a must.
    Plus Alcudia isn’t very far from Puerta Polenca anyway which has nicer beaches and restaurants.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Any other suggestions?

Plus Alcudia isn’t very far from Puerta Polenca anyway which has nicer beaches and restaurants.
    Alcudia has nicer beaches? or PP?
  • Options

buckshee said:

Any other suggestions?

They are only 10 mins apart by bus.

PP is lovely but as said probably not perfectly suited for your kids age ranges. Alcudia is also nice but a larger resort than would probably have a bit more in terms of nightlife.

If you want to avoid Magaluf / Palma Nova, would also look into Cala Millor along with Alcudia, and though I've never been El Arenal
  • Options
    https://seemallorca.com/

Found this site to be extremely useful in the past. I agree that PP might be a bit quiet for what you're after, and Alcudia is a good shout. I much prefer the north and west of the island to the rest.
  • Options

buckshee said:

Any other suggestions?

Not a lot in it mate it mate to be fair. Majorca has nice beaches in general. I have been to Cala D'or, Sa Coma, Can Picafort, Cala Millor, Alcudia, Palma Nova and have never been to a bad beach yet. Must admit, haven't been up to Puerto Pollenca though but have heard nothing but good things about it. The resort may (possibly?) be a bit too quiet for your party though. Alcudia is bigger and busier than Pollenca I think and may well suit the age range in your party more. You won't be disappointed with the beach in Alcudia or anywhere in Majorca in my opinion.

If you head to the south-east (Cala Ferrera and Cala D'or) your beaches are more 'cove like' and in bays, whereas Alcudia etc are wider and more expansive with arguably more stuff going on on the beach.
  • Options
    That's one of the reasons for going out there AFKA, do a reccy of the place, with a view to living out there 6 months of the year- and rent the villa out for the other 6 summer months.
    One down side I can see so far is that Majorca is isolated i.e. you have to fly there.
    Whats the winter temps like?
  • Options

Any other suggestions?

Cala dor mate .ive just come back and will be going for 2 weeks also during the World Cup. Perfect for families, couples and a group of mates . Been going 20+ years and would live there if I could
  • Options
    Yes, someone else has mentioned Cala D'or to me - is there much about for 18-22 year olds?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, someone else has mentioned Cala D'or to me - is there much about for 18-22 year olds?

Defintely not & I've been there loads of times. Ideal for families with small kids.
  • Options

There's a few clubs , lots of bars , nice restaurant etc . Depends what people are into don't it. I haven't got a bad word to say about it though and I'm mid 20s
  • Options
    edited September 2017

love Majorca. could happily live there

Me too. Up in the hills above Palma (Son Vida), or Valldemossa up in the mountains. Palma is also one of my favourite cities.
  • Options

That's one of the reasons for going out there AFKA, do a reccy of the place, with a view to living out there 6 months of the year- and rent the villa out for the other 6 summer months.
    One down side I can see so far is that Majorca is isolated i.e. you have to fly there.

I think you'll find that the weather in the North i.e. Alcudia and Porto Pollensa can be much cooler in winter. A lot of people shut up in winter and move South
  • Options

I think you'll find that the weather in the North i.e. Alcudia and Porto Pollensa can be much cooler in winter. A lot of people shut up in winter and move South
    I was thinking of moving out there about 10 years ago and a Bar owner gave me some really good advice. He said rent an apartment out here in the winter for 3 or more months and see if you like it . A lot of of the resorts are very quiet after October as a lot of the Bars and shops close and you can get some reasonably priced lets.
    Most of the Brits I know out there live in the area from Palma Nova ,Portal Nous and along the coast to Palma .
    I love Palma Nova but after spending 3 months there Jan to March I decided not to live there.
  • Options

I was thinking of moving out there about 10 years ago and a Bar owner gave me some really good advice. He said rent an apartment out here in the winter for 3 or more months and see if you like it . A lot of of the resorts are very quiet after October as a lot of the Bars and shops close and you can get some reasonably priced lets.
    Most of the Brits I know out there live in the area from Palma Nova ,Portal Nous and along the coast to Palma .
    I love Palma Nova but after spending 3 months there Jan to March I decided not to live there.
    Star, did you go somewhere else in Spain?
  • Options
    Not a great lover of mainland Spain although if I moved there it would probably be to Malaga or Sitges on the Costa Del Sol
  • Options

If you're looking at living in Spain, I can recommend Javea (or Xabia as seen on some maps).
    Smack bang between Alicante and Valencia so can fly in to either then its a 50-60min drive.

We're hoping to buy a villa there once we know what is going on with Brexit.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

If you're looking at living in Spain, I can recommend Javea (or Xabia as seen on some maps).
    Smack bang between Alicante and Valencia so can fly in to either then its a 50-60min drive.

We're hoping to buy a villa there once we know what is going on with Brexit.
    Likewise - all depends on Brexit.

We're looking along the coast between Marbella and Gibraltar - maybe Estepona/Sotogrande area although I quite like Alcadeisa (very good golf).
  • Options
    Done Paguera this year down on the South West Coast.

Known as little Germany, but don't let that put you off, at least no pissed up fighting Brits.

Amazing place looking to go back next year