Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do the club's staff have literacy issues?

Comments

• Options
    boggzy said:

boggzy said:

I went on the site on Saturday morning to see how much it would be to pay at Walsall.

After three minutes of going round in circles and nothing about the game whatsoever, I gave up.

Yet within 10 seconds I found this "Tickets are priced at £20 adults and £15 over 60s and under 18s, though these will be subject to a £2 increase on the day of the game."
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-match-preview-walsall-bankss-stadium-3259301.aspx#DDeiHLwHPWLe7uxV.99
    Just looked again on my smartphone which I was using.

My mistake - Looking for ticket information I went immediately to 'tickets' rather than news.

Silly me.
    Yes, it was a bit silly.
  • Options
    Wasn't her PA's job advertised at about 16k? I'm sure there would be many exec PA's who would be happy to work locally but on a salary that they could afford to live on and support yourself.
  • Options

Their website and twitter feed are always littered with mistakes and out of date information.

It's what I'd expect from a poorly managed company who have no pride in anything they do.

That's not a dig at the individuals that maintain them. They are more than likely overstretched and underpaid and I very much doubt they have had any training or have the relevant experience to do that job.

If the club bothered to invest in their careers I'm sure we'd see an improvement.

George and Olly both have degrees in Journalism but as you can see there are only two of them when there used to be four or five. Maybe that is the reason things are done in a hurry/under pressure and mistakes creep in.

You can find similar errors in the mainstream media and other, much richer, club's websites and twitter. That doesn't mean that's it's OK for our staff to make mistake but there are reasons beyond their control and nothing to do with no training.

• Options
    Fick fookin carnts!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    /
  • Options

Their website and twitter feed are always littered with mistakes and out of date information.

It's what I'd expect from a poorly managed company who have no pride in anything they do.

That's not a dig at the individuals that maintain them. They are more than likely overstretched and underpaid and I very much doubt they have had any training or have the relevant experience to do that job.

If the club bothered to invest in their careers I'm sure we'd see an improvement.

George and Olly both have degrees in Journalism but as you can see there are only two of them when there used to be four or five. Maybe that is the reason things are done in a hurry/under pressure and mistakes creep in.

You can find similar errors in the mainstream media and other, much richer, club's websites and twitter. That doesn't mean that's it's OK for our staff to make mistake but there are reasons beyond their control and nothing to do with no training.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. :wink:
    What's wrong with that ?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. :wink:
    What's wrong with that ?
    If talking about ONE club then club's is correct. It should be clubs' when talking about more than one club.

Charlton Life pedantry lesson no: 3894
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Good point well made. Ha Mountsfield has deleted it and he was correct :smile:
  • Options

What a weird subject to bring up

Meaning unique.
  • Options
    Remember years ago in Curb's column that the team 'equipped' themselves in the previous game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you do @Splodge .. DOES the club's staff .. not DO the club's staff ?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Good point well made. Ha Mountsfield has deleted it and he was correct :smile:

Yes, I knew I was correct. I just decided I didn't want to add more fuel to the fire.

It's Katrien I feel sorry for (sic). Every day the Belgium heroine has to struggle to clean out these Augean stables of English plebdom. It's shitty shit. For sure.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    No response from the club - all in a meeting working out the definition of literacy.
  • Options

No response from the club - all in a meeting working out the definition of literacy.

Too busy laying out their stools more likely.
  • Options
    I expect any of you lot to get called in to sign your ADC contracts before long.
  • Options

Too busy laying out their stools more likely.
  • Options
    Most problems with using the wrong word is due to the auto-correct function set up on most media devices.
  • Options
    Their just all dum.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Most problems with using the wrong word is due to the auto-correct function set up on most media devices.

Rubbish! It's almost entirely down to user error in most cases.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Duck off is it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I suggest making all future official club announcements in Flemish.
  • Options
    To be fair, I do some copy editing for a website and it is a job that requires a bit of time and attention to detail. The errors on the Charlton website and in the match programme indicate to me (yet again!) how under-resourced the press team at the Valley are. No time, not enough people to do the job properly and poor management oversight (but still micro-managed when it suits Ms Meire's needs).
  • Options

Certainly must've been a steely display to come away with three points from Walsall.

It was actually "Wallsall" up until Friday night
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Dansk_Red said:

Rubbish! It's almost entirely down to user error in most cases.
    That in no way excuses such errors. Any competent organisation gives media releases a second - and possibly a third - eye. It is their public face and so should reflect the professionalism of the organisation.
  • Options
    It really comes down to how the message is interpretated by the reader. In this case I don't have a problem with 'metal' as I can't rule out Ajose was [incorrectly] saying and meaning the word 'metal' and rather than 'mettle'.
  • Options
    For the latest example I would generously suggest it is an attempt at being poetic :smiley:
  • Options
    The time simply must just fly! Right, back to work.
  • Options
    As the club's main organ for communication with the wider world, all content ought to be closely proof read before publication. We are all too aware of the infectious deterioration that results from the delusional penny pinching imposed by the current regime. The additional stress experienced by the website staff must be considerable. This in no way excuses their failings of spelling, grammar, syntax and punctuation. My zeal in this area is usually derided as elitist pedantry but my resolve is undimmed. I will call out shoddy composition when I see it. If I were employed in a writing or publishing role such inadequacy would be humiliating.

The irony of my rant on a tiny forum, from behind a pseudonym, is not lost.
  • Options
    Perhaps the mistakes are done on purpose, it gets readers talking about it, others read the article to see if they can find any more mistakes, and hey presto, more people read the article than would normally, good bit of marketing!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Can you cite examples? As far as the Twitter feed having mistakes, if it's on the minute-by-minute (MBM) for matches then keep in mind those are tweets written quickly during a game. Actually, in general, it's Twitter. I think we could spend a lot of time analyzing what is appropriate spelling and syntax etiquette.

I've seen some out-of-date information, but usually when I see it, at least on the club homepage, it's because nothing else is going on with the club. In the few times a year I look at other clubs' sites--ones at a comparative level to us--our media team usually comes out on top.

That said, if you want to see a club site done well go check out Manchester City's. They just changed the layout which is a bit, busy for my taste, but they just have loads and loads of content (presumably because they're a wealthy club with lots of employees and ways to generate content).