Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are we stronger now then the 2009/10 team that finished 4th?

edited September 2016 in General Charlton
The Leyton Orient friendly was the low-point, barely managed to scrape 11 players for it and the bench looked like a creche. That squad looked lower mid-table at best.

Since the end of July we have let a few more go, but brought in a good few too. Keeping Lookman is huge, and it feels like getting a new signing. We even had the guts to rebuff the massives after Fox. Quite a turnaround from letting players go for some world cup stickers and a bag of crisps in the RD era.

How are we looking now? If we keep everyone fit, I think we should challenge for promotion with what we have right now. We arent injury proof though, and we need a couple more to cope with that should an injury crisis happen again.

We have also got some good players who will return from injury over the course of the season.

Are we stronger then the 2009/10 team that finished 4th?

Comments

• edited September 2016
    I like to think that our Squad is better than the one from that season...

Yet isnt quite as good as the one that won the League

At the same time though I also think that the League this season is the "easiest" one we've been in, in terms of the opposition, i.e. there is no Norwich / Southampton etc. no Rhodes at Huddersfield or really strong rivals like Sheffield United (they're a lot weaker I think now) or Sheffield Wednesday
  • I like to think that our Squad is better than the one from that season...

At the same time though I also think that the League this season is the "easiest" one we've been in, in terms of the opposition, i.e. there is no Norwich / Southampton etc. no Rhodes at Huddersfield or really strong rivals like Sheffield United (they're a lot weaker I think now) or Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield Utd will come good.
  • Parky overachieved with the 2009/10 squad although there were some standout players in the side, namely Bailey whose career was spiralling upwards with us. Frazer Richardson was also a top player.

Our current side isn't as strong as Powell's class of 11/12 but Holmes and Lookman would walk into that side.

• I think this squad is similar in overall strength to the 2009/10 squad, but the other teams are weaker
  • I like to think that our Squad is better than the one from that season...

Agree that League One is not as strong as 2009/10. The Sheffield clubs were not there that season, but Leeds and Brighton were along with the others you mention.
  • I don't think the squad is as good as 2011/12 but I do think it's stronger than 2009/10

I also think the league this season is the weakest it's been in all the years we've been in it. No Southampton, Norwich, Leeds, Sheff Weds, Brighton, Huddersfield while Sheff Utd seem to have self destructed.

It looks like the strongest teams are ourselves, Bolton, MK Dons and Millwall and would say there's 2 top six spots on offer to anyone who gets lucky or puts a decent run together. I put it down really to just being the best of a bad bunch but if it gets us up i'll bite your hand off for it. I can't see the others maintaining early season form. I genuinely thought we might come unstuck at Walsall and in the end it was easy to see the difference in the teams.
  • Parky overachieved with the 2009/10 squad although there were some standout players in the side, namely Bailey whose career was spiralling upwards with us. Frazer Richardson was also a top player.

Our current side isn't as strong as Powell's class of 11/12 but Holmes and Lookman would walk into that side.

Maybe Holmes, but Lookman was only 13 in 2011. ;-)

• I don't think the squad is as good as 2011/12 but I do think it's stronger than 2009/10

I also think the league this season is the weakest it's been in all the years we've been in it. No Southampton, Norwich, Leeds, Sheff Weds, Brighton, Huddersfield while Sheff Utd seem to have self destructed.

It looks like the strongest teams are ourselves, Bolton, MK Dons and Millwall and would say there's 2 top six spots on offer to anyone who gets lucky or puts a decent run together. I put it down really to just being the best of a bad bunch but if it gets us up i'll bite your hand off for it. I can't see the others maintaining early season form. I genuinely thought we might come unstuck at Walsall and in the end it was easy to see the difference in the teams.

Consistency is key in this Division... If you can get a good run together then you've a good chance of going up.

Yes you can say that consistency is key in any Division but look at the Championship and how mad it is with anyone having the ability to beat anyone, you can get a good run together in the Championship and it means nothing
  • A bit early to say. We are certainly weaker in midfield but stronger at the back and have more options up front than the 2009/10 squad.
  • Sponsored links:

Maybe Holmes, but Lookman was only 13 in 2011. ;-)

would still have had him over Clarke, or even at CB instead of Doherty!
  • I'd forgotten about Doherty. Seriously I'd take any of our current CBs over him - apart from Roger f**king Johnson, obviously.
  • Johnson actually looked decent against saints.
  • I think your right we are stronger in defence and attack but weaker in midfield. That midfield was really strong. Shelvey, bailey, seeds, racon, Sam. Really really good MF. Goals and creativity every apart from Jose.
  • Could Lapslie be what we need in terms of box to box. Think he's been injured so he night force his way into the reckoning. We also have the classy kashi to come in. But we need that creative spark. Or can we do it with two holding players and lookman or Holmes crating from wide or in the number 10 role. I reckon a fit Jacko can create and undoubtedly be a goal threat too.
  • So....

How about a midfield and attack of

Kashi/crofts Jackson

Holmes Novak lookman

Ajose
  • Tend to agree that the squad looks stronger "on paper", although not so strong in mid-field. Thing that may not be quite so strong is team spirit/camaraderie. There are quite a few new faces in the side - that have only just joined - and missed pre-season. There is probably a lack of bonding and not much of a feeling of "we're all in this together" - they don't really know each other that well. Team spirit was stronger last time around. Just a feeling.
  • Bailey was the star player from that 2009/10 team, one of the few decent signings Pardew made for us.

Deon Burton had a very good season for us up front, he was a great target man but we desperately needed a decent foil for him, going through various cheap and loan options Mooney, Akpo, Dickson, Forster. If we had been able to sign BWP a year earlier, we possibly may have gone up.
  • edited September 2016
    No, the 2009 side was stronger. We had a pretty settled 11, which is usually the sign of a side that has quality in it. Would have probably gone up without too many issues that year had we not been competing with sides like Norwich and Leeds.

And the 2011/12 side would absolutely tear our current one apart.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd forgotten about Doherty. Seriously I'd take any of our current CBs over him - apart from Roger f**king Johnson, obviously.

Doherty gave me hope that, despite being 24 at the time and having no footballing pedigree, I too could become a professional footballer.

That said, my face is far too pretty to be sticking it into every challenge. He did not have such an issue.
  • edited September 2016
    Parky's 2009 side started the season with 6 straight wins.
    The nucleus of the relegated team had stayed together and it showed.

Powell's 2011 side made a very decent start also, right up with the pacesetters all through the first half a dozen games.
    Almost a total clearout and a more or less completely rebuilt team.

Slade's 2016 squad .... impossible to tell at this stage.

This time, the club knew they were relegated early in April and Meire and Duchatelet didn't have the nous to put a plan in place to get an early start on the team rebuilding.
    Where was Meire at this time? Oh yes, on holiday in Dubai.

Not even a manager appointed before 6th June; chaos behind the scenes with very few essential backroom staff; many players desperate to leave and not even told when to report back to training.
    The squad went on tour to Austria - many of those players are now not even at the club. What was the point of that?

Even by the first League match of the season, we had fielded a hastily cobbled together side and a bench of raw inexperienced youngsters.
    And it showed in the performance and the result.

On the other hand back back in 2011, Chris Powell and The Spivs had sat round the table and decided on a plan together in the March, putting it into practice behind the scenes almost straight away.
    Most of the new signings were made early in the preseason and the group went on tour with most pieces of the puzzle completed.

The benefits of having the nucleus of the squad spending time and bonding together during the preseason is blindingly obvious.
    But it's equally obvious the squad is having to do it's bonding now instead of pre-season.

We've got some decent players and the potential to be one of the strongest teams in the division this season.
    But it will be galling if we miss out on promotion by a couple of points - because the club were not ready when the season commenced.

• Bailey was the star player from that 2009/10 team, one of the few decent signings Pardew made for us.

Deon Burton had a very good season for us up front, he was a great target man but we desperately needed a decent foil for him, going through various cheap and loan options Mooney, Akpo, Dickson, Forster. If we had been able to sign BWP a year earlier, we possibly may have gone up.

Possibly may have? We only missed out by 2 points! If we'd have had a 20+ goals a season striker, it would have been a near certainty.

Crazy to think of the other strikers in the top 6 that year:
    Holt
    Beckford
    Morison
    Austin/Paynter
    Rhodes
    ...and Deon Burton.