Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lowest crowd in Checkatrade trophy this week

124»

Comments

• Options

cafc999 said:

I see that young up and coming prospect Peter Crouch started for Stoke last night.

Good to see the youth given a chance

edit - just seen this posted earlier - sorry

But it's ok for Charlton to play Tex?
    Sorry people need to get over this now, Charlton are out and they have royally messed this up. The main point is Charlton were crap in a tournament that they should have either taken seriously in the sense play the first team. Or copy the U21 sides invited. For example no one has mentioned Slades bizarre decision to leave Lapslie on the bench in a game that would have been perfect for him to try his luck. A lot of the points around the format are 100% valid but I can't help thinking if we had taken this seriously opinions would not be so negative.
    We have to play a certain amount of first team players, whereas Stoke are entering an under 23 side. I think you should look further into this competition to understand why the majority have the opinion they do about it.
    I'm more than aware what the competition is. Luton I believe made 10 changes to their line up. So why didn't Charlton? Instead we played a player on loan in the middle who is quite frankly average at best. When sitting on the bench are home grown players who need a chance in the first team. This is what this should be about if you don't want to play your strongest side.

I have posted on here about premier league sides academies and the fact is if you think it's meant to be about developing premier leagues English youth your even more deluded. If that was the case why are the likes of Arsenal signing players from Poland at youth level? Do we not have players of similar elk in the UK? That's the biggest issue, not the competition. Maybe the league need to insist for the u23 sides it's UK registered players only!?
    Ask a player at any of the lower leagues and they would bite your hand off to play at Wembley. It's the deluded fans that are the snobs.
    Luton got fined for doing that.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

I see that young up and coming prospect Peter Crouch started for Stoke last night.

Sorry people need to get over this now, Charlton are out and they have royally messed this up. The main point is Charlton were crap in a tournament that they should have either taken seriously in the sense play the first team. Or copy the U21 sides invited. For example no one has mentioned Slades bizarre decision to leave Lapslie on the bench in a game that would have been perfect for him to try his luck. A lot of the points around the format are 100% valid but I can't help thinking if we had taken this seriously opinions would not be so negative.
    We have to play a certain amount of first team players, whereas Stoke are entering an under 23 side. I think you should look further into this competition to understand why the majority have the opinion they do about it.
    I'm more than aware what the competition is. Luton I believe made 10 changes to their line up. So why didn't Charlton? Instead we played a player on loan in the middle who is quite frankly average at best. When sitting on the bench are home grown players who need a chance in the first team. This is what this should be about if you don't want to play your strongest side.

I have posted on here about premier league sides academies and the fact is if you think it's meant to be about developing premier leagues English youth your even more deluded. If that was the case why are the likes of Arsenal signing players from Poland at youth level? Do we not have players of similar elk in the UK? That's the biggest issue, not the competition. Maybe the league need to insist for the u23 sides it's UK registered players only!?
    Ask a player at any of the lower leagues and they would bite your hand off to play at Wembley. It's the deluded fans that are the snobs.
    Yes and they won yesterday and sit nicely in 5th, with a top coach leading them. Charlton lost 3-0 yesterday, if priority is to get out of this league maybe it would have better to rest players or do what I said make a decision that we want to win it or if not just play our up and coming u21's? If you do neither their is no momentum or continuity.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

Yes and they won yesterday and sit nicely in 5th, with a top coach leading them. Charlton lost 3-0 yesterday, if priority is to get out of this league maybe it would have better to rest players or do what I said make a decision that we want to win it or if not just play our up and coming u21's? If you do neither their is no momentum or continuity.
    So, you think it's a good competition, because we should break the rules, by playing our up and coming U21's instead of the required amount of first teamers & then get fined ?
  • Options

cafc999 said:

So, you think it's a good competition, because we should break the rules, by playing our up and coming U21's instead of the required amount of first teamers & then get fined ?
    Have a day off will you - 'ooooh we might get fined, I'm going to the tell the teacher' Grow some.
    If you had not noticed - Apparently we have a top six budget and aspirations to get out of this league.
    For the record I said Charlton management need to make a choice. For the record I said their is absolutely nothing wrong with competition either.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

Have a day off will you - 'ooooh we might get fined, I'm going to the tell the teacher' Grow some.
    If you had not noticed - Apparently we have a top six budget and aspirations to get out of this league.
    For the record I said Charlton management need to make a choice. For the record I said their is absolutely nothing wrong with competition either.
    Well maybe you're right and the vast majority are wrong. The vast majority think the competition in its' present format is ridiculous.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

These ones are pretty similar.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

cafc999 said:

Well maybe you're right and the vast majority are wrong. The vast majority think the competition in its' present format is ridiculous.
    If the only person defending the competition is doing so by saying "break the rules", then it's clear the competition is broken.

If you need to break the rules to give it some meaning or value, then surely the competition in its current form is void of both value and meaning?
  • Options
    Sorry but all I read on here is after the event, 'its a shit competition...........its not fair........they have bigger players than us...........I forgot my homework..........its broken.......... we are better than this.... we are still premier league....blah blah blah

A group stage that the winner and runner up go through.... how outrageous! Who came up with this concept!!?
    North and south groups to help with travel - how shocking
    Let's put the U21's in the this - how dare they, do they know we are Charlton? We were in the premier league you know.......

Charlton could not beat Colchester or Crawley and had to rely on a penalty shoot out to see off Southampton U21's.
    So on the basis/majority of the posts here, what a great story.......... instead I would be asking why and how.....
    My point remains Charlton have royally cocked this up and for some reason everyone on here is blaming the competition rather than the fact we are out.
    Its laughable people think its the competitions fault , you either play to win or you play to develop.
    Charlton have done neither and are out and no one on here is asking why. instead there is this constant drivel about attendance or the format of the competition, which has been around for years...albeit in different formats.
    No one hear is questioning this against the game on Saturday..... Apparently everyone is saying we are now mid table. Perhaps if they had planned this better it would not have been 3-0 on Saturday??
    We had a chance to create winning momentum or use as development plan, we did nether and still people blame the competition
    Its laughable and almost childish.

Barnsley last year won this and were promoted - enough said.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Who came up with this concept!?

Was it you Mr Checkatrade ? :wink: