Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Southampton U23s | Tue 30 Aug | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options

Anyone else find it almost humiliating that we are forced into playing our first team (well a majority or half+ of it), in an official Cup, however bad, against a Southamptons youth side.

I know Southampton are leagues above us now, but it's a bit degrading.

Southampton U23 played just Sunday and lost 3-0 up at Sunderland, same squad so will be tired.

There will be managers cursing tonight as key first team players get injured, after being forced to play in a meaningless cup tie in front of 230 spectators
  • Options
    10-0. Or 0-10. Literally nobody cares
  • Options

Anyone else find it almost humiliating that we are forced into playing our first team (well a majority or half+ of it), in an official Cup, however bad, against a Southamptons youth side.

I know Southampton are leagues above us now, but it's a bit degrading.

Southampton U23 played just Sunday and lost 3-0 up at Sunderland, same squad so will be tired.

There will be managers cursing tonight as key first team players get injured, after being forced to play in a meaningless cup tie in front of 230 spectators
    Completely. Like chucking an awkward friendly in during the heavy part of the season and forcing you to play regulars, could be some odd results as some teams will be giving 60-70% and the U23 (well half will be under the age of 21) will be going at 100% to try impress.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Given we have two who played on Saturday away on international duty, surely we should get a waiver from the five players rule. Given we have 10 days off after this, I'd go:
    Phillips
    Konsa(1)....Bauer(2)....Lennon....Chicksen
    RCC......Crofts(3)....Foley(4)........KAG
    ............Ajose(5).......Hanlan

Subs: Mitov, Johnson, Thomas, Aribo, Muldoon, Lapslie, Umerah

I know a couple on the bench played yesterday but I'd really like to see Aribo and Lapslie around the first team. Also, I'd start Foley only because I don't really care if he gets tired (SorryNotThatSorry). Otherwise I'd start Muldoon.
  • Options
    Also, @ForeverAddickted let me give you a huge amount of credit for creating this match preview with all the gusto of a normal match preview despite the fact that, it seems all around, zero fucks are given.
  • Options
    Atleast its a game for Bauer and Chicksen to build there fittness; an Ajose goal or two will also boost his confidence :)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Also, @ForeverAddickted let me give you a huge amount of credit for creating this match preview with all the gusto of a normal match preview despite the fact that, it seems all around, zero fucks are given.

Well I knew people would want to know where the Match Preview was even if no fucks were given.

Even I dont give any over this match ;) ... Only thing I've enjoyed is covering an Opposition we dont usually face lol!
  • Options
    Johnson will probably play. Won't be anybody there to give him abuse although I think I might.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

You have got to play five first teamers that started Saturday's game, I believe. I would play, Foley, Fox, Konsa, Croft and Ajose. I would also play Phillips, Johnson, Charles- Cook, Muldoon, Hanlon, Ahearne- Grant. What a waste of time this game is.

Elsewhere I saw this about the rules
    here are two types of clubs involved - League One and Two clubs, who must play at least five players who either played in their last fixture or who will play in their next fixture, and then ‘Invited’ clubs with Category One Academies.

There are 16 of these, including Everton, Chelsea and West Ham, and they must select six players who are Under-21 on June 30.

According to Football League Chief Executive Shaun Harvey, the remaining five players will come “from what they would deem their full-strength side” - but we’re pretty certain we’re not going to be seeing five players who faced Stoke on Saturday, playing at the Macron Stadium.
    So bizarrely we could include as our 5 first team players, someone who will play in the next fixture! In 11 days time...

When they say 'played' in the last fixture does that include off the bench?

If so Bauer and Hanlon can be 2 of the 5 surely?

Ajose, Konsa and Foley can be the other 3.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-15
  • Options
    whos actually going to this?

and why?
  • Options
    Hmmmmm !
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

You have got to play five first teamers that started Saturday's game, I believe. I would play, Foley, Fox, Konsa, Croft and Ajose. I would also play Phillips, Johnson, Charles- Cook, Muldoon, Hanlon, Ahearne- Grant. What a waste of time this game is.

here are two types of clubs involved - League One and Two clubs, who must play at least five players who either played in their last fixture or who will play in their next fixture, and then ‘Invited’ clubs with Category One Academies.

There are 16 of these, including Everton, Chelsea and West Ham, and they must select six players who are Under-21 on June 30.

According to Football League Chief Executive Shaun Harvey, the remaining five players will come “from what they would deem their full-strength side” - but we’re pretty certain we’re not going to be seeing five players who faced Stoke on Saturday, playing at the Macron Stadium.
    So bizarrely we could include as our 5 first team players, someone who will play in the next fixture! In 11 days time...

Nope it has to be 5 people from the starting lineup
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

Yeah I thought that as well, although they could play in our NEXT match, which is why I put Bauer in my projected team. The whole thing is genuinely bizarre. If you have to find ways to force teams to take a competition seriously, then you've already failed.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

Yeah I thought that as well, although they could play in our NEXT match, which is why I put Bauer in my projected team. The whole thing is genuinely bizarre. If you have to find ways to force teams to take a competition seriously, then you've already failed.

And forcing the to take seriously a competition you have already ruined by putting B teams in it? Everything in modern day football is about making the big clubs bigger, fuck the little clubs. Most of my non charlton supporting mates couldn't name 5 teams in league one... This is what sky has done to football, but hey at least it means balotelli can pick up 150K a week.
  • Options
    If Fox plays tonight, surely he cannot be sold tomorrow, yes, I suppose he can
  • Options
    edited August 2016

SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

And forcing the to take seriously a competition you have already ruined by putting B teams in it? Everything in modern day football is about making the big clubs bigger, fuck the little clubs. Most of my non charlton supporting mates couldn't name 5 teams in league one... This is what sky has done to football, but hey at least it means balotelli can pick up 150K a week.

Yeah the Sky/Premier League thing really is a deal with the devil. I do think there are some real upsides to it. I think the quality of the game played, the coaching, and the development of young players has really improved with the influx of cash. That said, the rich have gotten richer, the trickle down effect has been limited, and the concept of the national game has been sacrificed to the TV gods, and therefore any progress made is done so in a piecemeal and uneven fashion.

As far as putting reserve sides in it, I would mind that less if they'd actually gotten the teams with good reserve sides, like City, United, Arsenal, and Chelsea. I don't know if you saw the Chelsea vs. City in the FA cup last year but City had some very tidy looking youngsters and i wouldn't mind seeing us putting out a team mixed with youth and experience up against them. But like everything, even the execution of something they thought they were doing for the "good" of the bigger teams got cocked up.

• Options
    You need your head checking if you're going to this tonight.
  • Options

0-15

It's good, our serve so I'm sure we'll hold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 19m19 minutes ago
    CHARLTON | Phillips, Konsa, Johnson, Lennon, Fox, Solly, Crofts, Foley, Hanlan, Ajose, Ahearne-Grant. #cafc

Cheers Colin.
  • Options

ross1 said:

CHARLTON | Phillips, Konsa, Johnson, Lennon, Fox, Solly, Crofts, Foley, Hanlan, Ajose, Ahearne-Grant. #cafc

Cheers Colin.
    So I did not realise somebody had opened a match day thread and put the teams on, it seems the more you try to help with information, the more sarcastic people become, from now on I shall just read and not post
  • Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

Cheers Colin.
    So I did not realise somebody had opened a match day thread and put the teams on, it seems the more you try to help with information, the more sarcastic people become, from now on I shall just read and not post
    There's always one. Just ignore.

That said 'Thanks Colin' is a bit of a CL running gag so I wouldn't take it too seriously.
  • Options
    Come on Brussel you've complied with the rules by starting Solly, Crofts and Fox. Now think of the bigger picture and get them off before they are injured / carded.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Come on Brussel you've complied with the rules by starting Solly, Crofts and Fox. Now think of the bigger picture and get them off before they are injured / carded.

Didn't millwall do something similar last year in the cup (Johnsons paints or something?) brought off 3 first teamers after 10 minutes ?
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Goole vs Bamber Bridge has more appeal then this.

It really isn't.
    you sure?