Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do we compare to the 74/75 squad?

Every other third-tier promotion-winning squad in living memory has been wrung through the "CL Compare-o-meter", so I thought I would have a go at this one!

Keepers

2016/17
Declan Rudd
Dillon Phillips

1974/75
Graham Tutt
John Dunn
Mike Franklin

For me, Graham Tutt was exceptional and could have gone on to have a briliant career, had it not been tragically cut short by a violently over-enthusiastic Tom Finney.

Full backs
2016/17
Chris Solly
Morgan Fox
Adam Chickson
Kevin Foley

1974/75
Bob Curtis
Phil Warman
Mark Penfold
Harry Cripps
Ray Tumbridge

I was a big fan of Mark Penfold - another whose career was shortened thanks to the more "robust" challenges acceptable in those days. But the 16/17 full-backs are better.

Central defenders
2016/17
Jason Pearce
Jorge Teixeira
Patrick Bauer
Ezri Konsa
Harry Lennon
Roger Johnson

1974/75
David Young
Bob Goldthorpe

The 74/75 central defensive pair at the start and end of the season was David Young and A-R-T-H-U-R Horsfield (Superstar), with Bob Goldthorpe or Bob Curtis taking Horsfield's place during the middle chunk of the season when he played up front. The 74/75 centre backs were far more proficient at kicking lumps out of opposing forwards. But the 2016/17 CBs are streets ahead in footballing terms.

Central Midfield

2016/17
Andrew Crofts
Johnnie Jackson
Fredrik Ulvestad
Ahmed Kashi
El-Hadji Ba
Oliver Muldoon

1974/75
Peter Hunt
Richie Bowman
Eamon Dunphy
Mike Kelly

The 1974/75 central midfielders were not game-changers, stylish attackig wizards or exceptional crowd pleasers, but that would probably have just been luxury for a mid-70s division three midfield. Instead they were ball winners and able to switch the ball from defence into attack - usually down the flanks - quickly and efficiently. The current crop are clearly more gifted, but there remains questions as to their fitness and ability to last enough games. However, despite its obvious gaps, I think this season's central midfielders, over-all, have the edge.

Wide midfielders
2016/17
Ricky Holmes
Ademola Lookman
Jordan Botaka

1974/75
Colin Powell
Keith Peacock

Hardly a contest here. Colin Powell woud get in the current team, easily. And he's getting on a bit.

Strikers
2016/17
Nicky Ajose
Josh Maginnis
Lee Novak
Karlan Ahearne-Grant
Brandon Hanlan
Josh Umerah

1974/75
Derek Hales
Arthur Horsfield
Mike Flanagan

The current strikers are an mix of new signings, keen to impress; and youngsters finding their feet and determined to break into - and stay in - the first team. This is a mouth-watering, exciting, potential-filled group of attackers. On the other hand... Derek Hales.

Interesting note - we had a much smaller squad in 74/75 (we only used 21 players all season). In part this was due to far fewer substitutions: byt the end of October, we had played 17 matches and made only seven substitutions!

Comments

• It may be just me but who the hell cares, football in 75 was a different world.
  • It is very hard to compare football from over 40 years ago to today, I went to a lot of those games home and away that season 74/75 and loved it, Killer was worth watching without the rest and they were good, that team played as a team which you really got behind, Flash was a very good player, Bob Curtis gave everything every game and Arthur was an excellent header of the ball
  • 74/75 wins. However, they couldn't live in the modern game. Wouldn't be fit or strong enough.
  • edited September 2016
    Chizz said:

Halix said:

It may be just me but who the hell cares, football in 75 was a different world.

No, I don't think you're the only one who doesn't care about the history of the club. I can think of one woman.
    The history of the club I do care for, making comparisons of two teams 40 years apart is pretty meaningless. My favorite player was Killer, doubt he would ever stay on the pitch now, his game would be out of synch with what is required.
  • Halix said:

GRAHAM TUTT CARES!!!
  • edited September 2016

It can be fun to compare, but realistically the game has changed so much any comparison is pretty meaningless.
    I'm sure that the 74/75 team would be blowing out their arse after 20 minutes of modern game (and probably be desperate to get to the pub).
    That said the 74/75 team is still remembered with affection by those that are still around, because they were enterprising, skillful and wonderfully entertaining on their day.
    We remember each and every one of them and all their abilities and shortcomings.

Dare I say nobody will remember many of this lot forty years later.

People will still be posting that Jacksons legs have gone and its time for him to quit.
  • Halix said:

Chizz said:

Halix said:

No, I don't think you're the only one who doesn't care about the history of the club. I can think of one woman.
    The history of the club I do care for, making comparisons of two teams 40 years apart is pretty meaningless. My favorite player was Killer, doubt he would ever stay on the pitch now, his game would be out of synch with what is required.
    It was meant as a bit of fun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz you are so right.FFS no point in having a forum if you can't express your opinion.For what's it's worth the game is so different today and you can't compare - but I hardly missed a game in 74/5 and was one of my favourite seasons of CAFC and Hales,Flanagan Powell will take some beating.Killer was and is a legend and for those of us who remember them days they don't come much better.
  • At 76 my memory is fading but I remember all those players well, bar one, despite the fact that I had moved away from the area and saw fewer games.

The exception is Mike Kelly. I have no memory of him at all. I see from Wiki that he played 10 games for us and 18 for Millwall previously. There is at least one season's gap after his time with us before he re-appears in non-league football. So I am guessing his League career was ended by injury at the young age of 21?
  • At 76 my memory is fading but I remember all those players well, bar one, despite the fact that I had moved away from the area and saw fewer games.

The exception is Mike Kelly. I have no memory of him at all. I see from Wiki that he played 10 games for us and 18 for Millwall previously. There is at least one season's gap after his time with us before he re-appears in non-league football. So I am guessing his League career was ended by injury at the young age of 21?

He had a few problems off the field,including a stabbing incident [i think]in his short period at the club.
  • clive said:

He had a few problems off the field,including a stabbing incident [i think]in his short period at the club.

That would be his Millwall training, I suppose.
  • Loved that 74/75 team. I was watching a doco the other day about German football and realised just how similar Killers style of play was to Gerd Muller, both were pure goal machines, always managing to get their foot in first before the defender to tuck the ball away. Blistering pace over 6 yards and an ability to turn on a sixpence. As for Colin Powell, I haven't seen a winger since who could so consistently beat their fullback and leave them sitting on their backside looking silly. He even did it to Ian Gillard who was the England left back at the time.
  • As for Colin Powell, I haven't seen a winger since who could so consistently beat their fullback and leave them sitting on their backside looking silly. He even did it to Ian Gillard who was the England left back at the time.

I remember Colin Powell running rings round Ian Gillard - one of the greatest performances in a Charlton shirt.
  • Whenever Paddy Powell got on the ball there was a roar of expectation from the fans. He didn't disappoint too often.
  • The strength of that team was its attacking prowess, with Powell and Hales outstanding - no one who was there will forget Killer's two late goals against Preston in the last game of the season to clinch promotion. Mike Flanagan was continuing his ascent, although he really came into his own after Hales' departure when he moved to centre forward. Ritchie Bowman did really well for us in midfield and it was David Young - a great signing by Nelson for £20,000 from Sunderland - who held us together at the back.

The team could really score goals, as they subsequently proved in the Second Division. They weren't so good at keeping them out but they provided some great entertainment and memories, particularly of some high-scoring games at the Valley under the lights.
  • masicat said:

74/75 wins. However, they couldn't live in the modern game. Wouldn't be fit or strong enough.

Well I agree that you couldn't just lift them out of the past and drop them into the present day and expect them to be as physically fit or as strong as the current athletes that footballers have become.

I wonder how many of that 74/75 squad enjoyed a fag and a pint or five ? I doubt there is any comparison with the current crop.

In terms of training, sports science and medical care the 16/17 players are far better served.

What I will say though is that had that 74/75 group been around at their peak at this time then in terms of ability, skill, application and commitment they would very much hold their own.

• Why was Collin Powell called "Paddy" ?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Why was Collin Powell called "Paddy" ?

That's made me think ... I actually don't know
  • I was abroad for most of that period and only saw a game or two .. but as has already been written the 74/75 squad was packed with terrific attackers and tough defenders, some of the most loyal and successful players in (comparatively) recent(ish) CAFC history .. I won't even attempt to compare 74/5 with the present playing personnel
  • se9addick said:

Why was Collin Powell called "Paddy" ?

I thought it might be after the bookmakers Paddy Power, but I just went on google and they weren't formed till 1988, so I am not sure
  • I reckon the 74/75 squad would dick the current squad.

They may be getting on a bit but I think their superior experience will see them the better team.