Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another brainwave from the EFL bosses.

2»

Comments

• Options

Can't see it happening simply because the English clubs won't vote to let them in. Their inclusion is of absolutely no benefit to English football.

Both clubs could average circa 70k in the premiership and away support that will lead to ooharh's death.

There is a big benefit to having them here especially the lower league that they would start in. Will never happen of course, celtic v Chelsea anyone?
    What's the benefit then?

Each lower league club would get 2 big home crowds for 1 season. Great.
    Well yes that would be great for them, better than drawing a big club at home in the cup where they only get half the gate receipt.
  • Options

Can't see it happening simply because the English clubs won't vote to let them in. Their inclusion is of absolutely no benefit to English football.

Both clubs could average circa 70k in the premiership and away support that will lead to ooharh's death.

There is a big benefit to having them here especially the lower league that they would start in. Will never happen of course, celtic v Chelsea anyone?
    What's the benefit then?

And they'll find it much harder to be promoted and more likely to end up in midtable, so their crowds will be lower for all their other matches.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    IA said:

What's the benefit then?

And they'll find it much harder to be promoted and more likely to end up in midtable, so their crowds will be lower for all their other matches.
    Because of their fan base, merchandising and sponsorship potential I'm fairly sure that both Celtic and Rangers would be able to easily compete financially with any EFL club apart from those receiving the ludicrous parachute payments. Quite why you would think they would struggle to gain promotions is beyond me.

• Options

IA said:

What's the benefit then?

Because of their fan base, merchandising and sponsorship potential I'm fairly sure that both Celtic and Rangers would be able to easily compete financially with any EFL club apart from those receiving the ludicrous parachute payments. Quite why you would think they would struggle to gain promotions is beyond me.

I think he means the lower league clubs.
  • Options
    Heard this so many times!!!

Anyone who doesn't think they would be two of the biggest clubs in the Country and challenging at the top within a decade (if that) is mad! And their fans would love it, imagine getting 92 new grounds to do.

Nightmare for OB (although extra revenue and overtime, so may not be an obstacle) but ultimately other clubs won't vote them in, so it won't happen and despite being a Rangers man, I hope neither of them ever play in the English league. The only way could be a revised league cup involving clubs from both Countries.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options

Played each other in pre-season a few years back! Celtic (unusually, but not surprisingly) hid all day, as Chelsea turned out in numbers, dishing out the expected welcome to any Celtic silly enough to advertise themselves.

Sure the first fixture for every club against them would be lively the first time round, but would then steadily be sanitised like most football these days
  • Options
    said it before, but if i never again have to hear of shit scottish football as a result of brexit then at least there's one positive
  • Options

Seems unfair that British based companies are unable to compete on a level playing field with other British companies.

In the same way that an English club can play in the Scottish leagues, so should Scottish clubs be allowed to play in the English & Welsh Leagues. In addition, should teams based in Northern Ireland wish to join, they should be allowed to do so.

Scottish sides have competed in the FA cup successfully. Indeed a Scottish side has played in the FA cup within the last fifteen years.

To deny Scottish sides from joining the English Leagues seems unfair from both a business and sporting perspective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Always makes me laugh how some people think that the Old Bigots Firm would be competitive in the upper reaches of the Premier League. They'd have to get up there first ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36624493

There is no doubt that teams in League Two could play in the Scottish Premiership. No question about it.

The teams that are in and around the top three or four could easily play in the top flight in Scotland. There's a very good quality.

Effectively what Adams is saying is that the SPL is fourth division standard with a couple of better teams. Take away the prospect of Champions League football for a few years whilst Celtic and Rangers were languishing at the arse-end of English football and their better players would bugger off leaving the clubs even more mediocre than they already are.

Instead of flying through the leagues the Glasgow giants are more likely to be farted out down to matches against Welling and Dartford.
  • Options

Always makes me laugh how some people think that the Old Bigots Firm would be competitive in the upper reaches of the Premier League. They'd have to get up there first ...

There is no doubt that teams in League Two could play in the Scottish Premiership. No question about it.

The teams that are in and around the top three or four could easily play in the top flight in Scotland. There's a very good quality.

Effectively what Adams is saying is that the SPL is fourth division standard with a couple of better teams. Take away the prospect of Champions League football for a few years whilst Celtic and Rangers were languishing at the arse-end of English football and their better players would bugger off leaving the clubs even more mediocre than they already are.

Instead of flying through the leagues the Glasgow giants are more likely to be farted out down to matches against Welling and Dartford.
    Nothing like letting your prejudices get in the way of logic.

• Options
    Rangers and Celtic are just as big, and in some ways bigger than a club like say Everton - who are seen as a major Premier League club.

If they joined the English league then I can't see why they wouldn't go on to be clubs with stature like Everton, Newcastle etc. They probably wouldnt become title challengers but I don't think that is entirely the point.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited August 2016

IA said:

What's the benefit then?

What??

I was referring to the lower league clubs who are supposed to be delighted about getting two big gates for one season ever.

But yeah, Celtic and Rangers might become big clubs, say of the stature of Newcastle or Aston Villa... If they want to do better, they would have to abandon the bigotry.
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

What's the benefit then?

What??

I was referring to the lower league clubs who are supposed to be delighted about getting two big gates for one season ever.

But yeah, Celtic and Rangers might become big clubs, say of the stature of Newcastle or Aston Villa... If they want to do better, they would have to abandon the bigotry.
    Not sure why bigotry would particularly hold them back.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    There's no doubt that the Scottish clubs would love to have access to the Premier League cash. No doubt.

And there's clearly some in the Premier League that would welcome them, probably at the expense of "small clubs who shouldn't be there", such as Bournemouth (or us).

However, I doubt that there would be much appetite for them starting at the bottom of the pyramid and working their way up.

Therefore in order for it "work" I think they would have to be parachuted in, either directly to the Premier or to the Championship.

It might not sound that likely, but football sold its soul many moons ago so the only thing that really matters to the decision makers is whether there is enough money to be made in it for all concerned.

• Options
    Spot on D.
  • Options
    I would imagine that the other Scottish teams might have something to say about this should it ever get close to reality.
    A few years back the big two wanted more TV money, basically like Barcelona and Real Madrid's deal. The other teams all threatened to resign from the league leaving Celtic and Rangers to play each other.
    Something like that would probably happen again. To come into our leagues would take a while to thrash out giving time to the other teams to put up obstacles like " you wont be playing anyone next season".
    If those two ever get into our system I have no doubt they would be very successful, they are huge by any measure and would surly get financial backing from any number of backers from around the world. It would only be a matter of a few years climbing the ladder. There would be many who may like the idea, for example; Sky, BT, BBC, ITV, Celtic and Rangers. Maybe some Premier clubs who see themselves as fixtures and fittings of the top table,(delusional), but not able to win the league would like the idea of a sell-out stadium twice a year.
    As others have said footballs soul was sold long ago.
  • Options
    Of course it's not all about money.

I think we're also forgetting the positive effect this would have on England's declining church going population, on both sides of the Catholic/Anglican divide. I imagine that hoards of devout traveling fans would also be staying over at away grounds to take in a Sunday morning church service!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Why would the Glasgow clubs choose to drop four levels with no guarantee that they will climb through the English system?

You would expect them to, of course. But how long will it take? Five years? Ten? Fifteen? How much Champions League cash would they miss out on per season?

Then tell me it makes sense for them to join the English league system.

It still makes sense for them to join, from their perspective. They'll be thinking big picture.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Of course it's not all about money.

I think we're also forgetting the positive effect this would have on England's declining church going population, on both sides of the Catholic/Anglican divide. I imagine that hoards of devout traveling fans would also be staying over at away grounds to take in a Sunday morning church service!

Are Rangers fans Anglican?

I would have assumed Church of Scotland, and there wouldn't be many of those churches south of the border.
  • Options

So you're basing your opinion on the say of the CURRENT Plymouth manager who has also managed in the SPL. Do you also believe when a newly signed player declares they signed for Charlton because we are such a big club. He's manager of Plymouth, of course he's going to play up the standard of the league and his team