Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

photos only, no discussion

Comments

• Options
    Barriers just closed
  • Options
    Is that Jesus up front @markofkent
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Is that Jesus up front @markofkent
    yep ..... he is the only thing that keeps the camper rolling lol

and we won promotion since he has been in the camper  <3
  • Options
    Barriers just closed
    You on Maybanks pier @Baldybonce ?
  • Options
    .....scrap that, Maybanks pier in the photo lol
  • Options
    Barriers just closed
    In the bargeworks.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Barriers just closed
    In the bargeworks.
    Used to catch the eels off Maybanks pier and down on the shoreline at low tide
  • Options
    Mad old river by the barrier there, you'd be catching flattys as the tide came in and there'd be roach and frogs as the tide went out. Must've been right on the point where salt water went to fresh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    My uncles had rowing boats they'd built themselves moored in front of the Yacht pub. As 9/10 year olds we borrowed them and rowed down to the barges and played on them.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Up towards Greenwich from where you are, there used to be an old wooden pier with a big old rusty crane on it, caked in pigeon shit. We used shimmy up the jib, dangle off and drop into the water from it. Never done us no harm
  • Options
    Up towards Greenwich from where you are, there used to be an old wooden pier with a big old rusty crane on it, caked in pigeon shit. We used shimmy up the jib, dangle off and drop into the water from it. Never done us no harm
    Kids now would never be allowed to do anything like what we used to do.
  • Options
    lol. Our safe place was the walk way! After beating the under current and wading through the 2 foot of mud
  • Options
    My grandad said he used to swim up by Greenwich pier. They used to use the last person to get out’s shirt to dry themselves.

He also said you’d often see dead animals floating by (amongst other things)
  • Options
    My grandad said he used to swim up by Greenwich pier. They used to use the last person to get out’s shirt to dry themselves.

He also said you’d often see dead animals floating by (amongst other things)
    We used to drown a week old kitten to attract the eels in
  • Options
    ...and older than a week and they'dd scratch your arm to buggery
  • Options
    Great Photo that @Baldybonce
  • Options
    Finally the rain stopped, Tropical Darrzzet this evening
  • Options
    Great Photo that @Baldybonce
    Cheers. Just spur of the moment on my phone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you work on the river @Baldybonce?
  • Options
    Sometimes. Afternoons at the bargeworks.
  • Options
    Would love to have got a start somewhere down there. Sent letters to Cory every year for about 5 years after leaving school, but never heard back 
  • Options
    Would love to have got a start somewhere down there. Sent letters to Cory every year for about 5 years after leaving school, but never heard back 
    I’m a contractor so just visiting. Like yourself i tried to get on the river when i left school but no luck. Until recently it was father to son but even now it’s who you know..
  • Options
    I’m a contractor so just visiting. Like yourself i tried to get on the river when i left school but no luck. Until recently it was father to son but even now it’s who you know..
    There was a well known family who passed it down. They were into the Lighterman / Waterman rowing race thing. I think they are more pleasure boats though. And there was a ginger lad I used to have mutual friends with, he was the youngest to get his Thames licence apparently. That's all changed too, the EU brought in different rules and the quality of people has gone down hill, so I've been told
  • Options
    There was a well known family who passed it down. They were into the Lighterman / Waterman rowing race thing. I think they are more pleasure boats though. And there was a ginger lad I used to have mutual friends with, he was the youngest to get his Thames licence apparently. That's all changed too, the EU brought in different rules and the quality of people has gone down hill, so I've been told
    If i’m correct the ginger lad is still here and i’ve just been talking to him :)
  • Options
    Photos only no discussion.
    ahem.  
    tho i did slip myself. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Photos only no discussion.
    ahem.  
    tho i did slip myself. 
    Just for you while i’m killing time