Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Legendary concerts you were at...?

Comments

• Options
    The last supper.
  • Options
    The Who, with guests The Stranglers + AC/DC (original lineup) Wembley August 1979
  • Options
    Mum got me and me pal tickets to the Steve Marriott testimonial gig at the London Astoria in 2001 - Weller, Noel Gallagher, Mclagan, Humble Pie and err Midge fuckin Ure to name a few........well twas legendary in my eyes. Tin Soldier starts up and I wouldn't be over exaggerating to say I cum in me pants. Seeing one of me mates dads on stage with em at the end curtain call (he was a doorman) and buying Weller's guitar tech a beer all went towards it gaining legendary status for me..

• Options

TelMc32 said:

The Jam in Brighton (last gig)

Numerous Icicle Works gigs at the Town & Country club (usually by the speakers)

Live 8 at Hyde Park (notable for me for Coldplay/Richard Ashcroft, The Killers, The Who & Pink Floyd)

Madstock at Finsbury Park for the "earthquake"

The Verve at Brixton for a Shelter gig

Primal Scream at Hard Rock Cafe (100 people, free, including the beer)

Icicle Works - Do you follow Ian McNabb on Facebook? Very entertaining fellow
    I don't do Facebook mate, but maybe I should in that case.

Had some brilliant nights at their gigs, mostly at the T&C, but the Astoria as well. McNab played New Cross a couple of weeks ago and is back at the New Cross Inn on Sept 18th.
  • Options

Mum got me and me pal tickets to the Steve Marriott testimonial gig at the London Astoria in 2001 - Weller, Noel Gallagher, Mclagan, Humble Pie and err Midge fuckin Ure to name a few........well twas legendary in my eyes. Tin Soldier starts up and I wouldn't be over exaggerating to say I cum in me pants. Seeing one of me mates dads on stage with em at the end curtain call (he was a doorman) and buying Weller's guitar tech a beer all went towards it gaining legendary status for me..

Good shout for Steve Marriott and Humble Pie, one of the best live bands around at the time.
  • Options

Oasis supported by the Verve in 97 at Earls Court. Not legendary but I had a great night

I was there + their last gig at the new Wembley supported by Kasabian, the enemy and Florence and the machine...absolutely mental day
  • Options

Good shout for Steve Marriott and Humble Pie, one of the best live bands around at the time.
    Absolutely - Humble Pie and of course, for me one of the most influential bands of all time, Small Faces. Of all the bands I've never seen live I would put Small faces at the top of the list.

Although of course, sadly, Stevie had been gone for 10 years before the gig Bob mentions.
  • Options
    Prodigy - Battersea Power Station.
    Just after Smack My Bitch Up was released. A complete one off.
  • Options
    Jeeez hundreds

Sepultura supporting Sodom at the Marquee
    Metallica support Metal Church... again at the Marquee..
    Rancid / Offspring / Social Distortion all at Underworld (not at the same time)
    Green Day at the Garage....
    Dave Hause at the Barfly... he'd just given up drinking and got the crowd to share out his beer/spirits rider.. everyone was passing round plastic cups of booze...
    Kverletak at the Boderline.. made me remember just how raw and exciting live bands can be as the singer and guitarist spent the first two songs held up the crowd
    Anytime New Model Army or Ferocious Dog play....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarkyE83 said:

Prodigy - Battersea Power Station.
    Just after Smack My Bitch Up was released. A complete one off.

Went to their reunion gig at Brixton which was by far the best gig I have ever been to.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

U2 at The Lycium before they were famous about 1981/2. Brilliant

Oh the Good old days were the Best !

Was at that U2 gig. Was support The Skids?
    Also Led Zep Knebworth.
    The Who Lewisham Odeon supported by Dire Straits.
    Too many others I can't recall but many a happy night at The Bridge House Canning Town.
    I honestly cant remember. Another bit from my past was I went out with Toyah Wilcoxs cousin one time (only once) and took her to The Valley pub. I also used to clean Jools Holland's dads Black Capri and waited in the front room for my 50p payment. while a young Mr Holland was playing/ practicing on the piano. Just pre-Squeeze. Ahh life with the Stars Eh !! Also saw Billy -Man of the People (NOT) -Bragg at the Tunnell Club before being removed for jumping on stage and calling him a wanker after grabbing the Microphone. Perhaps not my most sensible moment.
  • Options
    Seen many but a stand out moments;

The Who- last night of the Lewisham Odeon. Right at the front.
    30 odd years on my ears are still ringing.

Floyd at Earls Court -The Wall.

Last year Wilko Johnson supporting the real Quo. Not really legendary to many but they were to me in my youth and still today.

And next month on Blackheath a legendary gig by those musical legions Squeeze.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

The Jam in Brighton (last gig)

Numerous Icicle Works gigs at the Town & Country club (usually by the speakers)

Live 8 at Hyde Park (notable for me for Coldplay/Richard Ashcroft, The Killers, The Who & Pink Floyd)

Madstock at Finsbury Park for the "earthquake"

The Verve at Brixton for a Shelter gig

Primal Scream at Hard Rock Cafe (100 people, free, including the beer)

I went to madstock at Finsbury Park, 92ish? They hadn't played together for a while, it was a reunion weren't it. Mental day out. I got slaughtered. Don't remember getting home.
  • Options
    Led Zep, Knebworth
    Led Zep, Earls Court
    The Who, Charlton 2nd one
    Eddie and the Hot Rods, Marquee, recorded released as an EP
    Thin Lizzy, Greyhound Croydon (another mention for this venue - they had some great bands there)

Been to hundreds of other gigs, but these fit the criteria of being legendary (with the exception of the Lizzy one, maybe).

I was at the Who Lewisham Odeon gig but to my shame, I don't remember the support act, which I read above was Dire Straits!
  • Options

Not quite as legendary as some these classic bands but I've been lucky enough to see Arctic Monkeys at some pretty special gigs - well known among their fan base. I know of people who would've done anything to be at them for one reason or another eg special version of a song or memorable moment.

Arctic Monkeys at Don Valley Bowl, Sheffield. June 2011.

Arctic Monkeys, live at L'Olympia Bruno Coquatrix, Paris. February 2012.

Arctic Monkeys at Madison Square Garden, New York City. February 2014.

Did Alex Turner crack a smile?
  • Options
    Stranglers at Battersea Park - crops up in lots of their videos, probably something to do with the strippers that day.

The Damneds farewell gig in 1978....and their 40th anniversary gig this year.
  • Options

Radiohead at Glastonbury....

(Was actually watching The Seahorses on the Other Stage.....doh!)

I was getting a blowie in my tent and missed both.
  • Options
    Hermit Hermits, Freddie and the dreamers, Gene Pitney, Dave Clark Five, Cliff Richard Lewisham Odean.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was at this gig. What a night. I kept bumping into old friends who all came out of the woodwork for this one.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Radiohead at Glastonbury....

(Was actually watching The Seahorses on the Other Stage.....doh!)

I was getting a blowie in my tent and missed both.
    respect for your staying power, then. And for your girlfriend's.

• Options

Not quite as legendary as some these classic bands but I've been lucky enough to see Arctic Monkeys at some pretty special gigs - well known among their fan base. I know of people who would've done anything to be at them for one reason or another eg special version of a song or memorable moment.

Arctic Monkeys at Don Valley Bowl, Sheffield. June 2011.

Arctic Monkeys, live at L'Olympia Bruno Coquatrix, Paris. February 2012.

Arctic Monkeys at Madison Square Garden, New York City. February 2014.

Did Alex Turner crack a smile?
    Sadly, probably not. He turned into a moody bastard around 2009 and hasn't changed since.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Led Zep, Knebworth
    Led Zep, Earls Court
    The Who, Charlton 2nd one
    Eddie and the Hot Rods, Marquee, recorded released as an EP
    Thin Lizzy, Greyhound Croydon (another mention for this venue - they had some great bands there)

Been to hundreds of other gigs, but these fit the criteria of being legendary (with the exception of the Lizzy one, maybe).

I was at the Who Lewisham Odeon gig but to my shame, I don't remember the support act, which I read above was Dire Straits!

Nine Below Zero

I didn't think they were too shabby either
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Not me, but I feel its worth a mention...

My dad saw Jimi Hendrix at The Black Prince, I guess 1966?

Jesus Christ, would I have liked to have seen that. Think he played the Bromley Court and Chiselhurst Caves as well on that tour. I saw Rory Gallagher at the Black Prince, and Uriah Heep, it was so loud with the low ceiling, the sound bounced off the floor and hit you right in the stomach. Not 'very umble', but certainly heavy. Gallagher played with his vox ac30, on two chairs. Best blues I ever heard!.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Not me, but I feel its worth a mention...

My dad saw Jimi Hendrix at The Black Prince, I guess 1966?

Jesus Christ, would I have liked to have seen that. Think he played the Bromley Court and Chiselhurst Caves as well on that tour. I saw Rory Gallagher at the Black Prince, and Uriah Heep, it was so loud with the low ceiling, the sound bounced off the floor and hit you right in the stomach. Not 'very umble', but certainly heavy. Gallagher played with his vox ac30, on two chairs. Best blues I ever heard!.
    Hendrix did play the Bromley court hotel.
  • Options
    Oasis - Knebworth (and about 50 other places)

Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg's first UK performance together at Brixton Academy.

Radiohead at Glastonbury 97

• Options

I was at this too mate, a fantastic night. Was over the moon that Humble Pie got back together for this (Frampton, Clem Clemson, Jerry Shirley and Greg Ridley) as I only thought Framton was playing. They stole the show for me but Weller and Gallagher were good too.

I've mentioned it before but was lucky enough to see Marriott at the tramshed in 84, met him and got him to sign a Humble Pie album, which I've still got.

• Options
    Solidgone said:

Hermit Hermits, Freddie and the dreamers, Gene Pitney, Dave Clark Five, Cliff Richard Lewisham Odean.

I hope you started smashing the chairs up when they sang Glad All Over