Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• 2-0 Win- Luke Carey- Ben Dempsey on the goals!

What was the team @tommy12317 ?
  • 2-0 Win- Luke Carey- Ben Dempsey on the goals!

Never heard of either. Are they U18s or new signings?
  • Ben Dempsey was the U18 captain that won their trophy at the end of last season. A big strong dependable no nonsense deep lying midfielder/defender who's style is one of no frills efficiency.
    Luke Carey I know less about, and hope one of the other below first team watchers can comment on him.
  • Thanks Seth.
  • Seth or Dick,BB; any idea what is up with Josh Umerah? Useful player but not at QPR friendly. But Hanlan was useful and he has gone.
  • The Umerah-Hanlan thing has been a bit hard to follow.
    Both have been on loans, both able to get a goal or two at U23 level. I often saw Umerah played wide with hanlan central when I thought they would be better the other way round. Hanlan energetic and active, Umerah forceful and with presence.
    Karlan was always around and about in the mix with those two as well.
    I somehow think the managerial turbulence of the last three or four years has not helped their progress, Jason Euell has soldiered away with them, but I fear that Josh is still very much on the fringes.
    We have never been in a stable enough condition as a club to allow sensible progress with those two...or three if you count Karlan.
    Another player not aided by general club shenanigans is Dillon Phillips.
  • edited July 2018
    Can't remember a Charlton player that can hit a ball harder than Umerah. Kharkouri?
  • Eastbourne Borough v Charlton U23
    0-0 at half-time.
  • FT Eastbourne Borough 0 Charlton 1 (Sarmiento)

Any team news @captainbob ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Will try to watch them at sparrows lane Tuesday lunchtime v Cambridge.
  • Interesting Sarmiento played. I think he only moves into the u18s this season. Worth keeping an eye on his progress this season if we manage to keep him here.
  • Sorry everyone, no team news as I arrived just after they read out the team. I asked for a teamsheet but was told they're not produced for preseason friendlies. I do know Umerah played and that there were something like seven trialists in the squad.
    Almost no shots by either side until the 80th minute when we came alive, although Eastbourne came the closest before the goal with a well-worked move, ending with a shot against the post.
    For me, our number 11 stood out, a diminutive livewire who got stuck in and looked dangerous running at their defence. I was going to ask who he was but didn't have to as he scored near the end and his name was read out.
    Wish I could tell you more but I haven't watched the youth before so didn't know any of them.

Cheers @captainbob thanks for the info.
  • Sorry everyone, no team news as I arrived just after they read out the team. I asked for a teamsheet but was told they're not produced for preseason friendlies. I do know Umerah played and that there were something like seven trialists in the squad.
    Almost no shots by either side until the 80th minute when we came alive, although Eastbourne came the closest before the goal with a well-worked move, ending with a shot against the post.
    For me, our number 11 stood out, a diminutive livewire who got stuck in and looked dangerous running at their defence. I was going to ask who he was but didn't have to as he scored near the end and his name was read out.
    Wish I could tell you more but I haven't watched the youth before so didn't know any of them.

Thanks but what was the number elevens name ?

• Jeremy Sarmiento, he named him further up. He’s the player Man City were linked with earlier this year.
  • edited July 2018

Sorry everyone, no team news as I arrived just after they read out the team. I asked for a teamsheet but was told they're not produced for preseason friendlies. I do know Umerah played and that there were something like seven trialists in the squad.

Thanks but what was the number elevens name ?

Sarmiento. English/Spanish/Ecuadorean winger.

Next big thing to come out of our academy by all accounts. Man City and the like sniffing around him.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/17/report-charlton-braced-for-manchester-city-approach-for-jeremy-s/

• For me, our number 11 stood out, a diminutive livewire who got stuck in and looked dangerous running at their defence.

I also went today and agree with this. Thought he was our best player. Also didn't catch his name.
  • Yes, number 11 was Sarmiento. What I liked was how despite being slight in build, he didn't pull out of a challenge and he didn't come off second best. He looked like a player who wants to drive forward if he can, either with a pass or by taking his opponent on.
  • Delighted to see Sarmiento scored...I was told earlier this week he was on the move and had gone on the missing list!

• Sponsored links:

• Incidentally, I was talking recently with a scout from one of the top four clubs and he said that Steve Avory is one of the very best (he may have said 'the best') at developing young talent, given that Chelsea hoover up the first-choice youngsters and SA is turning third or fourth choice youngsters into £10m players.
  • A friend is asking about Josh Umerah. Did he play at Eastbourne? Is he injured?
  • A friend is asking about Josh Umerah. Did he play at Eastbourne? Is he injured?

I thought I heard his name read out yesterday as I was parking the car. Ninety-five per cent certain he played.
  • Surprised Bow not looking at him, especially as Mag and Ajose have their coats on.

Sarm

Yes, number 11 was Sarmiento. What I liked was how despite being slight in build, he didn't pull out of a challenge and he didn't come off second best. He looked like a player who wants to drive forward if he can, either with a pass or by taking his opponent on.

I was at the game yesterday as well.

Sarmiento was fantastic, he totally controlled the game when he came on as a half-time substitute.
  • What position did Sarmiento play?
  • clive said:
    Health and safety, Bollox might fall into the Lookman trench.
  • seth plum said:

clive said:
    Health and safety, Bollox might fall into the Lookman trench.
    Oh well I'll be one of my secret shopping assignments instead!